How far should I fly away to still feel confident?

Personally, I would not go out to the 50% mark on your battery. I've had my P4 auto land with 10% battery power left without the ability to cancel it. Fortunately at 25% I was close and brought it in and was doing very close work within 30' of me with a safe landing spot I guided it to. It caught me off guard the first time it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I always make sure that when it says I have 30% left I return it to home, then fly it till it gets to 15% around the local park then let it hover near me and just run it down to 8% before I land it. No problems for me so far doing it this way

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I always make sure that when it says I have 30% left I return it to home, then fly it till it gets to 15% around the local park then let it hover near me and just run it down to 8% before I land it. No problems for me so far doing it this way

Works for me too, I do the same if it's not far away. They're talking about flying it straight out and away. That leaves very little room for changing winds and pilot error. [emoji33]

I fly out past 50% pretty often. Flying into the wind is key.

Gadget suggested the reason I only get 25,000' is because I'm flying below the sweet spot for speed

We all have the ability to fly to the limits . . and beyond. We all have the ability to fly within limits of regulation and not screw it up for everyone else. Selfish if we don't . . maybe hmmm. . . but we also got to the moon, difficult question?

Just a thought?

Hell . . .that's difficult.

But it is there for us all, without being selfish. Enjoy . . I am:smile:

View attachment 64631

This was at 1600+ feet high... You can see the city of london in the middle, then on the right hand side is a puddle which is the Thames...and next to that.. The millennium dome

I hope you were less than 400' AGL. If not you're being a bit reckless, no matter what country you're in. Please support safe flying.

I see what you mean. But what I don't understand is that if it says the max height is 400M then why does it allow me to get to that height? Saying that the flight path where I am I do t have to worry as the planes fly at around 2600 feet so I have no worries going to the height I go

Flying over 400 AGL without a permit to go higher is asking for trouble here's why:

1. You need to file a NOTAM and have permit for above 400AGL

2. Planes can fly lower than 500 feel AGL when doing exercises and training new pilots on emergency landings etc

3. Only ATC knows for sure if planes are in your area at 2600"

4. It's the law to fly within VLOS unaided again unless you have a permit.

5. If you have a flyaway at that altitude your drone will move further faster and unless you have to information and a radio to contact nearby aircraft you could endanger a manned craft which is something every drone pilot never wants to do

Getting the idea?

I see what you mean. But what I don't understand is that if it says the max height is 400M then why does it allow me to get to that height? Saying that the flight path where I am I do t have to worry as the planes fly at around 2600 feet so I have no worries going to the height I go

The limit is 400 feet... Not meters. Your max altitude should be set at 120M which equals approx 400 feet.
400 meters = 1312 feet.
120 meters = 393 feet
M = meters
Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:

For clarity you should include MSL (mean sea level) and AGL (above ground level) when talking about this stuff, so there is no misunderstandings in posts.

400 feet AGL is your advised highest altitude you should fly drones, you should know that, right? In general terms most manned aircraft are above 500' AGL, but there are exceptions, hence having visual line of site (VLOS) is important to avoid conflict. You can set your RC GO app settings to limit you to 400' help you avoid flying higher if you wish, but I usually stay below 300' AGL. However, I will often set mine to max height (500M) and fly over 1000' above my home point, but I will stay below 300' AGL. This is because I'm going up a mountain. That's why the GO app allows up to 500M (1640') of ascending from home point.

So, with GO set to allow 1640' (500M) AGL, how do you know if you're below 400' AGL while climbing a mountain (you might be thinking)? Experience, that's the only way. You need to stay low and judge your altitude through the display. Judging elevation through the display is actually easier than VLOS in my opinion. The view in the display at 400' versus 100' AGL is easy to discern with a little testing and training in the field.

To learn about elevation estimating through the display, there's a little game to play with yourself on level land. If you're flying on flat land that's the same elevation as your homepoint you can train yourself on elevation estimating. As you're flying along for run, fly up to 400' AGL and memorize the display look. Then, WITHOUT looking at the elevation telemetry on the GO screen, descend to an elevation that YOU BELIEVE is 100' AGL. Then look at the elevation telemetry and see how close you are to your visual guess. After you do this about 25 times you'll learn what certain elevations look like. BTW, this changes if you fly a Mavic with a different FOV camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj