How Far Out Before Resetting Compass

Reaction score
At what point do you reset your compass?

According to the DJI video, my compass values should be anywhere between +ve 300 to -ve 300 with a mod of around 1600. Most of my values are well within that range except for the Z value which is just outside at 332, even after a compass dance. Is this far enough out of range to warrant resetting my compass with a magnet?
I'm not getting any compass error indications but I've just done an update and thought I'd take a look at these values while I was hooked up to the computer.
If I do go ahead and reset it can it be done inside the house while connected to my laptop with all the magnetic interference of Electrical gadgetry and metal fixtures etc ?

I look at degaussing the compass like dark magic. Not even ex-Mr. DJI, Colin Guinn could explain exactly how it worked or how to do it. If your mod value is in question, recheck it outdoors in a field if you can. If it improves outside, know that at least some parts of your house may be a source of magnetic interference.

No matter what, your house will likely be full of magnetic fun so best to find a space that is free of magnetic troublemakers for a good 5 to 10ft sphere. Your laptop should be the only exception.

If you can't get the mod value into the normal range, then try the degaussing and maybe consider just buying a new compass. They're $20 or so.

I'm a newbie, so don't trust me, but I re-calibrate my compass anytime I fly somewhere more than 10 miles from my last calibration.

Thanks ianwood, i checked the UK price and at £13, less than the price pizza, you're right, it's not worth messing around with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers