How likely is it that a major airport will grant you permission for about 50 -100 feet nearby?

Reaction score
Just wondering. There's some cool stuff right by terminals but I just want go as high as the terminal building in LAX. I would never want to do it without permission though and I think they would probably say no right?

I would be willing to bet $$ that the FAA is never going to grant approval for flying around the terminals of any airport, way too many things to go wrong.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
People are all ready flying at airports. Commercial pilots that is.

You'll never get that permission as a hobbiest.... plus it's class B and I don't think any hobbiest are flying in class B, "legally" ATM.

You want to fly 100 feet outside the runways at LAX?

Can I give a negative percentage of this happening?

Second, I don't even think the DJI firmware will let you fly within a mile of the airport anyway (GEO or no GEO).

Reactions: BigAl07
Depending on your phantom model it probably won't even let you take off anyway.

What he said, if you have anything newer than a Phantom 3 on up it won't even start the motors.

If you had your 107 cert and did commercial work it IS possible (with a different non-geofenced 'copter) to do work at an airport, but it would have to be something highly special, very controlled and probably something needed by the airport themselves. (there are actually some authorized videos on YouTube at airports).

All this said, if I was driving by and saw someone about to fly a drone that close to an airport I'd stop and make sure they made the correct decision not to fly without authorization.

Just wondering. There's some cool stuff right by terminals but I just want go as high as the terminal building in LAX. I would never want to do it without permission though and I think they would probably say no right?

I was out at DIA (Denver International Airport) about 4 miles away taking pics with a regular camera about 7 years ago and they had someone at my car in 4 minutes telling me I couldnt take any pictures. So you can ask them, but I dont think they will bite! Good luck!

First, the airport will neither grant nor deny permission. It's up to the FAA. Second, the FAA won't grant you permission to fly 100 ft from the LAX terminal. No way, no time, no how.

§ 91.131 Operations in Class B airspace.
(a)Operating rules. No person may operate an aircraft within a Class B airspace area except in compliance with § 91.129 and the following rules:

(1) The operator must receive an ATC clearance from the ATC facility having jurisdiction for that area before operating an aircraft in that area.

§ 91.131 Operations in Class B airspace.
(a)Operating rules. No person may operate an aircraft within a Class B airspace area except in compliance with § 91.129 and the following rules:

(1) The operator must receive an ATC clearance from the ATC facility having jurisdiction for that area before operating an aircraft in that area.
Wow... Now we talking about another government department in this soup... Good luck getting clearance ;)

Wow... Now we talking about another government department in this soup... Good luck getting clearance ;)

Another? ATC is the body who has always given airspace authorizations.

As long as you are a hobbyist you can. I fly every Sat 3 miles from class B. I call them inform them I am going to fly at 50ft, they say enjoy. I call them back when finished and they say thanks. Now if I had my 107 I would have to go through the ftc to get approval. Strange but that's the way it is.

What he said, if you have anything newer than a Phantom 3 on up it won't even start the motors.

If you had your 107 cert and did commercial work it IS possible (with a different non-geofenced 'copter) to do work at an airport, but it would have to be something highly special, very controlled and probably something needed by the airport themselves. (there are actually some authorized videos on YouTube at airports).

All this said, if I was driving by and saw someone about to fly a drone that close to an airport I'd stop and make sure they made the correct decision not to fly without authorization.

I believe that if you email [email protected] and ask for an unlock of an airport NFZ, they can send you a special custom version of the GO app that will allow you to fly there. You're probably going to need to add some kind of verification from the airport confirming you aren't just some yahoo though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj