How Many batteries?

Reaction score
Just got my p2V+ 2 days ago...

Ordered it with a spare battery... and then on a whim, ordered another battery before the original package arrived. So I started thinking 3 batteries in total was over-kill....

Are you laughing at me yet?

Obviously after starting to use the p2V I found 3 batteries to STILL cut my fun way to short. AND, the thought that I almost went with just 1 or 2 batteries seemed insane!

So, how many batteries are you regular users rolling with?
Do you even bother trying to take a travel charger with you to recharge while in the field?

I have 2. I ordered 2 more. I also ordered a second charger. When I'm in my truck I have a 2 outlet inverter I use to charge 2 batteries at the same time. When I don't have my truck, I do have access to A/C power in the field, so far.

This is the way my theory works on batteries:

Battery #1 is good for 20 mins. I drain it till red zone. It'll take about a little over an hour to charge. So when I'm done, I plug that battery in. I use battery #2. That gives me another 20 minutes. Plug that one in. Then battery #3. Use that one for 20 mins. Swap batteries and use battery #4. By the end of that flight, battery #1 should be good to go, and I can put battery 3 on one of the chargers. Use battery #1, then unplug and set aside. Battery #2 should be good to go at this point, so unplug that, plug battery #4 in. Put B2 into drone, and have 20 mins of flight time. Now B3 will only have 40 mins of charging time on it at this point, so this is where the process bogs down a bit without additional chargers. Wait an additional 20 mins, then B3 should be ready to go.

Basically the way I think it works at that point is I will get 1 hour of flight time before I run into any pauses. Then I'll run into 20 mins of waiting for charges to complete for every 40 mins of flight.

I was trying to do the same math... It seems like one would need about 5-6 batteries to fly "continuously."

It finally makes sense why Ive seen those (expensive) multi-port chargers now as well!

My first bird was the FC40 which I still fly, I have 5 batteries which gives me a total of about 40 minutes without recharging any battery and it is still not enough.

I also have the Vision Plus with 1 extra battery and have found that it is no where near enough flight time. I have two clone batteries which are at the post office to be picked up so if they work without issue I will have at least doubled my flight time to over an hour which should be sufficient.

I will be testing the clone batteries in the FC40 which is now in a phantom 2 body with gimbal and gopro modified to take the two types of batteries.

So, no, it is not overkill to have three batteries in my opinion.

You never have enough batteries !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 515
The problem is keeping on top of maintenance, not so much the periodic run down to below 8% but keeping them at around 50% if not used for a few days.
I think three is a reasonable number if you can charge them in your vehicle - and you can manage with two.
One is no good, it doesn't feel worthwhile going out other than near home, when you might only get about ten minutes before it seems too low to fly out far.

I fly with my two sons and before we know everything is empty again. :lol:
(quite busy in the air at that time) :mrgreen:

Lowepg said:
I was trying to do the same math... It seems like one would need about 5-6 batteries to fly "continuously."

It finally makes sense why Ive seen those (expensive) multi-port chargers now as well!

I think the chokepoint would be chargers. If you had 4 batteries and 4 chargers, then you'd probably be able to stay in the air indefinitely.

And those "expensive" multi port chargers aren't worth the money. You can get the same thing on eBay for 7 bucks... And the 7 dollar one isn't worth it either. 3 batteries on those chargers = 3x the charging time... Because it doesn't triple the output of the charger. It just distributes the output among the 3 batteries.

ircphoenix said:
Lowepg said:

I think the chokepoint would be chargers. If you had 4 batteries and 4 chargers, then you'd probably be able to stay in the air indefinitely.

And those "expensive" multi port chargers aren't worth the money. You can get the same thing on eBay for 7 bucks... And the 7 dollar one isn't worth it either. 3 batteries on those chargers = 3x the charging time... Because it doesn't triple the output of the charger. It just distributes the output among the 3 batteries.

Mine appears to charge one then moves on to the next battery

ircphoenix said:
Lowepg said:

Well, if I understand correctly, you COULD potentially charge more than 1 battery at a time, but you'd have to be supplying those mult-ports with MORE current than the standard charger.

Alas, my multi-charger solution will be the very unsexy:

607734.jpg

M.Tigelaar said:
You never have enough batteries !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFL!!! So true.

I have four batteries (all genuine DJI ones).

I'll point out that I do use one of those battery strips to allow simultaneous charging of three batteries. One big advantage of using that device is that you can plug a suitable power supply or battery charger into the DC jack (so you are not dependent on the DJI charger).

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Vision-Ex ... B00JL9GBCW

I use a Thunder Power TP610C AC/DC and configure it for 12V Lead-acid charge mode, this supplies 13V to the power board at 5-7Amps and distributes power to three batteries. I use the charger to charge my normal RC model batteries too of course.

Guess I'll be the odd ball one here. I have 3 batts, 2 came with the P2V+ and an extra one bought later, after DJI dropped their price :) . I find that while I really love my P2V+, it is still very much mentally engaging to fly, and after two full flights I'm ready to stop and fully enjoy the complete experience. One time I did use all three batts as I was having a harder time getting the shot I was looking for, but typically 2 batts per flying session is plenty. I have flown early in the morning and again later in the evening on the same day with no rush charging in between - but that's rare. So for me, 3 batts is just about right. Of course, you mileage will vary.

TeeJayN said:
Guess I'll be the odd ball one here. I have 3 batts, 2 came with the P2V+ and an extra one bought later, after DJI dropped their price :) . .

Lowered their price?

*gulp*

You mean to tell me the price used to be HIGHER than it is today ($129)?

I look every day for second hand DJI stuff on the Internet,
bought some batteries and a case and spare parts :cool:
The forum and the adjustments I really like to be doing when I do not fly.
It's so much fun te fly together with your sons and see the smile on there face :mrgreen:

Everyone knows there is really no right answer as it depends on you and how you operate your Phantom.
I have three batteries.
I was involved in the beta testing, making multiple runs to record flight dynamics.
I fly at soccer fields and from my tree lined backyard, neighborhood parks etc.
70% the time there are two of us flying it.
I keep a spreadsheet on my flights and which batteries were used, so I have...
54% of the days I used 1 battery
33% of the days I used 2 batteries
12% of the days I used 3 batteries

The single battery days are usually done close to home or at home, or demos for friends and family.
On days I was set on doing specific tests it was usually two or three batteries.
However if I was traveling some distance to get specific videos I would probably use all three and wish I had more.
It just depends.....

John Shaw said:
Everyone knows there is really no right answer as it depends on you and how you operate your Phantom.
I have three batteries.
I was involved in the beta testing, making multiple runs to record flight dynamics.
I fly at soccer fields and from my tree lined backyard, neighborhood parks etc.
70% the time there are two of us flying it.
I keep a spreadsheet on my flights and which batteries were used, so I have...
54% of the days I used 1 battery
33% of the days I used 2 batteries
12% of the days I used 3 batteries

The single battery days are usually done close to home or at home, or demos for friends and family.
On days I was set on doing specific tests it was usually two or three batteries.
However if I was traveling some distance to get specific videos I would probably use all three and wish I had more.
It just depends.....

If you are not bound by a non disclosure agreement, what was the overall average flight time utilizing a fully charged battery..???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers