how folks sand & balance their props.

Reaction score
Tittle says it all

Do sand top or bottom :roll: :roll: :roll:
new nut or near the end
1000 grit or 80 grit
do I need to worry about it cracking apart in flight after sanding or is not that much off usually needed

I just tried balancing mine with a bit of transparent Scotch tape placed on the lighter end. Will fly tomorrow to see how it works. It's nearly invisible, removable and can be repositioned for the proper balance. Others have tried a bit of clear spray paint (make sure you get the right one so your props don't warp).

I sand if I want to take the time, sometimes I just use tape...haven't really seen a huge difference in the results between the two. When I sand, I've settled on 600-grit for both plastic and CF props, I wound up over-sanding too many times when using 300-grit.

One of the advantages to using tape is that you don't risk weakening any part of the prop, and for that reason I do always use tape when balancing the hub...I'll only sand the blades, and I avoid it if it's going to take a lot of sanding. So if you do sand be sure to avoid affecting the cross-section of the blade too much, like creating grooves or ridges.

It's generally a good idea to wear a cheap painting mask when sanding, but I definitely use one when doing the CF props (and eye protection too).

1dr1 said:
I just tried balancing mine with a bit of transparent Scotch tape placed on the lighter end.

Would think that would come off before to long of a flight
especially in cold weather. As the crap usually falls off when I send mail

skyhighdiver said:
1dr1 said:
I just tried balancing mine with a bit of transparent Scotch tape placed on the lighter end.

Would think that would come off before to long of a flight
especially in cold weather. As the crap usually falls off when I send mail

That is how I do it... not pretty, but effective.

I have not had any come off- I apply it at room temp and make sure no air bubbles of course. I fly in 20 degrees and it stays on. The props will be swapped before I ever see any significant degradation to that bit of tape.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4