How is the Radar in the lower left corner of Go App used?

TCW

Reaction score
At the risk of being chastised, I have to go to the masses. Yes, I've searched, watched tutorials, searched more, watch the official DJI Go App Tutorial on their website. I find nothing that gives detailed info. In the Go App iOS Version v2.1.0. how is this little radar best utilized? I can rotate the RC and see the "broadcast" move the same as I, but what is this telling me? Thanks for not being too harsh on me lol

I use it to check which direction my Phantom is facing. When it's high in the sky or far away, it's sometimes hard to tell which direction it's pointing.

What @msinger said. Before there was the "wand" (the straight line that's always present on the radar between the home point and the bird), the paper airplane icon on the radar was the only way to know which direction the bird was facing/flying when not in LOS. Now that the "wand" is present, it's basically just useful for knowing which direction the camera is facing.

Reactions: snowghost
Ok, so if I'm facing the N. with RC in hand, the top of the radar circle indicates N? And if the bird is flying towards the E, then the red arrow should have an E heading? And just to be clear, I'm referring to the smaller circle in the lower left of the screen in the DJI Go app. I was just wanting to make sure about this because when you switch from FPV (or Follow) to Map mode on your screen, your basically getting the same reference info seems?

The centre of the ring is the home position (or take off point if not changed midflight). The arrow is the Phantom. The pointy end on the arrow reflects the nose of the phantom.
The arrow will always reflect the home point. IE, if you turn your body 90 degrees, the arrow will reflect your direction change.
I prefer this over the map system as I gotten used it from the Vision system. Its simple.. just point the arrow back to the centre and push forward and it will come back to the home position.
It seems primitive over the map system but its simplistic and more easy to fly.

Reactions: StumbleBee
The centre of the ring is the home position (or take off point if not changed midflight). The arrow is the Phantom. The pointy end on the arrow reflects the nose of the phantom.
The arrow will always reflect the home point. IE, if you turn your body 90 degrees, the arrow will reflect your direction change.
I prefer this over the map system as I gotten used it from the Vision system. Its simple.. just point the arrow back to the centre and push forward and it will come back to the home position.
It seems primitive over the map system but its simplistic and more easy to fly.
I agree about it being a simple yet elegant homing device. Like the OP I also found nothing about how to use it in any of DJI's literature. Once I figured it out I found it an invaluable help. In one easy to understand glance you know your bird's heading, and which way to turn it to come home.

Nice, now I can pay it more attention, use it as needed. As a new pilot, all I know is the newest DJI Go app, only having a few flights under the belt so wasn't sure how this circle played into to it all. After more time and experience I'm sure I would've put it together, but in the beginning 1st flights, soooo much is going on in your head that I vaguely noticed it being there, paying a lot more attention to the visual map. So this is a nice "quick glimpse" reference tool! Thanks fellows..

Nice, now I can pay it more attention, use it as needed. As a new pilot, all I know is the newest DJI Go app, only having a few flights under the belt so wasn't sure how this circle played into to it all. After more time and experience I'm sure I would've put it together, but in the beginning 1st flights, soooo much is going on in your head that I vaguely noticed it being there, paying a lot more attention to the visual map. So this is a nice "quick glimpse" reference tool! Thanks fellows..
Been there. Done that. It's a lot more fun and relaxing once you know how everything works and get proficient at doing it.

It also shows how level the craft is. You can see on a windy day the pitch of the craft. Also when you are moving it shows which way it is pitching.

Hi TCW.. That radar function saved my butt yesterday. My P3P was well out over water. I "briefly" became disorientated and was heading out to sea. A quick glance at the radar saved me a LOT of potential aggravation You'll love it!! --- (You know... It's really a shame that TCW, myself and others have to ask for folks not to be "too harsh" in their answers. Sad reality is that there are a few whose "harsh" attitude is keeping a lot of folks from posting some very important questions...)

Last edited:
Hi TCW.. That radar function saved my butt yesterday. My P3P was well out over water. I "briefly" became disorientated and was heading out to sea. A quick glance at the radar saved me a LOT of potential aggravation You'll love it!! --- (You know... It's really a shame that TCW, myself and others have to ask for folks not to be "too harsh" in their answers. Sad reality is that there are a few whose "harsh" attitude is keeping a lot of folks from posting some very important questions...)

Sprague,
I also give it a quick glimpse now knowing what it represents, gonna be very useful tool. Also for those who seem to reply with a bit of attitude in their responses need to have a little more patience. I ALWAYS try to search first, often yielding only fragments of info that I'm seeking. This quad copter hobby has exploded to near a phenom state, bringing in new "followers" daily, hungry to learn. It's just gonna happen on the boards that questions ar going to be asked and reasked over and over. BTW, this search engine is much better than the forum search, give it a shot next time:

Google Custom Search

Reactions: PunaPhantom
Thanks TCW! I agree 100%, A little patience and the fact that everybody is a beginner at one point. Some of the responses are just totally uncalled for and at times make me hate to ask a question here.

Thanks TCW! I agree 100%, A little patience and the fact that everybody is a beginner at one point. Some of the responses are just totally uncalled for and at times make me hate to ask a question here.

I agree. I have a lot of interests and belong to many different forums. Most offer a lot of polite support and help especially to noobs. If things get out of hand the moderators will step in. I find this forum to be more surly and condescending at times than any other I have been a member of.

I have not asked for any help yet because of this and particularly because I am a new Phantom 3 STANDARD owner which seems to garner a lot of hate around here. If you are not a Pro or Advanced owner you just have no right even hanging out in this forum.

There, I said it.

Last edited:
Hi aopisa. Welcome!! All it takes is for a few, and sometimes it's more than just a few, jackasses to give a forum a bad name. I belong to some forums for some other interests and I agree, this forum truly stands out. I was talking to a friend of mine in California yesterday about his experience with DJI PP and unfortunately his response was, "What a bunch of assh*les". Hang in and please ask questions for that's the way we all learn. There are some terrific people here and maybe someday those who are less than considerate will find another hobby.

Reactions: lotusteve
Thanks Sprague. You are right. I am certainly not assuming that everyone here is an *** and I know you were not implying that was my thought.

As someone new to aerial photography (but not photography in general) I have been doing a lot of research and reading. So, I read my fair share on this forum and found that there was a decidedly negative tone here for whatever reason.

I won't give up and will hang in there. I don't know who if anyone moderates this site, but it would be nice if someone cleaned it up a little. As I said, other forums I belong to have little tolerance for personal attacks and trolls. The result is a much more positive experience. I hope this can become a place where anyone can feel like they can get help without the fear of being attacked.

I will stick around.

Reactions: Sprague
What's cool is hit RTH and rotate the craft while watching the Phantom head straight home with the nose pointed any which way you want to video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl