How Fast Do DJI Quads Sink In Water?

Reaction score
Very new to flying and have a creek behind my house that is 80 yards wide and 27 miles long. Would eventually like to take some cool movies above the water of the islands of water hyacinth, turtles sitting on logs etc. but haven't had the guts yet as I am not experienced enough to be confident of my flying skills. Need more practice over land. Once in the water does a DJI quad float at all or does it sink like a rock? Hopefully no one can answer this question from actual experience! :D

Fortunately, I cannot speak from experience, but my guess is, it would sink quite quickly. Perhaps not like a rock, but it does have quite a few openings for the water to get in, so I don't think it would last long.

Why don't you fit it with a set of floats, like a sea plane, and deliberately land it on the water. That would be cool! :eek:

There will be quite a few chiming in on this one. The phantom weighs around 1.3kg so it will sink pretty quick. My P1 disappeared into the sea never to be seen again.

Don't forget that the Phantom doesn't know it is over water; only the pilot does! Go for it, it will be nerve wracking at first, but the BEST shots are taken over water IMHO.

If you do not want it to sink... make some drivers to let it float... You only need a boat to get it back.. ;)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OleU6XNA-0s[/youtube]

I've seen a lot of videos of Phantoms crashing in water,the best ones are with the camera still recording as it sinks to the bottom. Fish seem to be attracted to them.

The Phantom shell does not have enough volume to float it's weight. Even if you sealed up all the holes, it would sink quickly. I have tried all types of floats. It is possible to land and take off from water with them but they have two problems.
Any volume big enough to float the Phantom, will act like a sail in the wind and prop wash, affecting handling and flight time.
It will be hard to keep floats out of the cameras view.
If you have a crash in water, the bird will likely land on it's top ("buttered side down" law) so that even if you recover it, there will be water damage.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
They sink like a rock! From personal experience, this was near Islamorada, Florida. I am still using the motors and Naza M flight controller. This was a Phantom 1, I had a bad cell in the battery which was fully charged.

[vimeo]100949579[/vimeo]

They make a product called a get er back or something like that. You strap it on a leg of your quad & if it sinks. A capsule is activated that pops off with a string that floats to the surface. Just pull it up.

I have seen on youtube that they landed one in a pool and ocean, (thinking it gopro camera), brought it back out and still flew. i would think it would still have some damage and u would have to rinse in distilled water to get out all the corrosive material, but it looked as if these people were rich and maybe old phantoms that they did'nt care.

Very new to flying and have a creek behind my house that is 80 yards wide and 27 miles long. Would eventually like to take some cool movies above the water of the islands of water hyacinth, turtles sitting on logs etc. but haven't had the guts yet as I am not experienced enough to be confident of my flying skills. Need more practice over land. Once in the water does a DJI quad float at all or does it sink like a rock? Hopefully no one can answer this question from actual experience! :D
i just got back my quad fully charged fell out of sky like rock into the ocean about 500 yards of beach sank like a rock gimbal go pro 4 and quad gone I'm so pissed bought after market batteries that what i get now looking for new quad

My understanding is the getterback gizmo isn't strong enough to lift a Phantom. Tom's Tech Time did a test on that. Also, depth is an issue. The deeper it sinks, the more air you need to pull it up since air compresses with depth.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20