How long full charge Storage for P2 Battery

Reaction score
To keep the life of the Stock P2 Smart batteries: how long is it OK to keep at full charge?

I know Lithium batteries shouldn't be stored at full charge for LONG periods of time, what's safe for these exact batteries I'll be curious to know myself. While you wait, make sure you've watched the video from this thread, it's a great overview about batteries and charging in general.
I'm considering getting some sort of advanced charger to better maintain my batteries, after watching the aforementioned video I definitely understand they should be stored at "storage charge" level for longer periods.

Short Answer: Fully charged batteries should be stored for the least amount of time possible. There's a cumulative effect so the more time you leave it fully charged the sooner you'll have a bad battery. For $160ea I want them to last as long as possible.

Long Answer: I think ignorance is bliss when it comes to Lipo batteries. I would like nothing better than to keep my batteries fully charged at all times so on a whim I can go flying without planning out my day and how many batteries I should "top up". Unfortunately this is both detrimental and dangerous and so I always leave them at 50-60% (2.5 LEDs) regardless of what day I plan to use them next. I've recently bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/251502574699 to assist getting more batteries fully charged quicker, but it's still always in the back of my mind to make sure all batteries are at a storage level when I'm done; just in case the next week or two is crappy. I need a hobby where I don't have to be responsible... :roll:

I'll probably fly each weekend. When I return home, I'll charge my three batteries to full capacity and put them in my GoPro case along with the Phantom 2z. I'll let you know when my case blows up or my batteries go permanently dead. Your' talking about a lot of hassle to worry about storing them at some specific level. DJI should write something up that covers batteries if they need special care an handling.

Bluegrass said:
I'll probably fly each weekend. When I return home, I'll charge my three batteries to full capacity and put them in my GoPro case along with the Phantom 2z. I'll let you know when my case blows up or my batteries go permanently dead. Your' talking about a lot of hassle to worry about storing them at some specific level. DJI should write something up that covers batteries if they need special care an handling.

Look it up. There is a difference. Back in the day NiCads required that you discharge them completely because they had a charge memory and degraded.

The opposite is of Lithium and there is a difference between Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer. Polymer version, which is what we use is more volatile. Lithium batteries Do not have the same memory issue that NiCads have but they do have a limited amount of Cycles (full discharge and recharge) which is why they don't reccomend full discharge except once a month depending on usage. There are other reasons why certain things are done to maintain lifespan of the battery. but at $150 a pop I do want to maximize my batteries life.

I'm sure someone else can chime in and give us the truly scientific reason but I'm sure you get the gist. Also remember iPhone 3g? Remember there were those that caught on fire? well they had LiPo's. There is a reason why the post office won't Airmail Lithium batteries and why they are not allowed in baggage of a plane.

truth. I again recommend the video in the thread I linked previously which goes into good detail about proper Lithium battery maintenance. Daddyo is definitely right you don't want to store them with a full charge for a "long" time but exactly how long that time is on a P2 battery I can't say, hopefully someone will.

Bluegrass they're not going to explode or anything but if you're always storing them with full charge the quality will degrade faster so they'll hold less total charge quicker than someone who's properly maintaining them. Your choice but like Daddyo says at $150 a pop why not put in the minimal maintenance to maximize life span, but $150 means very different things to different people

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav