How hard to push?

Reaction score
So, I am visiting a new location in the U.S. on travel and was trying to scout a location to fly my Phantom, found a park, and I checked the park's webpage for any rules or regs and there were none listed. (This is not a national park and I'll withhold the name because I don't want anyone harassing them). So, being a good citizen, I called them and asked about existing rules. The person that I asked said "I've never been asked that question before" but said she would talk to the park manager. (This is not a small park, it is 10,000+ acres.). She put me on hold for a min and then came back and guess what the answer was? "No". So I aked if there was any specific reference she could point me to and if it was a park reg or a county reg and she didn't have any answers. I politely pushed a little harder and she cited wildlife harassment. The manager agreed to talk to the "central office" and get back to me. Anyone have any experience like this and how do you recommend handling it? In these types of situations, are all activities banned unless specifically permitted or the other way around or is it usually the discretion of whoever is asked? I don't want to push too hard and make things worse for the hobby, but on the other hand, I don't want to just roll over on our rights because someone saw a news report about a drone landing on the White House lawn. Thoughts?

Not in Colorado but here all state parks have a set of Regulations you can get and I would ask or look for them .
It will state what you can or can not do there .

I had considered that, but knowing how hefty some of the fines can be for this type of thing, I wasn't willing to potentially risk hundreds of dollars and a bunch of hassle.....

Jdruding said:
So, I am visiting a new location in the U.S. on travel and was trying to scout a location to fly my Phantom, found a park, and I checked the park's webpage for any rules or regs and there were none listed. (This is not a national park and I'll withhold the name because I don't want anyone harassing them). So, being a good citizen, I called them and asked about existing rules. The person that I asked said "I've never been asked that question before" but said she would talk to the park manager. (This is not a small park, it is 10,000+ acres.). She put me on hold for a min and then came back and guess what the answer was? "No". So I aked if there was any specific reference she could point me to and if it was a park reg or a county reg and she didn't have any answers. I politely pushed a little harder and she cited wildlife harassment. The manager agreed to talk to the "central office" and get back to me. Anyone have any experience like this and how do you recommend handling it? In these types of situations, are all activities banned unless specifically permitted or the other way around or is it usually the discretion of whoever is asked? I don't want to push too hard and make things worse for the hobby, but on the other hand, I don't want to just roll over on our rights because someone saw a news report about a drone landing on the White House lawn. Thoughts?

Such a shame. Someone covering their backside and their job by playing it safe when they don't have any information. It's crap. I think you should push very hard, but dont ask if you can fly, ask are there any rules which preclude flying. Since they dont know, they may well say no there aren't. And record your telephone call.

Sorry, I wasn't clear for brevity sake, but that was how I asked, not "can I" but were there any rules regarding flying. The woman did seem generally interested though, and not in a negative way, I think her genuine concern was that I would be buzzing elk or something. I explained that I planned on taking landscape photographs and video. That actually seemed to appease her, but it is really park "management" that is going to decide.

You sure don't want to record a phone call in the US as it is a felony (wire tap) in some states and in others it's against the law without notifying the other party you're doing so.

Just get a set of the reg's and keep them with you and if it's nothing in them on flying Drones or whatever they have them listed as have you a blast !!
Hell it's Colorado dude ! Stop at a pot store and get a few blunts and if they give ya any crap slip em one !!

Attachments

• Let's burn one an talk about this !.jpg
    Let's burn one an talk about this !.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 573
jason said:
You sure don't want to record a phone call in the US as it is a felony (wire tap) in some states and in others it's against the law without notifying the other party you're doing so.

Fair point jason, although kind of ironic in light of Prism/NSA. Have you seen what they are doing there :shock: One rule for them, and another for everyone else. Sorry going woefully off topic now.

Edit: just checked the laws in the UK. It is not illegal to record calls without notifying the other party - for example you might simply want this for your own records. However, things get complicated if you start giving the recording to third parties. If you were just playing the recording back to the person/business involved and there was no third party involved, I expect this would be fine in the UK. So the original suggestion could be a flier anyway depending on the local laws.

Dirkclod, I had actually considered that too (your first suggestion :) ) until she threw out "wildlife harassment". That is pretty broad and nonspecific, they could probably nail me with that over anything....

Some of these state parks make up rules as questions come up but are not official rules of the DNR. Some times best not to ask.

Harrasing wildlife is against the law. So is speeding. My car will go over the speed limit so I guess even if it's sitting in my garage they can give me a ticket.

Point being... you were not nor would you be harrasing wildlife. It's illegal when its _done_. Simply flying a drone does not qualify.

I pisses me off when idiots think their job is more important then other people's enjoyment of public land. A simple, yes you can fly but please don't bother people or animals would have been the proper response.

jason said:

I live in Colorado where only one party has to be aware of the recording

Wyoming has very beautiful parks. Stay out of Jellystone though.

Jdruding said:
Dirkclod, I had actually considered that too (your first suggestion :) ) until she threw out "wildlife harassment". That is pretty broad and nonspecific, they could probably nail me with that over anything....
I agree with both of your comments (dirkclod and yours). However, that park may be troublesome since you've already brought out your desire to fly there.

In my town, all the parks have ordinances against model planes. Quads have not been indicated but fall under the rule as well. (Ignorance of the law is not an excuse). As such, I've taken my planes and Phantom to a park in my town and flown both in the soccer fields. (There are six soccer fields placed back to back and side to side) in this area I've flown. It's a big area. Twice police officers stopped to watch. Only once did one mention the ordinance but said I was being responsible by not flying over kids playing in the soccer fields then left without incident. The other time, they were most interested in the Phantom with lots of questions about it and asked if they could try. I said sure, if I could drive their police car. We all had a good laugh.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr