How I Fought Jello With Gel + HERO4 - And Won

I tried a polarizer filter but it didn't really help. But when I tried an ND filter the jello is suddenly gone. Finally! Haven't flown in really windy conditions yet but I'm encouraged.

Captain Obvious said:
ddublu said:
Does shooting in 720p/60fps/5 sec pictures impact image quality compared to a standard 5 sec timelapse picture?

Yes.

Thought so....bummer..got excited for a second...thought I had missed some form of update....looks like two flights for me, still.

Or you could just add a small ND4 filter. That forces the Gopro to drop its shutter speed and the jello is no more. In bright daylight the go pro can run as high as 500/1 or even 800/1.... that means that the camera will show every bit of vibration it gets be it from a motor or prop. An ND4 drops it down to around 250 or lower and it become very stable.

Thanks for the information. After getting your Hero 4, did you try taking out the gel insole piece? That would really help compare both cameras.

hemorrhagic flyer said:
herein2014 said:
I have that filter but I did not use it to try to eliminate jello. I use the ND filter for certain effects, but putting it on for every flight and hoping it would eliminate jello was not a good enough solution in my opinion.

There in no "hoping" involved. An ND filter will eliminate jello because it forces the GoPro to use a slower shutter speed.

This has been well-documented for a long time.

I see you have returned. :)

herein2014 said:
hemorrhagic flyer said:
herein2014 said:
I have that filter but I did not use it to try to eliminate jello. I use the ND filter for certain effects, but putting it on for every flight and hoping it would eliminate jello was not a good enough solution in my opinion.

There in no "hoping" involved. An ND filter will eliminate jello because it forces the GoPro to use a slower shutter speed.

This has been well-documented for a long time.

An ND filter does not always eliminate jello. The frequency of the vibration, the ND filter rating, and the amount of sunlight on that given day will all determine how effective the ND filter is. All an ND filter does is reduces the amount of light that reaches the CMOS. When the reduced amount of light is detected, the GoPro reacts by slowing down the rolling shutter to compensate for the decrease in light...if the amount by which the shutter has been slowed allows for the vibration to pass before the CMOS commits the image to memory then the jello will be eliminated; if the day is particularly bright or the vibration's frequency causes it to intersect with the new shutter speed...jello will still occur.

This too has been well documented. There are plenty of reports of mixed success with just trying an ND filter, which is why I chose not to "hope" an ND filter would fix my issue. I haven't even mentioned the other side effects such as the impact of an ND filter in a low light scenario. If you are flying like I am strictly to get the best quality footage possible, then you only use an ND filter when it will improve the footage; not to hide problems with your setup.

If its to much light your worried about couldnt it help to just set the manual setting to a lower shutter and adjust the ISO on the camera and not need to bother with a ND filter? I have the h3-3d gimbal with the gopro hero4 black and have had no problems with it I was using a hero3 before that and switched cameras and didnt do any re-calibrating what so ever, and it works fine but it looks like other people are have trouble with this and im not sure why? how would one go about re-calibrating there gimbal? can you only do it with the flight assistant software?

Sorry I was under the impression I could, still havnt messed with it a whole bunch but I know you can change the ISO which will help you change the look of the lighting. any ideas why when I switched from hero3 to hero4 i didnt have to re-calibrating the gimbal? I hear people having an issue with that.

herein2014, thanks for the idea of using gel as a dampener for the camera.

wonder it will work with alternative material shown below which is easy to get.

revolutionary-gekko-dashboard-sticky-pad-vehicles-offic-1006-29-shaunyap@1.jpg

Hi All,

So I have been battling jello with the GP3 and now the GP4 Black, mounted on a H3-3D for some time. I have tried many different things, including what the original poster did. My jello has in fact become worse as I've gone on! I know it's probably unrealistic to expect zero jello in every flight, but more often than not I have jello that ruins shots and just makes me sad!

I thought the vibrations were being transferred down the screws (the rigid contact) and on to the gimbal plate...so I removed the 4 hex screws as a test, and my h3-3d is now attached to my phantom via 4x cable ties.

I assumed a mixture of plastic table ties, ear plugs down the middle of the softest supplied rubber dampeners, kyosho anti-vibration gel, and shooting at 50fps would sort it out. Nope!

I had less jello the gimbal plate was rigidly attached to my P2.

It's all a bit annoying! I'm going to try reducing my gains in pitch and roll like someone else did and they claimed that helped them. I am sceptical of how successful this will be!

Good info - I hate to gloat, but I seem to have been rather lucky on this. Phantom 2, gopro 3 black, H3 3D gimbal, white dampers and never had even a twitch of jello effect.

I had my H3-3D attached with cable ties against a kyosho anti-vibration sheet, but reverted to good old screws and the anti-vibration sheet. Went for a test flight - zero jello. Still remaining sceptical about this, as the light wasn't as strong, so I suspect the slower shutter speeds may have helped.

Will have to wait a week before I can test further!

This is a very good write up and good advice for fixing the jello effect that a lot of us have encountered. However I noticed one thing that was incorrect in your write up, the Hero 3 black can shoot 720P plus photos every 5 sec at 60fps. This is the setting I use every time I fly with my GP Hero 3 black. So for those who are looking to fly with that setting purchasing the latest Go Pro is not necessary. My camera will not shoot photo and video at 1080P though which I believe the hero 4 does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers