How far should I fly away to still feel confident?

155 flights all long range only with 3 p3a 2269km on healthydrones
My personal best is 44,250ft out and back

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    594.4 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
I like to keep the thing in sight.. My comfortable range is about 2500 feet (750 meters). I can actually see the thing as a speck in the sky at that distance. I often have fun flying visually without looking at my iPad (like they did in the old days before video) :)

Yesterday, I went out a mile (1.6 Km), but that's very rare. I generally panic and turn around whenever the video starts breaking up which often occurs when I get over a mile. 1.5 miles (2.1 Km) is the furthest I've been.

My longest flight on record is 1.26 miles. That was over an open field with nothing between me and the craft. But I remember when I first got my phantom, 1/2 mile terrified me! :) Like the others have said already, The RTH feature will take care of you as long as you have the altitude set appropriately, and it is set to "return home", and not "hover" or "land".

Happy flying!

I know this is a P4 forum, but anyone with a P3S, how far can that one go ? I know it doesn't have Lightbridge. I was flying my Yuneec Typhoo Q500+ this weekend (went a little over 1100 ft), and was talking with a guy who owns a P3S, and he wasn't sure how far it could go distance wise. FYI, I had no problem spotting my bird 1100 feet away, personally, I always like to be able to see my drone, have not flown it far enough where I couldn't see it.

Last edited:
Varies with the environment. With a stock P3 Standard over RF-congested neighborhoods I've lost signal in as little as 1200'. Over open water I've gone 6000'+. The Standard really shines with Litchi for autonomous flights.

I know this is a P4 forum, but anyone with a P3S, how far can that one go ? I know it doesn't have Lightbridge. I was flying my Yuneec Typhoo Q500+ this weekend (went a little over 1100 ft), and was talking with a guy who owns a P3S, and he wasn't sure how far it could go distance wise. FYI, I had no problem sporting my bird 1100 feet away, personally, I always like to be able to see my drone, have not flown it far enough where I couldn't see it.

Reactions: Suhail78
Varies with the environment. With a stock P3 Standard over RF-congested neighborhoods I've lost signal in as little as 1200'. Over open water I've gone 6000'+. The Standard really shines with Litchi for autonomous flights.
That's Out-Friggen-Standing, Didn't know it could go that far.

FWIW, DJI claims the maximum transmission range of the P4 is 3 miles or 5 km. However, that is under ideal conditions. Many people have never managed that with the stock antennas that come on the controller. But, others claim to have exceeded it.

It's one of those "Your mileage may vary" things...

Reactions: snowghost
FWIW, DJI claims the maximum transmission range of the P4 is 3 miles or 5 km. However, that is under ideal conditions. Many people have never managed that with the stock antennas that come on the controller. But, others claim to have exceeded it.

It's one of those "Your mileage may vary" things...
That's really awesome. I'm definitely getting the P4 as my next drone. A little pricey, should have it in a couple of months. Most I ever spent for a drone was $600 (The Yuneec Typhoon Q500+).

Don't want to put a downer on your trip mate but New Zealand have very strict drone rules. In short, you can not fly anywhere without permission from who ever owns the land you want to fly over. For the record, I think the rules are ridiculous. Just want to give you the heads up.

That's a bummer! I've seen some video of people flying in New Zealand. I suppose they were just risking it!

That's a bummer! I've seen some video of people flying in New Zealand. I suppose they were just risking it!

Some vids were pre the new rules, some, like me, always get permission ;) Some just take their chances, there are some very remote spots. I've even seen a Chinese chap jump off a tourist coach, fly round a very popular, heavily populated beauty spot, jump back on the coach and bugger off.

It's all fine by me. it's up to you if you want to fly, like I said, I think the rules suck, I just wanted to give you the official position. If you do fly..be discreet and keep an eye out for officials , low flying helicopters and crop sprayers which are numerous in some areas.

What dirty bird said!

30mph
Raise and lower altitude slowly 1.2 to 1.5 ft per second. Very gradual.
Start low and raise to altitude. I try to get to 400' at the end of my run gradually. Opposite on the way back.
Fly OUT into the wind, use the wind to get back.
In sport mode with collision avoidance OFF- keep RPM's just outside of the green. If it's red you're going too fast or too windy.
For distance avoid filming or gimbal movements.

I hope that helps. I've gone 25,00+ with a stock bird and battery. Go until you lose signal. It will come home! Pending you have a good home point "home point has been set", and RTH altitude set high enough to avoid major things.

Lastly, go more and more SLOWLY

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I upgraded T/X system and can generally maintain signal longer than I feel comfortable with in terms of battery remaining. I haven't done any battery mods, so when I'm at about 60% I want to come home. My range runs are typically 3 miles.

I really don't get your point, you have linked me to the same site I linked you to. It clearly states on your own link....
  1. have consent from anyone you want to fly above

2. have the consent of the property owner or person in charge of the area you are wanting to fly above.
We have hijacked this thread enough, nothing I have said is untrue, proven by your own link. If you don't follow these rules, it is your choice, however you are flying illegally.

Martybabe, I was replying on the go and didn't see you posted that. Apologies for that. Are you in nz? Would be good to have a drone meet up as geeky as it sounds

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

When you push for range this may happen>>>If you lose connection and all your RTH settings are good your craft will should home. In the event that GO freezes and you lost connection you can just reboot GO it will not affect your RC or craft. When this happens and it will, try not to panic and press the RTH on your RC as this will cancel the RTH in your craft if you have regained connection and cannot see it in the app. When you press RTH on your RC hold for a few seconds and make sure the button has lit up red, then you know it is active. The first time this happened to me I did just that and cancelled RTH, regained some calm and remembered that the button has to be lit, repressed and waited for the light to come on. After I checked the video on the card in the craft you see the bird just stoped and hovered for some time befor I remembered about the red light that has to be on. It came back to my delight! Talk about nerve racking I really thought it was a gonner. If I would have just let all be as it was and waited for GO to reboot in the first place it would have come home all by itself. Like many other post here I was the weekest link, fill your pants and learn! Enjoy your new addiction!

If GO freezes that doesn't automatically trigger RTH. The controller can still control the craft, you just can't see the video feed. If you have VLOS you can still fly back and land without GO working. So if GO freezes just take your hands off the sticks and it will hover until you get GO rebooted and connected again. Optionally, you can press and hold RTH button to enable RTH until you can see the craft with VLOS. Then short press RTH to retake control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31