How long do the stock motors last?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any data on how long the stock motors on the Phantom 2 Vision+ Version 2 last? At some point I would expect the bearings to wear out, and would like to have a sense of what to expect so I can anticipate when maintenance might be required.

Thanks for the input. John

I asked the same question 6 months ago and never got a reply. Maybe because the Phantoms are too new yet, or no one has run them to failure. My answer to your question is: I don't know.

I've done nearly 500 flights with an average of around 12 minutes each (more or less) since mid April 2014 (when the P2V+ was released).. which i'd say is easily representing 100 hours of continuous flight. I don't see, feel, nor hear any signs of bearing wear. They still perform like they did new for me. I'm still on my original 1st set of props as well.

I would guess that so long as you don't crash, these bearings/motor assemblies will last the life of the phantom.

Similar here.

The bearings are really the only moving/wearing parts. Aside from an ESC issue somehow causing damage to the coils or foreign material entering and causing physical damage I would expect hundreds to thousands of hours save the bearings.

N017RW said:
Similar here.

The bearings are really the only moving/wearing parts. Aside from an ESC issue somehow causing damage to the coils or foreign material entering and causing physical damage I would expect hundreds to thousands of hours save the bearings.

Well this is the OPs exact question. And everyone elses. How long do the bearings last? And if the answer is "no one knows", then so be it. Should we replace them as a maintenance item? Is this a common practice in the R/C world? I would hate to have them fail on me and have the thing come down in a flaming ball, when I could have done a change out before the occurrence. I know nothing about these motors bearing wise, so if anyone has any real information on this, please share.

I also am wondering about the life of the bearings

I have one motor in my p2v(non plus) making a rattle but I am not sure if it's the bearings or not

Speaking from experience bearings usually fail when the grease in them gets dry and gets hard

OR if it experiences a hard impact I had one fail on a rc truck(it was a 5th scale) after I rolled it one day

I thought it was fine till about the third run(the bearing was grinding loudly and the wheel had play in it) by the time I knew it was truly bad the right rear wheel would have major slop
So when I tore it down both inner and outer races was so worn they was just thin bands(the balls of the bearing was gone)

The wheel was stiff during the second time out with it

That was only four months of hard bashing with it
You will know when they fail trust me

As far as who makes the bearings for dji's motors I have no clue but for my land rc I use bocca brand bearings

Not sure...
maybe get a laser guide rev meter. Measure each motor now and measure later I guess. Make sure you have a full batt and lock the phantom down.

Don't know but I have noticed a high pitch squeal from the motors.
Checked, no contact with the plastic.
Normal?

I would expect the motors and bearings to last a LONG time (like 1000 flights) - but that's not based on anything empirical. I had an ESC die in my P2V+ after only 125 flights though. Evidently that's not all that uncommon. I'm upgrading to the new motors/ESCs which I like much better (in my P2 V2).

Is it a squeel.. or like a whistling noise.. like air might be going through something.. causing the whistle ??
Also did you take motors off at any point ?? If your not careful putting them back on.. the 1mm clearance against the top shell can cause it.. same with putting top shell back on.. In saying that I've taken it off countless times as have 1000s of others and never been a problem, but could see how it could be.. due to 1mm clearance lol.

CannibalRobotics said:
Normal?

CannibalRobotics said:
Normal?

Shouldn't be

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers