How long can it keep all going?

Reaction score
Just a question that keeps me bothering. Or bothering is a big word maybe, lets just say I am wondering...

How long can it keep going? And by "it" I mean the Phantom (2) and all its parts/electronics.

For example: the brushless motors and the brushless ESC's. What typical life to expect? I know brushless motors can run for quite some time, but coming from the RC car and boating world, I can say that ESC's can be time bombs (although they are taxed a whole lot harder in trucks/boats).

You wouldn't dare to think about motor/ESC failure during a flight, so then the next interesting question becomes: at what moment would one be deciding to replace motor/ESC with a new one?

How about props? Do they have the eternal life even when there's never been a crash?

At what % of monitored overall battery life (as checked in PC Assistant) would you have to stop using an intelligent battery?
And say there's only the slightest sign of puffing, would you replace a pack immediately?

All in all what I mean with "how long can it keep going".
Motors and ESC's is what I wonder about most.

I read somewhere that the expected life of the motors is about 300 hours. I'd expect the ESC to last longer as there are no moving parts

They'll last longer than you'll [probably] fly your a/c.

I have 141+ hours (that's 850 10 minute flights) on a 450 CP heli outrunner and no longer fly it.

Bearings are another story, I wouldn't consider the motor 'broke' if they can be replaced.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers