How far From Power Lines should I be?

Reaction score
Hi.. I'm a Newbie with a Phantom 2 non-vision...I see warnings about not flying near Cell Towers or Power lines. There are a lot of power lines in my area. I'm not talking about giant Hi-Voltage towers.
To be safe how far should I be...Where I can't even see an power lines? 200-300 ft? I have a friend who flew near some to film a hawk and had no issues, but I want to be careful.
Am I safe if I am just not flying right next to them? Thanks in advance.
Keep soaring!
Steve

If you are asking about local supply lines, they are probably more danger as an obstacle than anything else.
At 20 ft you'd have no EMF issues and for flight safety you'd want to stay further away anyway.

Welcome to the party Steve.

Where are you? Watcha flying?

My advice on power lines has to do with underground lines.
Don't do the Compass Dance right over the top of them.
I have tried to calibrate the compass right over the top of my underground lines numerous times and it makes my bird stupid. :roll:

A friend of mine flew into a 30 foot power pole, with my FC40, and hit just below the transformer.
We dusted it off, put on a couple new props and it flew just fine. I think I got the indestructible model.

Enjoy the show

pianoflyer said:
Hi.. I'm a Newbie with a Phantom 2 non-vision...I see warnings about not flying near Cell Towers or Power lines. There are a lot of power lines in my area. I'm not talking about giant Hi-Voltage towers.
To be safe how far should I be...Where I can't even see an power lines? 200-300 ft? I have a friend who flew near some to film a hawk and had no issues, but I want to be careful.
Am I safe if I am just not flying right next to them? Thanks in advance.
Keep soaring!
Steve

There isn't any real danger with flying around or near residential power lines. But until you have a full working knowledge of your flight controls stay away from them as they stop your quad faster then you can say OH NO. Been there done that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPT9Ci4E_GY :eek: :roll:

Yes I still fly around in my backyard but I have many hours behind me and I have no fear flying under or over them just not through them. Power line are just trees there always in the way. :lol:

Thanks all. I am in SoCal. Have experience with r/c planes and been practicing with ominous dromida $80 quad & just moved up to Phantom 2 (non-vision)..-
Adding fpv later (probably a dumb idea not to have gone with vision).
I will definitely not fly directly near power lines for obstacle reason. Was more concerned with electromagnetic interference to gps if they were even 300 feet behind me and I was flying away from them (not high tension power lines).
Thanks for replies....being over cautious from flyaway stories I see...

pianoflyer said:
Thanks all. I am in SoCal. Have experience with r/c planes and been practicing with ominous dromida $80 quad & just moved up to Phantom 2 (non-vision)..-
Adding fpv later (probably a dumb idea not to have gone with vision).
I will definitely not fly directly near power lines for obstacle reason. Was more concerned with electromagnetic interference to gps if they were even 300 feet behind me and I was flying away from them (not high tension power lines).
Thanks for replies....being over cautious from flyaway stories I see...

Yeah if they are not the high tension power lines - your biggest worry is hitting them :)

The high tension ones do carry a magnetic field - but that would mess with the compass more than the GPS if at all. I have read a few posts were people have had a hard time calibrating the compass right under the high tension wires - but a lot of people will say they have flown around them without much issue.

I am sure the ones going to your standard home also have some magnetism - but - again - your more likely to crash due to actually hitting the wire than flying near it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav