How good is DJI at replacing deffective units?

Reaction score
Hello guys,
If you checked my post at the P2 section, you will see that my unit crashed and was totally broken when the motors suddenly turned off. It was a power failure, caused either by the battery which exploded in the air or by something else - NOT pilot error. I called them in their US office and they gave me an RMA. I shipped the unit along with a paper summarizing what happened. I also printed out some pictures of the battery (they asked not to send the battery).

I am wondering... if this was a battery-related problem, how come they don't need the battery? how will they determine that it was a hardware failure as opposed to pilot error (these things can also crash with a VRS, etc). How will they determine that it was indeed THEIR fault and not mine?

And then, how is DJI at replacing stuff? I am really expecting to get a new unit, as that one was totally garbage (and it had the Lightbridge on).

Here is the video if you guys wanna take a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38y5sTV7Xw8 in the paper I submitted I also told them I had that video if they wanted to check it out. If they contact me I could send them the link.

Anyways guys, I was just wondering what you think about all of these and if you know of any other people who had their units replaced.

Thank you all :mrgreen:

Ummmm... only one problem, if it was a power failure and/or the battery exploded in mid-air... you wouldn't have been able to record the end of that video. It would've cut out.

More likely the battery was damaged during the actual crash.

So we have to look elsewhere for the actual cause. Could be a motor failure.

As far as DJI and replacements... some have been successful, some have not. It just depends. On what, only they know.

They do seem to do right by a lot of folks. The biggest issue seems to be they take a LONG time to do so.

EDIT: Just realized... you probably have a P2 and a self-powered GoPro, huh. Forget what I said above about the video going out. Duh. I was thinking we were talking about a Vision.

ProfessorStein said:
EDIT: Just realized... you probably have a P2 and a self-powered GoPro, huh. Forget what I said above about the video going out. Duh. I was thinking we were talking about a Vision.

Yup. the GoPro is self-powered :mrgreen:

My one and only experience with DJI warranty (battery failure issue) and customer service was excellent. They confirmed the problem and replaced two batteries just for good measure. I paid Atlanta Hobby to repair the damage (broken PC board) resulting from the 60 ft crash (onto a roof). Excellent there also except they left a wire disconnected that made me panic until I figured it out. Reasonable turn-around on all counts.

Timtro said:
My one and only experience with DJI warranty (battery failure issue) and customer service was excellent. They confirmed the problem and replaced two batteries just for good measure. I paid Atlanta Hobby to repair the damage (broken PC board) resulting from the 60 ft crash (onto a roof). Excellent there also except they left a wire disconnected that made me panic until I figured it out. Reasonable turn-around on all counts.

what sort of battery failure did you have?

How old is it?

Great video so I would think that would help. Good thing the GoPro has sound and could hear the abrupt motor stop.

rrmccabe said:
How old is it?

Great video so I would think that would help. Good thing the GoPro has sound and could hear the abrupt motor stop.

Yep! the video is great :D This unit was around 3 months old and the battery it was using was around 1 month old, with just somo 20-30 flights on it.

PS: The video sucks but meant it is great evidence ! Sorry it happened.

Good luck. Hope we get good news back from you.

skidtrash said:
get in line to wait.. my unit has been at dji for 3 weeks and just got checked into line to be looked at

That sux. They told me the "estimated time" was around 4 weeks... so it might even be more. :( What happened to yours?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20