How long should you keep a lost drone?

Reaction score
Just wondering.... I seen so many "I found a lost drone post" I was wondering

"How long before you should try and trace the owner before you keep it" ?

A month?

I haven't found one myself but was just curious. Personally I would give it a month and give it to the police after....

Anyone else have any idea?

Reactions: dgd3
id try trace them using the logs myself first, then hand it to the police

I'd have a look at the video/pictures on the SD card (if any) and start there. If that doesn't work, take it to the cop shop and probably put a couple of posters up in the local shops.

This day and age, it should be registered. IF NOT, It's an illegal drone. Ask the local hobby store guys... maybe they have heard someone asking. I've lost a couple over the years... got luck and found them. BEFORE GPS

If you find one, and want to find the owner, put a few signs up on nearby street poles saying DJI DRONE FOUND. A Craigslist ad might help too. It's easy to confirm the owner if they bring their RC. The craft will be linked to the RC. Just have the owner start the motors to prove it's theirs (assuming it's not in pieces).

Reactions: BigAl07
The quad is not illegal, flying it without user FAA registration is, assuming it is not being flown under 107.

Reactions: jakobe75
What, like this one?
IMG_2210.JPG

Last edited:
Hi just a dumb question mine r all registed does that make me ileagal flyer,,,,,and if i found a drone ,,if was werth some money i would return to post in news or tell cops and they show me prove they own and lost ,,,i give back,,,otherwise parts:confused:
This one was still powered so we put a note with a mobile number in front of the camera, doubt there was a connection to a controller though. Have made it known to people around we found it. Will drop it at the local cop shop by end of week, time permitting.

This one was still powered so we put a note with a mobile number in front of the camera, doubt there was a connection to a controller though. Have made it known to people around we found it. Will drop it at the local cop shop by end of week, time permitting.
I like the note on the cam idea,,,:) i would b on my knees if i lost one of mine,,expensive over here

I would make a reasonable attempt to find the owner and if no luck after 2 weeks or so I would keep it.

Dropping it off at a police station is a waste of time (in my opinion) for me and the police. It ends up at a police auction after they have stored it for a year (waste of taxpayer dollars).

If you haven't marked it with some sort of contact information I assume you consider it a throwaway toy.

Sounds harsh but being honest.

I lost a beebop2 cost 500 bucks, no one turned it in no signs nothing, I know where it went down and I pretty much know who has it. I drive by with my controller on and when it hits I will take control and head it back home, if he fights me on control, I won't say what I will do. But it's gonna hurt...

Reactions: DougAles
I lost a beebop2 cost 500 bucks, no one turned it in no signs nothing, I know where it went down and I pretty much know who has it. I drive by with my controller on and when it hits I will take control and head it back home, if he fights me on control, I won't say what I will do. But it's gonna hurt...

For him to fly it, wouldn't he have to pair it with another controller and then it would not respond to your original one

As stated in another forum - If it's a DJI drone you can contact DJI with the serial # and they can get a hold of the original owner. If it's been sold and not re-registered with DJI then the current owner will have to rely on the original purchaser forwarding the info about the found drone.

Reactions: AyeYo
That's a SYMA drone I believe. Not as expensive / advanced as dji drones. I learned a lot flying one!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic