Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How Far Is Your VLOS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snerd, Jul 28, 2015.

1. snerd

I decided to test my eyesight the other day. Clear skies, I maintained eye contact until right at 2300ft. Altitude was 400ft. I was surprised I could see it that far away. Have you tested your eyes? How far?

2. CallMeAlan

I haven't yet done any great horizontal distances yet, but I found at 400 feet altitude I could only just see it as a speck. I can't imagine I'd be able to see it at 2300 feet away! But my eyesight ain't what it used to be!

3. robsquad

hmmm, i can see the moon but cant see my quad a 400ft, 300 and its gone

4. Marlin009

If I follow it out I can see it to around 2000'. Where it gets really dicey is if I take my eyes off it. Finding it again at that distance can be a real *****.

5. jcknows0

Depending on how high I go (to avoid all the trees), I've seen it out to 4000 feet. Would hate to have to orient it though, glad there is a GPS based map. Personally as much as VLOS is important, it is probably the single biggest point of failure whereas the GPS map is a constant source of certitude (unless of course GPS goes out, very rare on P3)

6. snerd

Yes, I was "following" mine out, all the way. Only way to test it without losing eye contact and having to locate it again at that distance.

7. BlackOpsTeamster

Hell, I loose the **** thing shortly after takeoff but then again I think my problem is I suffer from "man-vision".
    [​IMG]
    LMAO.....
    Seriously though, my eyes are horrible. If it gets above a couple of hundred feet I loose it easily. Maybe that's why I'm a little hesitant to go too far and too high.
    BOT

#7 BlackOpsTeamster, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015