how many flights on your phantom 2

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum. I've been doing lots of research over the last 4 weeks as I'm planning on buying a P2 with gimble and eventually go FPV. I've learned alot reading this and other forums. There are many scary posts about P2's dropping out of the sky for no reason, or having fly away issues.

So my question is for P2 owners:

How many flights have you done on with your P2 without any technical issues?

What issues have you experienced?

After how many flights did you experience this issue?

Any other details are welcome :)

Thanks.

I've had mine for a about 2 months and even though it is not my first experience with RC it is the first since 45 years ago when I flew gliders, nitro-powered planes and 1/8 scale nitro-race cars. I was also a real pilot for many years so chose the Phantom 2 as the perfect way to get back into a very enjoyable sport that I grew up loving as my father worked for Eastern Air Lines.

My first few flights were without incident as I was rather conservative after hearing many of the 'tales' of flyaways and crashes. I did test the range by flying out 850' at about 150' in altitude and the FPV monitor started to flicker so I chickened out and brought her closer in. I started out with the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse Gimbal, GoPro 3, AVL58 video transmitter, mini iOSD, solderless FPV Hub, Circular antennas, and a FlySight Black Pearl monitor with built in dual receivers.

I have since purchased but have not flown with, a Lumenier DX600 DVR to record flights with data, a FlySight 5.8GHz 1.2 Watts A/V Transmitter and their recommended bracket to hold it on, a Circular Wireless HELIAXIAL58 5.8 GHz FPV Directional Antenna, and a couple of LED 'headlights' just for fun although users report better orientation control in distance flying. These 'headlights' are just a few grams in weight, really bright, use negligible power, and can be seen even in daytime if the front is pointed at you. I hope for extended distance video with the new 1.2 watt transmitter and the weird looking directional receiver antenna. I will report later how well it works and how much the high wattage transmitter affects battery life.

As I said my first number of flights were without incident. But in the last two weeks I had two crashes. In the first one the damage was limited to one prop losing its tip. The second was more severe and damaged the Zenmuse gimbal which the dealer said he would send it back to DJI to see if they could repair it. Probably back to China as I think one motor is 'smoking' and needs replacement and it needs to be re-calibrated. Hopefully they can fix it.

Both accidents after investigation by the Neighborhood Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) :D revealed "pilot error". Not surprising since most real aircraft accidents are caused by the same. I calibrated the compass well away from my house and vehicle as the instructions state and all was well for about a month. Then as I got more cocky I started flying off the deck at the back of my house and right in the front yard. In the first accident I was showing how the "fail safe" worked and turned off the transmitter. The drone rose to the 60' altitude came back and located over the take off point on the deck then on descent tried to land on the roof slid off and hit the deck. Damage: One prop.

The second was again a test of the "fail safe". Found the take off spot and started to descend but then started to drift over to the house, his some tree branches and fell straight down. In my panic I couldn't flip the switches fast enough to regain control. Damage: Bent and cracked one of the "arms" of the body (since replaced) and damaged the gimbal which I've sent to the dealer for repair with a possible motor burn-out and needs calibration as it's spastic now (probably has to go back to China). After thinking about it for a few hours I determined the steel roof of my house was messing up the compass/GPS in fail safe most probably acting like a magnet drawing the craft to it. Duh!...It must be some advancing senility to not realize how that large area of surface steel would effect the compass and maybe reflect the GPS signals. Partial stupidity since it was stupid to fly near the house when I live in a very rural area and have a number of acres of unobstructed flying area, and partial laziness on my part. This was an expensive lesson.

So the updated software and hardware seem to work great but the pilot needs to upgrade their common sense to safely fly these aircraft. I would bet most of the flyaways were also pilot error. Mainly pilots failed to calibrate the compass before flying from a new location which may have unseen metal which could effect its R-T-H or hovering capabilities. I've heard of some crashes caused by coming down from altitude too fast which can cause prop stalling and once it tilts past its limits is not recoverable. This happens in real choppers too. I would recommend a pre and post-flight check list just like one would do in a real aircraft to avoid most accidents. Oh yeah, join and follow the suggested rules of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and the FAA so the government stays out of our business in regard to RC flying.

I have had 138 flights, and have flown into the odd tree, along the way mostly caused by not concentrating, few broken props and that's all.

for Reference to the poster above, use the right hard toggle switch to switch out of "fail Safe" and back in to manual,

Simon

phantom 2 owned for about 3 months, about 60 flights and no major incidents, a couple hard landings and it was my mistake.

JerEl said:
I've had mine for a about 2 months and even though it is not my first experience with RC it is the first since 45 years ago when I flew gliders, nitro-powered planes and 1/8 scale nitro-race cars. I was also a real pilot for many years so chose the Phantom 2 as the perfect way to get back into a very enjoyable sport that I grew up loving as my father worked for Eastern Air Lines.

My first few flights were without incident as I was rather conservative after hearing many of the 'tales' of flyaways and crashes. I did test the range by flying out 850' at about 150' in altitude and the FPV monitor started to flicker so I chickened out and brought her closer in. I started out with the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse Gimbal, GoPro 3, AVL58 video transmitter, mini iOSD, solderless FPV Hub, Circular antennas, and a FlySight Black Pearl monitor with built in dual receivers.

I have since purchased but have not flown with, a Lumenier DX600 DVR to record flights with data, a FlySight 5.8GHz 1.2 Watts A/V Transmitter and their recommended bracket to hold it on, a Circular Wireless HELIAXIAL58 5.8 GHz FPV Directional Antenna, and a couple of LED 'headlights' just for fun although users report better orientation control in distance flying. These 'headlights' are just a few grams in weight, really bright, use negligible power, and can be seen even in daytime if the front is pointed at you. I hope for extended distance video with the new 1.2 watt transmitter and the weird looking directional receiver antenna. I will report later how well it works and how much the high wattage transmitter affects battery life.

As I said my first number of flights were without incident. But in the last two weeks I had two crashes. In the first one the damage was limited to one prop losing its tip. The second was more severe and damaged the Zenmuse gimbal which the dealer said he would send it back to DJI to see if they could repair it. Probably back to China as I think one motor is 'smoking' and needs replacement and it needs to be re-calibrated. Hopefully they can fix it.

Both accidents after investigation by the Neighborhood Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) :D revealed "pilot error". Not surprising since most real aircraft accidents are caused by the same. I calibrated the compass well away from my house and vehicle as the instructions state and all was well for about a month. Then as I got more cocky I started flying off the deck at the back of my house and right in the front yard. In the first accident I was showing how the "fail safe" worked and turned off the transmitter. The drone rose to the 60' altitude came back and located over the take off point on the deck then on descent tried to land on the roof slid off and hit the deck. Damage: One prop.

The second was again a test of the "fail safe". Found the take off spot and started to descend but then started to drift over to the house, his some tree branches and fell straight down. In my panic I couldn't flip the switches fast enough to regain control. Damage: Bent and cracked one of the "arms" of the body (since replaced) and damaged the gimbal which I've sent to the dealer for repair with a possible motor burn-out and needs calibration as it's spastic now (probably has to go back to China). After thinking about it for a few hours I determined the steel roof of my house was messing up the compass/GPS in fail safe most probably acting like a magnet drawing the craft to it. Duh!...It must be some advancing senility to not realize how that large area of surface steel would effect the compass and maybe reflect the GPS signals. Partial stupidity since it was stupid to fly near the house when I live in a very rural area and have a number of acres of unobstructed flying area, and partial laziness on my part. This was an expensive lesson.

So the updated software and hardware seem to work great but the pilot needs to upgrade their common sense to safely fly these aircraft. I would bet most of the flyaways were also pilot error. Mainly pilots failed to calibrate the compass before flying from a new location which may have unseen metal which could effect its R-T-H or hovering capabilities. I've heard of some crashes caused by coming down from altitude too fast which can cause prop stalling and once it tilts past its limits is not recoverable. This happens in real choppers too. I would recommend a pre and post-flight check list just like one would do in a real aircraft to avoid most accidents. Oh yeah, join and follow the suggested rules of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and the FAA so the government stays out of our business in regard to RC flying.

jerei have the exact same configuration and since i installed the h3-3d im having erratic and unstable flight, i've been playing with the gains but havent been able to properly adjust them. do you mind sharing your gains to compare with mine?
thanks!

Only about 20 or so flights in various configurations.
Currently has H3-3D gimbal along with Gopro 3+ on it.
No issues to speak of other than a "go home and land" which I didn't realise at the time and I thought it was flying away on me :roll:

I have had my P2 for just under a week. I took it out for hte first time today for 3 flights. I have the H3-3D gimbal with a Gopro Her3+ Black mounted. I had no issues with going around my property and getting some elevation as well. The nimbal-ness of the Phantom really amazed me.

The biggest thing i think that helped me is that i have done RC on/off-road and crawling for years. The key is understanding the Phantom is dynamic, "forward" changes all the time. With the Phantom coming towards you and understanding that left is now right, and right is now left will save you. For your first flights, take it easy. I had one of those moments of "i'm a pro already, woohoo" and just then the Phantom almost hit a tree.

I say this to not scare you at all, but just to press the idea is that the Phantom is the boss. It needs your attention to ensure and safe and fun flight.

Above all, enjoy it. I've only taken mine out for a short time and i get butterflies thinking of the next time to take to the skies. You will love it.

Hi,
"How many flights have you done on with your P2 without any technical issues?"
about 200.

weak transmission signal to FPV.

6, changed to cloverleaf antennas.

Cheers Mark

chapsrlz said:
jerei have the exact same configuration and since i installed the h3-3d im having erratic and unstable flight, i've been playing with the gains but havent been able to properly adjust them. do you mind sharing your gains to compare with mine?
thanks!

I've left everything like it came from the factory. Just updated everything that needed it, checked the throws on the sticks and gimbal, and that was it. A lot of people claim they calibrate the compass before every flight day as it seems to be as important or more important than the GPS. Others say they recalibrate the compass only if they change takeoff sites (like one park to another). I noticed on YouTube that the long distance flights seem to be made at deserted ocean or lake front places which I assume keeps any interference far away. Those flying in cities have more flyaways and erratic behavior. They say that cell phone towers (or any transmitting tower) are bad to fly around. And cell phone towers are all over the place even in the rural area in NW Florida where I live. I do receive a lot of GPS satellites here. Probably because there are no obstructions and we have buried utility wires which may help from stop any interference from faulty transformers (loud hummers).

I didn't count them but it must be over 200 flights in total with a FC40 and since 6 weeks also a Phantom2.

Never had a technical issue other but a bad battery connector on the FC40 that led to one controlled crash in the hedges, the second day I had it. I had only one self produced crash when I brought my FC40 in quite fast and from a considerable height, descending at 5 m/s and a forward speed of 10 m/s, forgetting it was still in Atti mode. When I centred the sticks it kept on flying because the GPS hold didn't kick in in that mode of course. It crashed against the side wall of my neighbours house. Damage 1 broken prop and a tiny hair crack in one of the motor arms, no big deal.

With the P2 I have had zero issues. The only issue I had so far is trying to get rid of vibrations in the cheap Walkera gimbal I got for it (and I finally decided that I'm going to live with it until I shell out the money for a Zenmuse. But it flies very good so far (some 50 flights). No crashes. I take it 1.5 Km out, mostly over the lake behind my house,taking off from my balcony, with a Fatshark Predator V2 FPV set and IOSD (must have). Fine video connection, even with the stock antennae. Haven't tested the limit of the stock Phantom2 radio yet. But the range must be well over 2 Km (over the lake) I recon.

Close to 200 in 6 months.

I just started my second set of 4 batteries.

My gimbal (v 1) has started acting up and not finishing the calibration cycle sometimes. I bought a new one that will work with my Hero 4. That is what I am running now. I am waiting on an RMA from DJI on my old gimbal.

"I just started my second set of 4 batteries."

What happened to the first set? Cheers Mark

TomasBKK said:
Hi guys, new to the forum. I've been doing lots of research over the last 4 weeks as I'm planning on buying a P2 with gimble and eventually go FPV. I've learned alot reading this and other forums. There are many scary posts about P2's dropping out of the sky for no reason, or having fly away issues.

So my question is for P2 owners:

How many flights have you done on with your P2 without any technical issues?

Any other details are welcome :)

Thanks.

Had mine for three months, 44 flights. I experienced VRS once and on my first flight I tried to land on the case and it slipped off and broke a prop. I had one issue when I updated P2. The camera tilt quit working. Followed advice on here and got it working. Other than that its flown like a champ.

I've had mine 10 months, too many flights to remember.

Only one major incident, blade failure at 120m altitude. Luckily it fell into a hawthorn hedge. Body shell was damaged with one motor mount cracked.

Early on I replaced the stock Receiver / Transmitter with a Futaba 8J

Over 300, not even a broken prop... Everything is working as it should. Got mine almost a year ago in december 2013.

q8f1 said:

I started having problems with all of them. 2 of them got puffy and started to auto-land early after 35 - 40 flights and the other 2 just started acting up at after about the same amount.

I have noticed with the the last 2 that I can fly them safely down to about 30-40% as long as I am hovering and not accelerating hard. When I do that, the voltage drops below 10.7 and the red lights start to blink, but go back to green if I go back to hover.

I am sure my problem is that I was leaving them charged all the time. I was filming about every other day this summer and had to be ready at a minutes notice. I am leaving this batch uncharged.

The general rule for LiPos to date (technology is always changing) is to store them a 50% charge.

This equates to about 11.4 volts for a 3S pack. So about 2 LEDs 'On' when you press the battery power button for checking.

thanks for the replies.
I got 8 flights under my belt right now. so far it's flying great...

badbrad97 said:
q8f1 said:

I started having problems with all of them. 2 of them got puffy and started to auto-land early after 35 - 40 flights and the other 2 just started acting up at after about the same amount.

I have noticed with the the last 2 that I can fly them safely down to about 30-40% as long as I am hovering and not accelerating hard. When I do that, the voltage drops below 10.7 and the red lights start to blink, but go back to green if I go back to hover.

I am sure my problem is that I was leaving them charged all the time. I was filming about every other day this summer and had to be ready at a minutes notice. I am leaving this batch uncharged.

UPDATE!:
I would like to say that since updating to 3.08 and updating all my batteries from v2.0 to v2.6 three of my older batteries have stopped autolanding early and can be flown safely all the way down to 10%. This was the best update yet. Although the "fixing the compass" update was pretty nice too.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl