How important is third axis stabilization?

Reaction score
Looking at going with a PV2 with Dronexpert (2-axis). How important is the yaw axis stabilization for non-professional video?

jasperthayer said:
2/3 = 66.6% therefore the 3rd axis provides 33.3% importance.

And I suppose that remaining .1% of importance is reserved for reading the manual? :lol:

npalen, the point here is that it's totally up to you how important it is, if you're the one who the videos are for. Whenever you fly with a 2-axis gimbal your shots should be nice and level, but you may still get some yaw-wiggling that can show up in the vids, either from wind or just minor aerodynamic instabilities. You'll have to see how much of that your Phantom has normally, and whether it's enough to bug you or not.

I disagree on it being 1/3 of the stabilization, at least on the current Phantom models. If you're good enough at controlling the yaw stick, or you have a better than stock RC you can compensate well enough for lack of yaw stabilization. I don't see that much benefit with position of the Phantom legs. Once they make a phantom with retractable legs it would become more important.

I maybe blind but of ALL the different with and without 3rd axis stablization comparisons so far... I don't see a marked difference to have to upgrade from 2D gimbal. just my point of view. If I had to do it all over again and I was buying scratch... i would buy 3D new rather than discounted 2D.

That's because I buy what is best at time of purchase. I purchased my P2Z-2D in february slightly used 1100 worth of equipment for $800. Now the sweet spot is in a P2V+. Kind of like computers back in the day when every 6 months there was a Major upgrade in Hardware and software.

There comes a point where it's good enough and at least last you a year. With all the new Phantom competitors coming out with new and cheaper ones and technology moving so fast... I expect that this is just the beginning. End of year we will probably see a Phantom 3

derrickduff said:
I disagree on it being 1/3 of the stabilization, at least on the current Phantom models. If you're good enough at controlling the yaw stick, or you have a better than stock RC you can compensate well enough for lack of yaw stabilization. I don't see that much benefit with position of the Phantom legs. Once they make a phantom with retractable legs it would become more important.

Case in point. If you don't feel the difference matters to you, then there's no reason to bother with spending the money. For me though, the vast majority of vids I see made with a 2-axis gimbal...even the ones that are smooth and even for the most part...could still look better if they were stabilized on the 3rd axis. But, that's just my perspective, and I've certainly seen a lot of shots that sorely needed that still get used in "professional" productions.

There's a number of things that can add wiggle in the vids that can't always be compensated for just by skilled stick input, and I don't like to just hope I don't encounter any of them while filming.

Those that have it, will say it's necessary. Those stuck with the old 2D, will say it's not worth it. I have both, and let me tell you, I hardly use stabilization in my post production using my 3D. The video is very smooth almost like the camera is stuck on a post.

bostonlines said:
Those that have it, will say it's necessary. Those stuck with the old 2D, will say it's not worth it. I have both, and let me tell you, I hardly use stabilization in my post production using my 3D. The video is very smooth almost like the camera is stuck on a post.

Are you using it with a Phantom with stock landing gear?

Just compare videos shot with a 2 axis and 3 axis. If you honestly can't see the major improvement, you might as well stick with the 2d and if need be, rely on software stabilization.

That demonstration video is really great at showing how well the 3rd axis comes into play. - tho they do fly a bit extreme just to show the difference.

I fly with a 2-axis on my Phantom and a 3-axis on m F450, and the different is dramatic (tho obviously the 450 flys a lot smoother).
I was flying my Phantom out yesterday in slightly windy conditions, and even while flying FPV I was bothered when my Phantom yawed around to compensate for the wind.
Post stabilization can help a bit tho.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair