How I balanced the Polar Pro ND Filter [video]

Reaction score
Here's how I balanced the Polar Pro ND Filter today.

Basically I used 3x 5p coins stuck on the tilt motor'e metal housing (currently with BluTack) and (1x 2p) + (1x 20p) on the back plate (using velcro). Seems pretty balanced to me, but might not be perfect... what do you think?

Interested for everyone to also confirm the gimbal dance I see on startup, do you get the same behaviour + slight drifting to the left?

https://vimeo.com/95428115 (Password: phantompilots123)

Slightly concerned I'm adding to much weight to the motors but it needed all that to balance as it does...

2p = 7.12g + 20p = 5g = 12.12g
5p = 3.25g x 3 = 9.75g

Polar Pro ND weight = 11g
Counterbalance total weight = 21.87g :?

Please keep us posted on how the H3-3D performs with the Polar Pro.

I was hesitant to use a Polar Pro on my H3-2D because it is so heavy. However, I did add the lightweight GoPro Lens Protector to both my cameras and counter balanced the H3-2D gimbals with a US Quarter. Both gimbals died in crashes long before the motors showed any signs of wear or tear from the unauthorized modifications. Nor did I ever notice any other untoward behavior.

However, one Lens Protector was torn loose in a crash, never to be seen again. The other Protector has several deep gouges from hard landings. I can only assume that without the Lens Protectors, I'd be replacing two GoPros along with two gimbals.

I have the same drifting as well. But the drifting is after a couple sharp turns "flicks" to the left

Ejazzle said:
I have the same drifting as well. But the drifting is after a couple sharp turns "flicks" to the left
That happens to mine occasionally too. Was just testing again earlier and it drifted the other way for a change. Such a temperamental little device.

Quadro said:
Will do.

Cheers for the info.

I sent a email to DJI last week about the problems where having and they got back to me today...to repeat the same question:( I'll wait another week to get an answer then?

iPad using Tapatalk

Jaybee said:
Quadro said:
Will do.

Cheers for the info.
Yeah I'd be interested in this too as I have the very same filter.Very good video and really shows what where all experiencing.
So would you permanently keep the filter on all the time? I say this as wouldn't it be a hassle unsticking the 5 pences of the motor all the time?

iPad using Tapatalk

Jaybee said:
Quadro said:
Will do.

Cheers for the info.
Yeah I'd be interested in this too as I have the very same filter.Very good video and really shows what where all experiencing.
So would you permanently keep the filter on all the time? I say this as wouldn't it be a hassle unsticking the 5 pences of the motor all the time?

iPad using Tapatalk

Marconi Union said:
I sent a email to DJI last week about the problems where having and they got back to me today...to repeat the same question:( I'll wait another week to get an answer then?
I presume the weird warm-up / cali. behaviour is software related and the buzz / hum is likely to do with the hardware in some way (beta testers, yep). I'm fairly sure the vibes are coming from the tilt axis servo.

I reckon the interference lines I see on my Black Pearl are to do with the hardware issues, given the vibration it would certainly explain this. Also likely to be causing the jello which my old 2D never had, even in bright sunlight.

However, it looks like I may be alone with the crazy audio tone on my GoPro footage. After my testing today, this is quite likely to do with the same interference, but weird how no one else has reported getting it. To be honest, I can live with it. I've sorted out the horizon issue, got the ND filter balanced, so if some more flight tests tomorrow go well and the footage is usable / what I expect, I think I can accept the weirdness.

No one said this would be easy right?! I've spent the best part of two days f**ing around with this!

Marconi Union said:
I think I will, but keen to see if a sunset / dusk shoot will still result in jello without the ND. If my hunch is right, it will happen all the time as it's down to the vibration / interference issues.

It's not that much hassle tbh mate, the 5ps come off easy in one block so to speak (and stick well) and I have the back couterweight stuck on using velcro. Piece of piss to remove all three items swiftly.

Jaybee said:
Marconi Union said:
I presume the weird warm-up / cali. behaviour is software related and the buzz / hum is likely to do with the hardware in some way (beta testers, yep). I fairly sure the vibes are coming form the tilt axis servo.

I reckon the interference lines I see on my Black Pearl are to do with the hardware issues, given the vibration it would certainly explain this. Also likely to be causing the jello which my old 2D never had, even in bright sunlight.

However, it looks like I may be alone with the crazy audio tone on my GoPro footage. After my testing today, this is quite likely to do with the same interference, but weird how no one else has reported getting it. To be honest, I can live with it. I've sorted out the horizon issue, got the ND filter balanced, so if some more flight tests tomorrow go well and the footage is usable / what I expect, I think I can accept the weirdness.

No one said this would be easy right?! I've spent the best part of two days f**ing around with this!

I recon that's the best attitude Jaybee. If your getting great footage and accept the weirdness, that's ok in my book:)
I've had the same ******* about and just want to film great stuff.
Also I get the same interference lines too....
Where all in the same DJI boat if that is any comfort....

iPad using Tapatalk

Marconi Union said:
I recon that's the best attitude Jaybee. If your getting great footage and accept the weirdness, that's ok in my book:)
I've had the same ******* about and just want to film great stuff.
Also I get the same interference lines too....
Where all in the same DJI boat if that is any comfort....
Yep, this forum is worth it's weight in digital gold ;)

Reactions: Brent10
Jaybee said:
Here's how I balanced the Polar Pro ND Filter today.

Basically I used 3x 5p coins stuck on the tilt motor'e metal housing (currently with BluTack) and (1x 2p) + (1x 20p) on the back plate (using velcro). Seems pretty balanced to me, but might not be perfect... what do you think?

Interested for everyone to also confirm the gimbal dance I see on startup, do you get the same behaviour + slight drifting to the left?

https://vimeo.com/95428115 (Password: phantompilots123)

Slightly concerned I'm adding to much weight to the motors but it needed all that to balance as it does...

2p = 7.12g + 20p = 5g = 12.12g
5p = 3.25g x 3 = 9.75g

Polar Pro ND weight = 11g
Counterbalance total weight = 21.87g :?

So 37p then? :D

You might want to check your yaw axis balance as well since you have added over 21g to the 'front end' so to speak. Ideally a 3x gimbal should be neutral balanced in all three planes.

btw - out of interest that yaw drift to the right after start up sequence...... does it instantly correct itself once you fire up the motors and lift off?

I just received the "Team Black Sheep Jelloguard Hero 3" ND Filter and holder. It weighs 11.5g.
I balanced it with 2 quarters on the back. I have a Phantom 1.2 with the H3-2D.
It seemed to take longer to warm up and balance but it seems to work okay.
It does seem like a lot of weight for the gimbal.
Does anybody use just a piece of ND gel taped or fixed onto the lens? That would have almost no discernible increase in weight.

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:jelloguard_h3

The Editor said:
So 37p then? :D

You might want to check your yaw axis balance as well since you have added over 21g to the 'front end' so to speak. Ideally a 3x gimbal should be neutral balanced in all three planes.

btw - out of interest that yaw drift to the right after start up sequence...... does it instantly correct itself once you fire up the motors and lift off?

I’m sending the gimbal back to the supplier, reason here.

I can’t believe we are having to do all this anyway, look at DJI’s promo for the H3-3D, no jello, super smooth. This is what the thing should perform like. This is what you should expect when you fire the thing up. And as we all know, they do not even recommend using filters.

Something has gone wrong either with their manufacturing of the device or the software.

It’s not like the odd one here or there, seems like everyone who posts about the H3-3D on here reports the buzzing / vibration. This is the cause of the jello, and in my case the crazy audio tone on my GoPro footage. The 2D did not buzz or vibrate and gave me zero jello.

The Editor said:
In my testing yes, even if you just left it for a while, or manually yaw'ed with your hands for a bit.

However, the buzzing and vibration never stops.

Jaybee - I get the same audio on start up. Like you, I assume it's getting drowned out by the motors once I start flying.
just got th h3-3d two days ago so I don't know if there's any consequences. I'm also getting the drift(mostly left) from the yaw motor on start up. but if I wait it out (45- 60 secs) it usually settles back to straight forrward. my tilt also tilts forward on start up but if I tilt down and then back up it goes to center/vertical postion.

DHTV said:
Jaybee - I get the same audio on start up. Like you, I assume it's getting drowned out by the motors once I start flying.
just got th h3-3d two days ago so I don't know if there's any consequences. I'm also getting the drift(mostly left) from the yaw motor on start up. but if I wait it out (45- 60 secs) it usually settles back to straight forrward. my tilt also tilts forward on start up but if I tilt down and then back up it goes to center/vertical postion.
Good to hear someone else is getting this issue. Yeah, I think the same thing about the motors drowning the sound out. I've discovered it's definitely to do with the new USB ribbon connection...

I tried swapping out my 2D backplate plug as described on this post, did a test and the audio noise wasn't present, but the gimbal behaved differently - it did the weird repeating 'flipping down' thing that some other people have reported. This doesn't happen with my setup using the USB ribbon.

I also tested the gimbal by hand, i.e, moved it about when it wasn't attached to the Phantom body to simulate flight (using both plug setups)... the yaw servo vibrates like mad. The other servos also vibrate but sporadically. This really confirms to me that all the jello is coming from these vibrations.

I'll still send this one back to the supplier (suggest you do too) and repeat these tests when I get a replacement. Generally feels like it's both a hardware and software problem going on here.

Jaybee said:
I also tested the gimbal by hand, i.e, moved it about when it wasn't attached to the Phantom body to simulate flight (using both plug setups)... the yaw servo vibrates like mad. The other servos also vibrate but sporadically. This really confirms to me that all the jello is coming from these vibrations.

That won't work - If you move the gimbal around without it being attached to the Phantom it will try and fight itself due to the fact that there is no feedback loop information coming from the accelerometers inside the Naza.

The Zenmuse works on a closed loop basis and takes into account not only its own data from internal gyros and IMU/GCU but also utilises a secondary 'feedback loop' from the Naza itself - This is why it's correction and stability is so good.

You need to do any testing with the gimbal properly attached to the Phantom. You should also do a full calibration of the Phantom and an X1 calibration as well.

Then try, and see what happens

The Editor said:
That won't work - If you move the gimbal around without it being attached to the Phantom it will try and fight itself due to the fact that there is no feedback loop information coming from the accelerometers inside the Naza.

The Zenmuse works on a closed loop basis and takes into account not only its own data from internal gyros and IMU/GCU but also utilises a secondary 'feedback loop' from the Naza itself - This is why it's correction and stability is so good.

You need to do any testing with the gimbal properly attached to the Phantom.

Right, fair enough. However, the other axis don't vibrate violently during this testing (they are quiet and smooth unless you go crazy and tilt to extremes) but the yaw axis has crazy vibration. Why would only the yaw servo fight itself?

The Editor said:
You should also do a full calibration of the Phantom and an X1 calibration as well.

Then try, and see what happens

Sure, I had done all that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues