How important is screen aspect ratio?

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a dedicated tablet for my P4 but I'm not sure on how important the device's aspect ratio is. I'm looking at the Galaxy Tab A which has 1024x768 res which is a 4:3 aspect. I'm guessing that while watching the camera stream, I won't see the entire FOV being captured by the camera. I trying to wrap my head around whether or not shat should be an issue for me. Any insight would be appreciated!

EDIT: Just found the Tab E at a reasonable price. 16:10 aspect. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've answered my own question... I installed DJI GO on my wife's iPad (4:3) and it letterboxes the display. So while the diagonal image size will be smaller than an equivalent widescreen display, the on-screen flight data occupies the black bars thus uncluttering the actual image. But you all already knew that ;-) Galaxy Tab A it is!

Not for me, I hate 4:3, HATE it, everything I have, since like 2004 has been 16:9, we see wider then 4:3 so it's more natural. I love my Asus and it's like 2500X1500! And smokes the iPad in ppi

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not for me, I hate 4:3, HATE it, everything I have, since like 2004 has been 16:9, we see wider then 4:3 so it's more natural. I love my Asus and it's like 2500X1500! And smokes the iPad in ppi

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The stream is still 16:9 viewable it's just letterboxed (black bars on the top and bottom) which I actually found to be okay because that's where the flight data is... keeps the video stream uncluttered

I wish everyone could have an awesome-enjoyable-memorable experience, every flight with which ever device tablet or smart phone they have bought & choose to use. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case for many. But the majority of us are having a blast. I chose the iPad Air 2 Cellular, because it seems to give nearly the very most bang for the buck. Even more so now, that prices have nearly been split in half. So buying an ultimate device to use for your drone, should be a fairly painless process for most today. ;-)
Flying an expensive Phantom, with its power hungry Go app necessitates a worthy device, to run it all, seamlessly. Using an elcheapo device, can often lead to an exerience that is less than desirable. Often unpredictable. Where by, I know exactly what to expect. Barring any unforeseen complications from above. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I wish everyone could have an awesome-enjoyable-memorable experience, every flight with which ever device tablet or smart phone they have bought & choose to use. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case for many. But the majority of us are having a blast. I chose the iPad Air 2 Cellular, because it seems to give nearly the very most bang for the buck. Even more so now, that prices have nearly been split in half. So buying an ultimate device to use for your drone, should be a fairly painless process for most today. ;-)
Flying an expensive Phantom, with its power hungry Go app necessitates a worthy device, to run it all, seamlessly. Using an elcheapo device, can often lead to an exerience that is less than desirable. Often unpredictable. Where by, I know exactly what to expect. Barring any unforeseen complications from above. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I ended up with the Galaxy Tab A. $180 at Best Buy. I went in for the iPad 2 Mini for $200 but it doesn't have GPS (didn't know till I got there) so I ended up with the Tab A. The video stream is a bit choppy with some occasional purple distortion (my next Google/Forum-foo search). I'm hoping it's not a processing horsepower issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj