How in the world do I stop the pixilation!!!!!

Reaction score
Phantom 3 advanced. I have tried everything from doing the "ae lock" to using d-log for less color for it to focus with, I have tried numerous camera settings.. And no matter what I do I can't get these pixels to go away and it just looks horrible. It mostly happends when going from a light to dark area and the camera then will refocus and it just looks like total ****. Only thing I havnt done is tried to upload/play the video straight from the sd card.. I have tried putting the card into my computer but the files arnt usable or don't work when I click on them.. But I havnt tried to plug the gimble directly into my computer yet but either way I feel like the quality of then videos should look that bad. Using the ae lock to lock the shutter speed seems to help a lot but it doesn't fix the issue same with d-log, it helps but doesn't fix it.

My question is , what am I doing wrong? And is there any way to fix or correct this issue? I know photo. 3 pro is much much better and had I known that I woulda bought that instead. But I got this phantom 3 advanced for 450$ brand new in the box so I really can't complain I would just like to try and fix this issue to the best of my abilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quality of the cached video off the RC unit is always less than the microSD card. You need to load the card into your computer and try that and use a good card reader and not the USB cable from the drone either which takes a long time and the USB polling of that port could cause drops. I'd also get a faster writing speed microSD card too, maybe a 95mb/s one like a SanDisk Extreme Pro, etc. The stock card that came with mine was very slow in writing when tested and it pixelated a lot with movies against the faster card. Dropped a few frames too.

All said, the P4 and less models do not have very good low light capabilities in my opinion. The P4 Pro might be a better choice there - once they get that models issues sorted out.

Reactions: Mako79
Can you upload a sample for us to see?

I'll try to upload to show you guys.. Granted it hasn't been very sunny where live in NY latly. But still I would think there is enough light.. Can you please post me some links to a good card reader and card? I have a 32gig scan disk card at home maybe I should give that a try.. I just don't get why when I put the card into my larger card adaptor then put that into my lap top and opened the folder why the videos wouldn't play that way? I mean it's more of a scanner vs a computer so maybe that's why.. It's a snap on diagnostics computer that I have cuz I'm a mechanic.. But it has Windows xp on it and is just like a mini laptop.. It has a slot for the regular sd card, so I used an sd to micro sd adaptor, slapped that into my scanner/computer, went to "my computer" and opend the folder. And it won't play the files.. They look like "paper files" not movie files" i have my settings to mov and I have it set for ntsc United States so idk

That SnapOn likely does not have video codecs loaded. Some of those come with editing programs or maybe Media Player Classic as a player. You need to fin a more capable computer, and a fast one too if you want to edit videos. Video work is very processor intensive, and with huge files it's worse.

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
If you happen to have a TV with a USB slot, you might give it a try. My 4k Samsung is the easiest, best way for me to view my footage.

Sounds good j will try my moms newer quad core laptop and see what that does.. I was thinking the same thing, that the scanner I had prolly wasn't equipt for that ..

If you happen to have a TV with a USB slot, you might give it a try. My 4k Samsung is the easiest, best way for me to view my footage.

And yes I do have a tv with a USB.. So your saying just get the micro sd to USB card reader and play it that way? Stick it in the tv and it should come right up for viewing the footage? That's awesome I didn't know that. I'll have to try that then .. How would you actually select the video you want to play? Or does it just automatically start playing one video at a time with no stop or pause ability

The cached video should never be used. It is 720p and heavily compressed.
You should always take the video off the SD card.
If your video is not playing then change the recording format to MP4 for PC and MOV for MACs. Use a VLC for playback as it can handle both of codecs (and others).
Also, please make sure you are pressing stop before powering down the Phantom, as you could possibly corrupt file. If you do accidently power off before stopping, just leave the SD card in the Phantom and power it back on. It will then finalise the video.

And don't use the Micro USB to PC method. The Phantom must remain on for file transfer. This method will overheat the gimbal board which may result in laggy 5-6sec fpv. Use a card reader.

I'll try to upload to show you guys.. Granted it hasn't been very sunny where live in NY latly. But still I would think there is enough light.. Can you please post me some links to a good card reader and card? I have a 32gig scan disk card at home maybe I should give that a try.. I just don't get why when I put the card into my larger card adaptor then put that into my lap top and opened the folder why the videos wouldn't play that way? I mean it's more of a scanner vs a computer so maybe that's why.. It's a snap on diagnostics computer that I have cuz I'm a mechanic.. But it has Windows xp on it and is just like a mini laptop.. It has a slot for the regular sd card, so I used an sd to micro sd adaptor, slapped that into my scanner/computer, went to "my computer" and opend the folder. And it won't play the files.. They look like "paper files" not movie files" i have my settings to mov and I have it set for ntsc United States so idk

playing large high def files through a usb connection or direct from card reader(usb) will always stutter.
the speed is to slow...
copy the files direct to hard drive and play them.
if your pc is not to old it should be ok then.
if it is older pc you may want to record at 1080p to allow playing..

vlc, media player, Gomplayer all work with phantom files

So I can just use the windows media player then? I will try this on my moms laptop I'll stop by her house and try it out. What's a good video editor to use? And I just thought since dji had its own video editor that you could just watch/make the videos striaght from the ones recorded to the app.. I thought "well if dji made a video editor on the app strictly for using the videos that are recorded to the app during flight than there has to be a way to make the videos look better" but this makes sense as to why nothing I tried works.. I thought God is this camera really that bad on the advanced? cuz I was told as far as the recording between the pro and advanced that on a normal size tv one would never see the differnce between the two even if they were set up side by side... And to really get full advantage of 4K you would need a huge tv with an amazing picture .. Which is another reason I went with the advanced.. So I'm really glad I asked you guys cuz I was getting pretty **** frustrated with all these pixles on my video playback from the app after a flight.

Also I have messed around with my drone settings for over an hour at a time, with the drone on, and I did notice the gimbal gets quite hot.. Are you saying I could potentially ruin my gimbal this way? Or are you saying it will just end up creating horrible lag if I tried to fly it when the gimbal was this hot.. Cuz If leaving my drone sit idle with it on for more than 20-30 min is gonna start hurting my gimbal then I will make sure to never do that again.. I sure hope I didn't hurt anything by leaving it on for over an hour like I have done before..

Also so you guys are saying if I put my micro sd directly into a laptop dragged the videos onto my desktop and played them from there.. That those same videos that had absolutely horrible pixels during the video will simply just not be there anymore? If that's the case I will be extremely happy

Having pixels during fpv doesn't bother me so much cuz I don't fly with goggles.. But it just drove me nuts when I was trying to edit beautiful shots to show friends and all a sudden I would have one clip that was just totally ruined with pixelation

Also so you guys are saying if I put my micro sd directly into a laptop dragged the videos onto my desktop and played them from there.. That those same videos that had absolutely horrible pixels during the video will simply just not be there anymore? If that's the case I will be extremely happy

Having pixels during fpv doesn't bother me so much cuz I don't fly with goggles.. But it just drove me nuts when I was trying to edit beautiful shots to show friends and all a sudden I would have one clip that was just totally ruined with pixelation

That's right. The SD Card will be the main footage with the best quality. The one on the app is more or less a sample. Imagine it this way. You see a 4K tv in the shop and the pic is great, but if you filmed the 4K tv on your phone and then looked at the footage it would be crap. Same rules apply here [emoji4]

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
Wow very nice analogy!! I really like that. Very simply put thanks a lot!

I will def take some more flight vids tom upload them direct from my card into my laptop and let you guys know how they look, can't wait now.

Do you think I hurt my gimbal by letting my phantom sit on , on my Coffee table for over an hour more than a few times? As mentioned above he said it's not good and will create lag. Now he has me worried that I hurt my gimbal or processor. I feel think if that were true tho that on the dji manual it would say " do not allow phantom to sit still during it being ON, for more X -amount of time for risk of overheating gimbal etc"

Reactions: Neon Euc
Glad I helped [emoji4] as for the gimble being hurt its very easy to tell.... If it works fine then no damage is done. It's best in future to take out the SD Card in future anyway as it's faster to transfer files that way. The gimble is more stronger then you think. The amount of times I turned the P3A on and forgot to remove the gimble guard.... but believe me... all you have to do is turn on the drone, and if it starts up and does the "gimble drone dance" then all Is fine. Can you control the camera up and down with the remote? Then all is normal [emoji4] I know how you feel tho. The slightest problem and I worry to and get an exchange over the slightest thing. That's why I had 5 exchanges in 2 months lol. But to be honest it was just me over worrying.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I doubt if you would hurt it sitting there and on. With my P4, to play with the Simulator in the GO app the drone has to be turned on too (Which I think is dumb, but it's the way DJI does it.). I've had it on for an hour while playing with the Simulator trainer, and it still flies and yes it does get warm.

Also, I find the MOV files are not always playing well with VLC. They will sometimes freeze and not move smoothly. Media Player Classic x64 seems to work much better as does the player that came with Windows 10.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help guys you guys rock. Yes my gimbal does the dance just fine lol. It scrolls fine, doesn't glitch, it's smooth, and has zero lag. So I would say it's fine then .. Just worried me when I heard it gets hot and could hurt it cuz I did realize it got pretty warm the one day but as I said I couslnt imagine dji making this device knowing ppl would be leaving them on and having that hurt it. It prolly just gets warm cuz no air flow across the cooling fins but I feel like unless it was stuck on for hours on end in a 90+ degree room the it's prolly gonna be ok lol. But now I know to keep an eye on it

Reactions: Neon Euc
So guys I guess I'm slow, cuz I only just now found out that I can use a sd card reader on my iPad mini through the Lightning port! I'm gonna go straight to Walmart tomarrow since it's my day off, I'm gonna see if I can pick up a high writing speed sd card for starters. That is what I want right? Fast writing? And second I'm gonna see if I can pick up the card reader for my iPad, if not I'll order one through eBay.. And then I should be able to record in MOV as I have been, and simply take the sd card out of my gimbal, place it into the card reader which will be hooked into my iPad mini 2 and then simply import the videos striaght to my iPads hard drive.. My bran new iPad mini 2 -32gig should have no issues playing these videos back in high 2.7k quality will it? Will I need a special movie player ? Or can I just click play once it's on my iPad mini hard drive? I'm also gonna pick up a USB to mini sd card reader as well I think just to have it incase I wanna use a laptop or maybe incase I just wanna plug it directly into my tv to watch the videos straight from my tv.

Also once they are on my iPad hard drive and once connected to wifi I should have no issues editing the videos and uploading them to YouTube in hd correct? Cuz that's eventually my plan so can easily show friends/family

Ok guys I have more questions for you to help me with!

I got the 32gig scan disk extreme. I was gonna buy the 64 but it was almost more than double the price, I got a good deal on it for just over 20$ for the 32gig..

I also got the flash drive/sd card reader for 10$ it's only a 2.0usb but oh well, Hopfully it doesn't slow it down too much when reading and Transferring.. I couldn't find a 3.0usb one..

My issue is, I plug it into my tv and can see the MOV files, but it the tv says "cannot play" I put it back in the drone changed the camera to record MP4 and still the same thing.. I have an older desktop running Windows xp.. Transferred the files to the desktop from the card .. They come up as a "quick time" file, I try to play it, it automatically would open "quick time" and I would have a blank white screen..

So I try to open either file, MOV and MP4 with the windows movie player instead, and with both files it says "file can not be found" "make sure this file is from a reliable source"

I then tried playing the files directly off the card with no avail.. Same exact messages and no playing movies :(

ANY help would be greatly appericated!!

Idk if my computer is just too old? I get that.. But why won't it play on my brand new 50" led RCA flat screen tv?? This is annoying . Iv owned my phantom for over a month now and have yet to watch a video file striaght from the sd card. And ever since talking to you guys yesterday Iv been so stoked to see what these "real" videos look like that I took, vs watching the ones just ceiched onto my dji app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31