Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How is everyone mounting their vtx on their Phantoms?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bunger, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Bunger

I have a boscam ts351 on the way that I am going to mount on my Phantom v1.1.1, but am not yet sure how I am going to mount it.

How is everyone mounting their vtx units?

2. OI Photography

I've been using this, and I love it: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1297&p=8945#p8945

Note: the Tx tray on that has a lot of room inside, and can easily be modified to fit other Tx than the fatshark shown there

3. Bunger

Cool solution, but I'm running a gimbal and it doesn't look like that shapeways solution will support that..

4. OI Photography

Depends on what gimbal. He's got a version already available that will work with the Zenmuse, and I'm in the process of modifying the one above to work with the Arris CM2000. I think it can easily be adapted to fit most any gimbal that uses the stock camera screw mounts on the bottom of the Phantom.

5. vrso2

6. Bunger

I was thinking about getting the tray above that mounts to the landing gear, but just bought a duratools case and not sure how that work...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Dtacmed

I mounted mine with velcro right behind the Gimbal.

8. Bunger

What gimbal are you using? I've got a feiyu tech g3 and there really isn't any room.

9. Dtacmed

10. Ton4

I have that one too. I like the tail the Phantom gets, and I now put a second battery below this with velcro ties. Fits perfectly and not unimportant, it balances the phantom with a gimbal and gopro. No more nose dipping at take off.

Its not only a tx holder, it holds a second battery as well.

11. FlyingFanta

12. Bunger

13. FlyingFanta

I am, yes.

14. Bunger

No issues with the heat from the heat sink?

15. ladykate

I'm using Velcro - I keep everything on the outside. The P2 has a nice black tail now.

I think I would like to extend the landing gear slightly. Not totally the subject of this thread but the GoPro hangs down juat a bit too far. Might give it four footsie extensions. Would let me drop the antenna down to a vertical - might help.

16. FlyingFanta

None that I can tell. I have the FatShark 250mW so maybe it's not as hot?

17. Bunger

I saw a post a while back where someone just picked up clear plastic spacers from the hardware store and put them between the body and the legs - very nice and clean solutions.,,

18. ladykate

Got a link by any chance? I would be worried about strain - was thinking more of putting the weak point at the bottom.

19. ElGuano

I had mine on on the side against the battery compartment, facing backwards like most people's. Today, I decided to give a slightly different mounting option a shake. A user on rcgroups who had posted some impressive distance FPV videos posted his setup, and he said that mounting his vTX against one of the rear arms (with antenna facing away from the body of the Phantom) increased his range by "a lot."

It was a small change for me, so I just used some high-strength bond tape and shifted my vTX over against the landing gear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already get signal to the limit of my TX at ~1.2km, so I'm not looking to go any farther, but hopefully this does something to alleviate the "dead spot" when heading back in, when the gimbal and occlude the antenna.

Main questions at this point: how much difference does having the antenna farther away by 2" actually make? And will the vTX mounted away from the body create a larger profile for wind (does wind even get through the prop wash)?