How is altitude treated during follow me mode?

How is altitude treated during follow me mode?

In other words if you tell the bird to follow me while you're at the base of a mountain, then start up the mountain, is it going to run into the side of the mountain? Or is it smart enough to keep the same altitude above the mobile device?

Can't find any good instructions or manual on this...and it's super flat where I am or I'd test it.

Thanks!

Using the Follow Me mode on with the DJI Go App, it will crash into the mountain. See AutoFlight Logic Autopilot app and their discussion about using a barometric altimeter and relative altitude.

Flight School - Autoflight Logic

Tom

Last edited:
The lowest I have flow is 11 meters:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have upgraded to an iPad Air 2 so now I have a barometer too. Watch this space....

I have finally had a chance to test out Autopilot's 'Follow' mode with the Air2 and its barometer, and I am very pleased. The altitude adjustment, both downhill and back up, was rock solid. The turns were steady and not swung out as in my earlier video.

Here is a sample:

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but why does the video sway left to right like that? I haven't done much of FM, is there a way for it to follow smoothly?
This behavior is governed by the Movement Responsiveness setting. Basically, if you want it to stay exactly on course, use a lower value and it will result in more abrupt course corrections. If you don't like the abrupt course corrections, and are okay with some swaying, then use a larger setting.

Here is a recent flight using Autopilot's 'Follow' mode. The drop in altitude from the tar road down to the river is around 100 meters. I selected altitude by GPS, and you can see in the video that the quad followed my altitude quite accurately.

I'm inclined to think that GPS would be more accurate for elevation change because the Barometer readings are going to change rapidly with a weather front moving in or out.

I'm inclined to think that GPS would be more accurate for elevation change because the Barometer readings are going to change rapidly with a weather front moving in or out.
Surely that won't be an issue for the 15 minutes of the typical flight? And there is zero lag between readings. No contest, I believe..

Surely that won't be an issue for the 15 minutes of the typical flight? And there is zero lag between readings. No contest, I believe..
That's true, unless a tornado was coming in .... LOL

Glad to hear Autopilot works like Litchi in terms of elevation. When will DJI get their act together and make a useful follow mode? Also Litchi supports full speed and DJI is limited to 22mph/35 kph. Litchi even allows linking a separate device with GPS and following that.

That's true, unless a tornado was coming in .... LOL
I suspect that any pilot worth his salt might just see the tornado coming and choose not take off.....

The ones who do take off will no doubt try a claim against the warranty......

:rolleyes:

Errol, I just purchased the Litchi App and found out it does not support Apple devices IOS for the Follow mode, just the Orbit and Waypoint modes. Darn it. I guess I just assumed it worked on iPad Air. I guess I'll try the Autopilot App.

Errol, I just purchased the Litchi App and found out it does not support Apple devices IOS for the Follow mode, just the Orbit and Waypoint modes. .
Correct. In fact Orbit was added only recently. I do believe they are working on adding more functionality.

So how trustworthy is the GPS if you do not have a device with a barometer is it considered unwise to try this or perhaps allow a certain amount of leverage vertically?

So how trustworthy is the GPS if you do not have a device with a barometer is it considered unwise to try this or perhaps allow a certain amount of leverage vertically?
Look at the first video I posted in this thread. That was done with GPS only (down the same hill), and it was fine. In my opinion not nearly as solid as with the barometer, and the quad 'swung' a bit but that may have been to due to other factors.

(Edited to add link to that video)

Correct. In fact Orbit was added only recently. I do believe they are working on adding more functionality.
Have you heard anything on whether or not DJI has plans to upgrade the Go App to utilize the barometer in Follow Mode? I would think DJI would want to keep up with 3rd party apps. I like the app except for that one short coming. I need to follow the elevation in the follow mode here in Montana with 6000' elevation change in 4 miles. Other wise that mode is useless.

Have you heard anything on whether or not DJI has plans to upgrade the Go App to utilize the barometer in Follow Mode? I would think DJI would want to keep up with 3rd party apps. I like the app except for that one short coming. I need to follow the elevation in the follow mode here in Montana with 6000' elevation change in 4 miles. Other wise that mode is useless.
I down here in SA - not likely to 'hear' anything, hence my reliance on this and DJI's web site.

As a matter of interest, what would you use 'Follow' mode for. I personally don't think it is very practical other than for some 'gimmicky' shots.

We would use it to follow a group of riders to a mountain lake or other destination for video to use in a family movie.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers