How HOT can P3P operate?

Ike

Reaction score
I've been working on access to film in a steel recycling smelter, and wondering what ideas are out there on how HOT an environment the P3P can withstand before failure. I want the bird back for the 4K footage so flying til she dies isn't the best option. Thoughts?

I imagine shorter flights in hot environments would not klill the bird. The main issue involves the battery. Although in the hotter summer days in hotter zones, drones are flown without too much trouble. Do a few short flights and watch the battery temperature.

I think that as I don't know where precisely you are going to fly in the plant, it's a pretty difficult question to answer. Ambient temperature is one thing, but radiated/convected heat is quite another. As stated above, the length of the flight and the locations are quite important factors. A quick in-and-out is probably the way to go, with cooling-off breaks in between.

I've never put a blowtorch and thermometer towards my Phantom but I would imagine that radiated heat and the heat-sink tendencies of any metal parts could speedily render a Phantom into a quickly melting mass. Motors will start wobbling in their mountings, motor windings/bearings could expand and lose their tolerances and props may go soft, flexible and wobbly...

And that's before you even start considering the aspect of batteries/circuit-boards etc etc

As stated before,it could depend very much on where, exactly, you fly in the plant... But I would guess that, in general, it's a rather warm place... :)

Reactions: Ike

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj