How far have you dared fly?

Reaction score
I have just recently bought a used Phantom 2 that came with a GoPro 3+ for a pretty good deal. I have been flying it and recording video and photos, but am afraid of testing it's limits. How far has anyone here tested theirs and have you ever lost it?

This may sound dumb, but I had thought about attaching a fishing line (on a rod of course), and going to a very large open field and just sending it out as far as possible to see when I lose control. I wonder if a line would hold it in place until I move in to catch up to it and bring it back. The line would just be to keep it from going further once the connection breaks loose. I have the DJI AVL58 FPV System already on it and can see how far away it is, but thought it would be a nice safety feature just to test it once. I have read about so many fly aways and with what I have invested in the equipment, would really, REALLY, hate to lose it.

Thanks in advance.

I'm impressed by the guys who put all their faith in their FPV systems and fly using it. Personally I'm not happy if I can't see my drone clearly enough to see which way it is going when I provide some stick input. But that's probably just me.

Reactions: Phil Sutphin
I have just recently bought a used Phantom 2 that came with a GoPro 3+ for a pretty good deal. I have been flying it and recording video and photos, but am afraid of testing it's limits. How far has anyone here tested theirs and have you ever lost it?

This may sound dumb, but I had thought about attaching a fishing line (on a rod of course), and going to a very large open field and just sending it out as far as possible to see when I lose control. I wonder if a line would hold it in place until I move in to catch up to it and bring it back. The line would just be to keep it from going further once the connection breaks loose. I have the DJI AVL58 FPV System already on it and can see how far away it is, but thought it would be a nice safety feature just to test it once. I have read about so many fly aways and with what I have invested in the equipment, would really, REALLY, hate to lose it.

Thanks in advance.

Those days of how far and how high can I go are soon going to come to an end some time in September of this year. The guidelines that the FAA whats you fly are set at no higher then 400' and no further than 1500' an within VLOS.

I'm impressed by the guys who put all their faith in their FPV systems and fly using it. Personally I'm not happy if I can't see my drone clearly enough to see which way it is going when I provide some stick input. But that's probably just me.

+1 I'm with you on that.

It sounds dumb, you are more likely to get the line snagged and crash than anything else.
My advice is to build up your confidence by flying in wide open spaces, it really doesn't matter if you don't push the boundaries. If you think about it, we all know people who test the top speed and 0 to 60 times of their new car, it doesn't make you less of a person if you drive within the speed limits.

I'm fine flying within a safety zone and I'm not all about getting it so high or far away that I can't see it. I just want to get a good idea without losing it. I'm not planning on being a daredevil or flying against FAA regulations, but there have been times I was recording something and thought I could get a little bit closer to it with the P2 and was afraid of getting out of range.

I'm fine flying within a safety zone and I'm not all about getting it so high or far away that I can't see it. I just want to get a good idea without losing it. I'm not planning on being a daredevil or flying against FAA regulations, but there have been times I was recording something and thought I could get a little bit closer to it with the P2 and was afraid of getting out of range.

If it's worth filming then instead of getting quad closer why not move yourself closer within reason if possible.

That's exactly the problem. I couldn't get closer.

Flying out to 1500' isn't a problem where the problems lie is in depth perception and being able to see it at those distances. As long as you are not under something you could use failsafe and take over when it is close or when it's view once again.

Hello everyone,I fly my phantom 2 with fpv system,I have reached 1800 meters of distance ,you can't see it or hear it there with your eyes you see only the camera footage.Long distance fpv is amazing.It isn't dangerous if you are flying at the fields.Furthermore even if you have the best quad, even if you are the best pilot, even if it is fully inspected One day it WILL crash.So enjoy it before that day comes!

Who are you kidding that it isn't dangerous. A bullet shot up to the air which weighs far less then a quad can and has killed and injured people on the ground. So what makes you think your craft is any different then the bullet shot into the air. Is it because you can see with FPV what it is about to hit.

Those days of how far and how high can I go are soon going to come to an end some time in September of this year. The guidelines that the FAA whats you fly are set at no higher then 400' and no further than 1500' an within VLOS.

+1 I'm with you on that.

I second that vote, Being a past Pilot and Airplane owner, (haven't flown in 20 years) I would hate to return to the sky's. Being a newbie Quad owner It scares the living **** outa me to watch these YouTube Vids with guys launching these things over 4K agl. There is absolutely no need for it IMHO.
Those guys need to go see the wIzArD of Ozz and get a brain. o_O

ANNOUNCEMENT! To all Jet Aircraft and Airplane Pilot's Commercial or Pleasure. You are no longer allowed to fly over Oceans and Mountains up to 5 KM which is 16404.2 ft agl. Drones now have the right of way. If you hit a Drone and it causes your Aircraft to crash and you kill yourself, crew, and passengers ITS YOUR FAULT!

Last edited:
Don't try to justify your actions as safe because you have no idea what is or isn't below you when and if you were to loose power.

You obviously don't get the point! There are many Airports that are right next to oceans and in the mountains. Besides you were talking 5km. why switch and lower criteria to 30meters! But yes some airports even use the beach as a runway next to ocean. You may find this Video Interesting.

Jet planes fly at 30meters altitilude at the mountains and the ocean?Impressing!

I don't see an analogy in your statement. Jet aircraft are manned while quadcopters are not. You still cannot justify your position that flying 5km isn't dangerous and reckless.

Get yourself an iOSD-Mini, a 5 GHz Tx/Rx setup for FPV (including a display etc...) and you can see how far you are, how high you are, how much battery life you have and a couple of other tidbits of useful information. Not to mention you can frame your shot by seeing live what your GoPro is pointed at.

I cannot imagine flying without all of that information at my fingertips and the cost is relatively cheap (less than $200'ish).

Good luck flying!

Reactions: Duke
Get yourself an iOSD-Mini, a 5 GHz Tx/Rx setup for FPV (including a display etc...) and you can see how far you are, how high you are, how much battery life you have and a couple of other tidbits of useful information. Not to mention you can frame your shot by seeing live what your GoPro is pointed at.

I cannot imagine flying without all of that information at my fingertips and the cost is relatively cheap (less than $200'ish).

Good luck flying!

Very nice footage Phil ;) And I agree I have all of the above and wouldn't fly without it!

Very nice footage Phil ;) And I agree I have all of the above and wouldn't fly without it!
Thanks Duke, that was only the 2nd time I had it up and with no CP filter for the camera, the colors aren't that great, but that is on the way!

Good luck flying!

I have one extra piece of equipment attached to the monitor and that's a DVR to record all the telemetry.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj