Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How high do you fly?

Discussion in 'Phantom FC40 Discussion' started by dtviewer, Sep 15, 2014.

1. dtviewer

Ive noticed that I never really fly very high. I have read a lot of posts where posters mention flying hundreds of feet in the air.
    Unless there is something special I am filming I usually keep my phantom between about 15 to maybe 30 feet above the ground.

Am I in the minority?

2. Musicman

I'm a low flyer too.
    For me it's more fun, every now and then i take it up higher, to make a picture or whatever, but i prefer to fly fast and low instead of high.

3. Mandrake

The legal limit is 120m or 400 feet .. That's certainly enough for what I do and I remain legal !!

4. darwin-t

If I want to take aerial photographs, I shoot up high, spin around and come right down low.

As for flying around, I'd say I do most of it at 50 - 60 feet. A lot of the time I get up around 100, though.

5. DBeard

Of course I follow the rules. I never go up to say 600 or 700ft. Never!
    Trees around here are pretty scrubby, I can make sure I'm above them all at 100ft. That's where I spend most of my time, but I go up and grab videos and pictures almost every flight.

6. galencg10

I'm a low flyer too. But for the heck of it I bought an altimeter just to see how high I could go with the FC40.

So far 2,314 ft.

High enough so I could no longer see it and had to switch to Failsafe.
    Back to low flying for videos for me.

7. tmartin62

For what I do, I don't find any need to go near 400 ft. I probably stay near or below 200 ft.

8. lake_flyer

Took it up to the point RTH kicked in (to test if it would, I'd rather go straight up and down to test control range, then flying horizontally to god knows where without seeing it), which was scary high, I guess because I couldn't see it and I didn't have FPV, IOSD or Flytrex. But the footage was awesome. 900feet is the limit here and I'm not going any higher anymore. I just wanted to test the setup.

9. GOKU1972

1 foot below the legal limit.

10. RipperFox

11. kev0

Flew 300m the other day, was too scared to go higher

12. Ohary

Ive gone over 2000' but at that height I start to lose signal. I usually only go that high up in the mountains where there really aren't any aircraft to speak of. Here at home I tend to keep it under about 6 or 700'.

13. RIDETOEAT

My vision + is limited to about 200' since my stomach ties itself into such a knot my left fingers won't push forward on the stick any more. Weird, I know it is ok and it will do it but I am just not comfortable with distance yet. Flying ground control missions is helping calm me with more and more distance. 200 up and 400 out so far for me.

14. DBeard

I enjoy the knotted stomach feeling, however the shaking hands make it difficult to YAW. :lol:

15. kitari

I usually fly low when flying around the house, but when I get new shots, I'll take it up pretty high to see what's around the area, but even then it's usually still in line of sight. Only flew out of sight twice.