How is RC range after the latest fw update ?

I like to park with the truck facing my primary direction of flight. I rotate the steering wheel so it is upside down, the RC handle hooks the remote on the wheel perfectly, sit the bird outside the truck, & away I go. I even get decent range to the sides & rear!
I'm in a muscle car, it has a big windshield but it's a challenger RT, so, let's just say, it's doesn't give me a very good high sight, I can't even pull all the way up to red lights if I'm first guy, roofline is too low, otherwise the jeep has a more up and down from windshield....

I flew my P4 yesterday farther than I have ever had the nerve to send my bird (again im not a range seeker) sent it over 2 miles across the valley and had to bring it back because I was getting too close to Burbank from Mulholland on Luarel if anyone knows LA, know how far that seems. .
If you cannot get farther over water something is wrong, have you tried setting a channel manually? When you manually select the best channel, also select the bitrate and set it to 4mbps instead of 10. Have you watched the DJI antenna best practices video?
Agreed. The fact is there are good ones and bad ones because I've had a couple. The good ones are incredible but there is definitely too many bad ones. Right now I'm loving them again so I feel wrong not being as pissed as I should be. It's BS but I don't think they don't care like some around here do. Of course they do. This is a company that innovated us to where we are right now and they are a victim of their own innovation in my opinion. Is the aerial photography world where it is right now without DJI? Absolutely not and for that reason, I am giving them a pass on the P4. I am enjoying it right now thoroughly though but even if this gets all corrected and everything is fine by next month or something, this will go down as the worst roll out of a product in my life and I but A LOT of electronics and gadgets and am always an early adoboter. This is the bane of my life. I'm lucky I can eat. But if the P5 is like this, I'm going to do one of two things, find another company that can fill the fun void because to me, the Phantoms are fun, or I'll just start paying attention to other hobbies.

I flew my P4 yesterday farther than I have ever had the nerve to send my bird (again im not a range seeker) sent it over 2 miles across the valley and had to bring it back because I was getting too close to Burbank from Mulholland on Luarel if anyone knows LA, know how far that seems. .

Agreed. The fact is there are good ones and bad ones because I've had a couple. The good ones are incredible but there is definitely too many bad ones. Right now I'm loving them again so I feel wrong not being as pissed as I should be. It's BS but I don't think they don't care like some around here do. Of course they do. This is a company that innovated us to where we are right now and they are a victim of their own innovation in my opinion. Is the aerial photography world where it is right now without DJI? Absolutely not and for that reason, I am giving them a pass on the P4. I am enjoying it right now thoroughly though but even if this gets all corrected and everything is fine by next month or something, this will go down as the worst roll out of a product in my life and I but A LOT of electronics and gadgets and am always an early adoboter. This is the bane of my life. I'm lucky I can eat. But if the P5 is like this, I'm going to do one of two things, find another company that can fill the fun void because to me, the Phantoms are fun, or I'll just start paying attention to other hobbies.
2 miles is pretty impressive man, I've only gone a little over one, coulda went further, maybe twice but Ingot scared lol.
I have the bigger antenna coming, and the twin boosters kit from MaxxUAV, so hopefully 2 miles will be easy, from my backyard is what I want, Indont need distance on a vaca shoot, I need it for fun runs sitting in the shade on my rocker! Lol
Agreed DJI needs improving but I like you will overlook the tilted horizon, today it seemed really good, so don't know if it's how I'm calibrating or whatever but it comes and goes, but due to the normal DBS mod antenna I've been able to enjoy my P4 so far, even with the horizon issues, on 100% of all phantoms I've owned

2 miles is pretty impressive man, I've only gone a little over one, coulda went further, maybe twice but Ingot scared lol.
I have the bigger antenna coming, and the twin boosters kit from MaxxUAV, so hopefully 2 miles will be easy, from my backyard is what I want, Indont need distance on a vaca shoot, I need it for fun runs sitting in the shade on my rocker! Lol
Agreed DJI needs improving but I like you will overlook the tilted horizon, today it seemed really good, so don't know if it's how I'm calibrating or whatever but it comes and goes, but due to the normal DBS mod antenna I've been able to enjoy my P4 so far, even with the horizon issues, on 100% of all phantoms I've owned
Yeah, I should have said it was completely stock, I got that and I was happy about it because I felt like I was getting less range around neighborhoods than I used to on my P3P and I still am not sure if I actually was or I just was paying attention to range now because of reading the sights but on The Valley, I know how far I fly it and I NEVER have even got near half that with my P3P or P3A for that matter. So I don't know if that means the P4 is more adept to being interfered with by radio and things or if it's me just reading the forums and paying more attention to it or if the P4 is just better when it works. I sort of forgot what I was saying. :) Time for bed. :p

Reactions: Ibmftw
Don't let glass fool you, just because we can see through it 2.4ghz doesn't care how transparent things are, your standard thin glass window WILL cause 2.4ghz attenuation and it gets worse from there on, lead doped, metallic security, IR reflective etc, windows and glass generally fool people when it comes to wifi networking.

Reactions: Jussaguy
[emoji106] my bird is doing fine with the new update no glitches

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nice.. I like flying over Mulholland near Beverly Glen..

Reactions: Jussaguy
I NEVER have even got near half that with my P3P or P3A for that matter. So I don't know if that means the P4 is more adept to being interfered with by radio and things or if it's me just reading the forums and paying more attention to it or if the P4 is just better when it works. I sort of forgot what I was saying. :) Time for bed. :p
Hillarious as I was reading that I thought you sounded Hella high or something, then you wrote that last bit.

Reactions: Jussaguy and Myetkt
Hillarious as I was reading that I thought you sounded Hella high or something, then you wrote that last bit.
Ha! Yeah, can't tell a lie. At the end of the day, for my back pain, and my sanity, I like to ingest legal THC, CBDs especially for anxiety and a little THC for sleep. I am actually fairly healthy though and don't spark up anymore. I don't mess with flower anymore, all edibles.

FTR, completely legal. Like talking about tylenol here. :)

Holy crap! I was just watching this video again because somehow I didn't notice that it had a 4K version so I watched it and this time, as opposed to last, I watched every second and I missed something the first time around.

You want to see a guy that knows how to take his racer and fly it with skill and no fear? This, by the way, is at Big Sir which is IMO the most beautiful spot by a long shot, second to The Redwoods just a hundred or so miles north of here. This shot is on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway, or The 1) and it is absolutely the most beautiful drive you can take. When we go to San Francisco to visit my business partner, my wife and family take a 8-9 hour PCH ride as opposed to maybe a 4-6 hour regular ride on The 5 and 101 so that you can watch with your mouth dropped for the whole ride. Lived out here for over a decade now and I still just am amazed every time I fly by it.

Last word off topic, but there is a place where this is a fresh water giant lake and about a quarter mile down is The Pacific and there is a little whole in the "wall" of the cliff that shoots out the coolest looking stream of fresh water into the ocean. It's hard to describe but this is the kind of stuff you see and the Big Sir bridge is one of the highlights, if not THE highlight in a series of them along that run, including many whales, dolphins, Sea Lions, Turtles, etc. If you are on the West Coast, do it. Hell, do it if you're on the East Coast. What's an extra couple hours on a plane instead of sitting on your couch watching Seinfeld re-runs and eating Doritos.

Ok, back on topic.

That video had the Big Sir bridge in it (which I knew) but the dude flew his (I'm assuming a 250). and not flew but traversed the ins and outs of this bridge eloquently and without fear. This is how I wish I could fly. This guy is so much better at flying that I am that it's humbling to the point that I think I should just keep my camera on the ground and just fly. ha. I mean I can fly but not like this. Not without fear that i would destroy the whatever. To be sure, there is no fixing whatever he/she is flying in this part. If it hits and through this bridge, it will fall at least several hundred feet and then be thrown out into the ocean. Basically, if he isn't perfect here, that thing is gone.

It's frustrating a tad watching this video because there are a couple things he/she could have done to make it from a cool thing to watch to epic. He should have softened some of the animation inside the cockpit. A little more blur would have made it more realistic. It's a common thing amongst even fairly advanced animators to not want to "grit up" their animation. In other words, they love it super crisp. They get married to it in post and then they can't change it. This is the biggest thing to overcome I think in the process of making VFX which if this guy is under 25, he will be very good at.

Sorry for rambling as usual but I think I made it so it started at exactly 1:00 which is where he begins to fly through the Big Sir bridge. **** it, now I've hyped it up too much. It really actually sucks. Don't even watch it (make sure you put it on 4K if you can):

EDIT: As I just watched that part again, I'm not even so sure that's not a practical (real) thing, like a toy or something and he just dropped a green/blue screen behind it which would have been a weird way to do it simply because it gives you less latitude to make it look real. By the way, I am not critiquing it as a negative, I think he/she did an amazing job and I love this, I am just talking to you guys. I still think more could have been done to combine the cockpit with aerial stuff to make it look less juxtaposed but man can this guy fly and make a cool video. BRAVO!

Reactions: slowjohnny

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik