How focusing works on the P4P?

Reaction score
I think this matter deserves a sticky thread. There are some questions I'd like to iron out, I am sure a couple of others have questions as well. Let's make a kind of FAQ.

There are two modes for focusing, Auto and Manual. My questions:

In Auto mode:

* If I choose to focus on an object 10 meters away and then approach it until it's only 5 meters away. It is kept in the focus point box the entire time. Will I still have focus on it?

* If the answer is Yes: I take focus on the same object. It is 10 meters away. I pan, and the object leaves the green auto focus box on screen. In comes a corner of a house, which is only 2 meters away. It enters the focus box. Will the camera switch focus automatically?

* If the answer is Yes: Will it find focus immediately or will it perform a whole "focus range test" to find appropiate focus and then apply correct focus? It matters because the auto focus procedure is a disaster in an important shot.

Manual mode:
* The manual mode has a "wheel". What is the point of the focus box? Is it only to help you see appropiately when you use the wheel?

* The wheel is not logic to me. On the upper side there is the macro symbol. On the lower, infinity symbol. That is logic. What is not is, if I turn the wheel by pointing my finger closer to the macro symbol, the wheel turns towards the macro symbol. This would imply I set focus at minimum distance. However, the position of the wheel is now in the maximum end: the end closest to the infinity symbol. Have I just set focus minimum distance or maximum distance?

I assume the focus point in manual mode stays the same at all times, regardless of what enters the box.

If one wants to apply infinity mode as on the P4 and older models, you enter Manual mode and turn the wheel to the direction that soon will be answered as the infinity direction.

Hi Dronefriend, I will do my best but I can't unequivocally say say for sure but ill do the best with what I have learn thus far.

* If I choose to focus on an object 10 meters away and then approach it until it's only 5 meters away. It is kept in the focus point box the entire time. Will I still have focus on it?
Yes
* If the answer is Yes: I take focus on the same object. It is 10 meters away. I pan, and the object leaves the green auto focus box on screen. In comes a corner of a house, which is only 2 meters away. It enters the focus box. Will the camera switch focus automatically?
Yes the camera will adjust
* If the answer is Yes: Will it find focus immediately or will it perform a whole "focus range test" to find appropiate focus and then apply correct focus? It matters because the auto focus procedure is a disaster in an important shot.
have you watched footage and found the AF really noticeable? I have not. Im not sure of an example where you could be moving so fast the drone can't keep up. Maybe sport mode or something? the faster moving the footage the more rolling shutter and the less impressive the camera is.

Manual mode:
* The manual mode has a "wheel". What is the point of the focus box? Is it only to help you see appropiately when you use the wheel?
Its to set the digital zoom assistant. wherever this box is, is where the camera will zoom into when focusing.
* The wheel is not logic to me. On the upper side there is the macro symbol. On the lower, infinity symbol. That is logic. What is not is, if I turn the wheel by pointing my finger closer to the macro symbol, the wheel turns towards the macro symbol. This would imply I set focus at minimum distance. However, the position of the wheel is now in the maximum end: the end closest to the infinity symbol. Have I just set focus minimum distance or maximum distance?
I have noticed the symbols are almost at opposite ends as well.. Check my video here

I assume the focus point in manual mode stays the same at all times, regardless of what enters the box.
Yes it does.
If one wants to apply infinity mode as on the P4 and older models, you enter Manual mode and turn the wheel to the direction that soon will be answered as the infinity direction.
Check lens calibration in settings, I believe it might have been included in recent update. Users online have been reported being able to calibrate lens by using a high contrast object and setting it and permanently setting to infinity.

If you plan on using manual mode check my channel I have a video on peak focus threshold. You will need to know about that. Cheers

Hi Dronefriend, I will do my best but I can't unequivocally say say for sure but ill do the best with what I have learn thus far.

Yes
Yes the camera will adjust
have you watched footage and found the AF really noticeable? I have not. Im not sure of an example where you could be moving so fast the drone can't keep up. Maybe sport mode or something? the faster moving the footage the more rolling shutter and the less impressive the camera is.

Manual mode:
Its to set the digital zoom assistant. wherever this box is, is where the camera will zoom into when focusing.
I have noticed the symbols are almost at opposite ends as well.. Check my video here

Yes it does.
Check lens calibration in settings, I believe it might have been included in recent update. Users online have been reported being able to calibrate lens by using a high contrast object and setting it and permanently setting to infinity.

If you plan on using manual mode check my channel I have a video on peak focus threshold. You will need to know about that. Cheers
You confirmed my assumptions. Cheers to you too!

Will just test to find out about the symbols in manual mode. I think, moving finger towards Macro, ending up on infinity edge of wheel means Infinity focus. The confusion appears because the symbols don't move as well like on a real camera.

I cannot find lens calibration on iOS 10.2, latest GO App.

I found focus peaking threshold quite useless. It rather shows contrasty edges and not the real focus point? I shut it off.

Will just test to find out about the symbols in manual mode. I think, moving finger towards Macro, ending up on infinity edge of wheel means Infinity focus. The confusion appears because the symbols don't move as well like on a real camera.

I found focus peaking threshold quite useless. It rather shows contrasty edges and not the real focus point? I shut it off.
At the moment in this early stages of focusing drone cameras the edges are a good data point to associate with the slider. I don't really like manual I can't see if its in or out of focus with my iPad Pro 9.7" in daylight. But yeah its not optimal but any means. It will improve in coming years. But it is quite remarkable what the camera is capable of.

I am impressed as well. For the cost though I wouldn't expect less, but I'm impressed that it's available.

I flew just couple of hours ago. Very dull, boring conditions. Still the image was good. I will definitely not upgrade until an MFT camera or an equal improvement becomes available at the same price point. In a few years, maybe.

I can't find Lens calibration either IOS 10.2 Latest Go 4 App

JAck

After some testing of the focus distance points in Manual I have some results. A number represents a line on the focus wheel in the GO App. I didn't test all options.

[Flower]

- 9 = Unknown. 7 meter object was blurrier in this focal lenght vs "8".
- 8 = 7 m
- 6 = 4 m
- 4 = 2 m
- 2 = 1 m
- 0 = Unknown. Closest object I tested on was 1.3 meters away.

[Infinity]

Pulling finger towards flower will enable macro focus.

Has someone conducted similar tests?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie