How many charge cycles can one expect on the P3 batteries?

I've done only 17 flights to date and have always seen 100% life on my stock battery. Today I charged it and when I started the P3 up it said it only had 91% battery charge, fresh off the charger. Also the battery life was down to 83% from 100% yesterday. At this rate I will have a dead battery in a month. Surely they should last longer than this!

I've been flying in temps around 100F or 38C and the battery is too hot to hold when I take it out right after a flight. Would running the P3 in the heat be killing the battery? Would cycling the battery fix this?

Thanks!
Hello there,
This is what I use...a smart powercharge...model SPCP3...watch the vid...I think that the model in the vid is for Phantom 2...it will bring your batteries back from the dead...!!! ;-)

Link:

This is where I got it...!!! ;-)

Link: http://smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPCP3

Last edited:
Ouch $489 is kinda steep for a hobbyist.
Hello there,
Well maybe...but maybe not...If you watch the vid you will see that this test shows it brought a battery back...so if you want the most out of your $149.00
battery you need to have a smart deep cycle charging capable charger...it was hard for me to invest in this charger...but now that I have it I can`t do with out it...a small inverter (1000_w is what I use) in the field will run this thing...it has two usb...two charge port for RC...the foot print is so small...I just don`t know how I could fly with out it now...well just-say-in...!!! ;-)
FYI: I have 5 Phantom 3 batteries...!!! ;-)

Oh yeah I agree that it is a sweet charger. Maybe for 5 batteries, you're sitting on $750 invested there so the cost can be more justified. I wish I could justify it right now to myself. Maybe once I accumulate more batteries (I only have 2) it will be an easier purchase.

The guy's a little loose with the facts and terminology but hey he's just trying to sell.

His description of balancing, charge fast then slow via his analogy, is incorrect and NO charger has ANY control over true cell balancing when applied to a DJI intelligent battery.

I'm sure it's convenient if you have many batts but to imply better battery performance as a result of THIS charger is dubious. DJI has insulated from the user all the common LiPo battery pitfalls with their intelligent interface.

Not sure I believe you, 50 flights is not the same as 50 battery cycles. I would be shocked if I only got 50 flights out of one of my batteries.

I sure hope I get more than 50 cycles from my batteries. Otherwise I will ditch this entire hobby altogether.

I have a 14 month old Phantom with none of the original two batteries. You won't get more than 50 flights without some issues, and way less if you bang or drop them.

I have 235 charges on 1 battery and 173 on another. Both are fine.

Reactions: juniorj
this sounds very good
and what is their actual capacity? (according to the DJI GO)
do you take any special care of them?

The 235 I get a max of 97 and 98 from the 173. Honestly when it comes to batteries I treat em like a *****. Other than waiting for them to cool off before charging is all I do. I usually hand catch about 10-15% battery life left. I use the charger that comes with the Phantom 3 Pro.

The 235 I get a max of 97 and 98 from the 173. Honestly when it comes to batteries I treat em like a *****. Other than waiting for them to cool off before charging is all I do. I usually hand catch about 10-15% battery life left. I use the charger that comes with the Phantom 3 Pro.
okay, thanks for info ;)

Not sure I believe you, 50 flights is not the same as 50 battery cycles. I would be shocked if I only got 50 flights out of one of my batteries.

I agree.

And at $150 a battery (or is it down to $130 now?) - That turns things to being pretty expensive real quick.

I have a Thunder Tiger X50E Heli running on 12S 5000 mah batteries, I get about 7 minutes of 3D flight then I reach my 20 percent and land. My battery is hot but you can hold and not get burnt. If you take care of your batteries and let them cool down before you charge them, let them cool before you fly they should last for 100+ flights with out a notion failing.
This is my first Phantom so I can not give any valuable information about the life of the pack but if the cheap Chinese packs get 60 to 100 these better get 100+.
Make sure you set your discharge to less than 5 days and get in the habit of leaving it at 60% when you put it away it should do good. I set my discharge to 3 days knowing I am not in that much of a hurry for anything.

How do I modify the discharge rate?

I have one that I am charging now that has 50 Cycles on it and still takes 100% charge. I have had no problems still to this day and still get 20 minute flight times with it. I will say this I fly over water alot and will only use newer batteries for that this one is for over land only just in case it does decide to die in mid flight.

what does the , holding the bat power button down for 5sec and the leds on the bat come on? does this test tell bat life or whats left?

what does the , holding the bat power button down for 5sec and the leds on the bat come on? does this test tell bat life or whats left?
Yes. % of life remaining.

Reactions: G Lee
I've done only 17 flights to date and have always seen 100% life on my stock battery. Today I charged it and when I started the P3 up it said it only had 91% battery charge, fresh off the charger. Also the battery life was down to 83% from 100% yesterday. ........
Thanks!
I had this happen recently. It was a sudden change, not gradual as you would expect. Turned out cleaning the two battery data connection pads solved the problem. Also cleaned the 4 pins inside the A/C. Back up to 100% now. YMMV

My original PV2+ was bought early 2015 with a spare (DJI) battery and has over 230 flights on it, still working fine. I always aim to land at 30% (doesn't always happen, I'm not religious about it)

My battery has only 20 something charges and it's puffed. I'm so mad about this. I thinking of selling this proprietary turd and buying a quanum.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4