How far does the GoPro 3+ Black transmit Wi-Fi ?

Reaction score
I can get around a thousand feet with my cheap Google Android. It's not real pretty but I can see which way I am going.

Here is a quote from an email I got from GoPro the other day: "With our GoPro App from your phone the range is only about 30 feet, give or take. We do not provide a boost device to boost the Wi-Fi signal. There would be no way for the signal to be boosted to 2-5 miles unfortunately." I didn't bother to respond.

How far can you go before the picture gets choppy?
Haven't I seen posts about folks boosting their GoPro Wi-Fi signal to great distances ???

Somehow I get it done when I don't know I can't do it. :idea:

He has an FC40 so 5.8GHz. Not an issue.
I'm not aware of people pushing the wifi range out with the GoPro. There's too much lag to be useful for FPV anyway.

By the looks of your pic you got some real good testing grounds :D

a Go Pro can be used as the camera or video feed for an fpv system. then your range is unlimited. would that interest you.

"Wedeliver"
do you have any experience in radio? I do.
Given the power and the frequency, each does have a limit.
Given the same power, as we go up in frequencies, the distance that power can be transmitted, decreases.
Read the gopro FAQ. I believe it states that the limit on the camera wifi is 600 feet.
But your welcome to prove me wrong and show me a video using only the camera wifi and flying one mile.

GoPro says "The Wi-Fi Remote can control cameras up to 600 feet away under optimal conditions." That's great but I am not concerned with the Remote as much as the video for FPV.

Here's what they say about the video "This depends on the smartphone/tablet device that is being used. Contact your device's manufacturer to find out information on Wi-Fi capability for your particular device."

In another area they offer this info "We use the 2.4 GHz ISM band for both Transmitting and Receiving which covers frequencies from 2.4 to 2.5 GHz. The output power is roughly 20-40 mW."

So, and I don't know diddly, can't I pick up that signal and boost it?

i use my gopro as the camera for a immersion fatshark fpv system. works great. i gave a much better response yesterday but i guess i did not post it properly. at thr moment i am on my tab nd copy and paste is tough. i will come back later with môre.

Suwaneeguy said:
"Wedeliver"
do you have any experience in radio? I do.
Given the power and the frequency, each does have a limit.
Given the same power, as we go up in frequencies, the distance that power can be transmitted, decreases.
Read the gopro FAQ. I believe it states that the limit on the camera wifi is 600 feet.
But your welcome to prove me wrong and show me a video using only the camera wifi and flying one mile.

yes i been around radios in all forms for over 40 years. thinling back i built an AM radio in about 1962 or so (kit). CB's with "funny channels)and 500 watt amplifier. RC cars, gasoline wired airplanes. thanks for asking. and I had been more clear you would have understood that with this method the gopro wifi is not being used. instead the gopro is the eye for the fpv system. Does that make sense, sometimes i am not clear.

Wedeliver said:
a Go Pro can be used as the camera or video feed for an fpv system. then your range is unlimited. would that interest you.

What FPV system has "unlimited" range? :roll: I certainly don't know of any.

I just want to know how far this setup works.

I would sure like to see what Wedeliver has to say. Maybe when the naysayers quit, he will say his peace.
I'm not starting ANY topics for the purpose of criticism or debate. I am just here to get smarter, on a friendly basis. Please :D

Thank You

HarryT said:
Wedeliver said:

ssshhh.. don't tell people they will all want one, Fly around the world. Battery recharges in flight, RC connection maintained through my own satellites. the hardest part was the miniature jet engine which is finally working well. (that's right, a battery operated jet engine, what are you gonna do about it?)

(I really gotta watch what I say, using the term "Unlimited" was probably not the correct as you could maintain an rc connection much further then any batteries would allow one to fly. So, my mind said no limits if you have really good antennas.

I am glad to see that ol' HarryT is standing watch, making sure I don't post in the wrong the place, or the wrong subject, or well petty much making me feel like my father did. "Why did you do that?" he would always say to me, when I had done something. I once posted a joke in the wrong forum and if it wasn't for good ol' Harry"s very observant eyes, well it is enough to say that I am now aware of the "off Topic" forum.. it is way down there. almost invisible.. (I love this place)
Thank you very much for pointing out my faults. I have many of them :) I am sure if you were to go through most of my posts you will see what an idiot I am. I have no idea why I even waist any persons time by making your read this garbage. Ok, enough about me.. back to the subject matter.)

Many small russian tanks!

(Well I have no idea how the above will be read by others, it is all meant in fun, and I really hope a smile or two (specialy you ol harry) comes from it, if it is wrong to post this, just let me know and I will remove it. No big deal..thanks for your time)

IflyinWY said:

I would sure like to see what Wedeliver has to say. Maybe when the naysayers quit, he will say his peace.
I'm not starting ANY topics for the purpose of criticism or debate. I am just here to get smarter, on a friendly basis. Please :D

Thank You

I am sorry for wasting your time. I had an FC40 and with the FC40camera I was getting over 1000' with a hawking wifi extender. Better antenna would help I am sure. I did not have a go pro at that time. since then I have gotten a few Phantom V1.x and with them it is easy to mount a really nice FPV system that does use the go pro. So, as has been correctly pointed out above, I am an idiot, and I will say just about anything to get attention. below is a long message that I wrote and then thought since it does not apply.. but anyway

IflyinWY said:

Thank You

I like you. I did a boo boo, yesterday I posted an answer to your question, and I thought I hit submit, but I guess not. so I will try again.

I called on the phone Digital Products Company http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/home.php
I spoke with Thomas. 916-985-7219
After discussion he hooked me up with a Fatshark Attitude FPV system This system came with a little camera that I velcro to the battery cover. If I want I can instead use my go pro as the FPV camera.

Now you have an FC40 so all the above does not work for you. I just got off the phone with Thomas and there is no reliable fpv system for the FC40 and that is probably what you were looking for and I wrongly made you think there might be. I am very sorry. How, I have heard of folks adding antennas to the FC40 camera..

OHH. maybe the gopro 4 will have somekind of great wifi..

Ok Wedeliver,

Now we're getting somewhere, really. What I have to do is abandon my thought of using the GoPro as my FPV setup and just use it to take pictures. That's fine.

I'll be getting something bigger which can carry whatever I need to do what I want soon enough. Hopefully it isn't a guy sitting at a telegraph machine though. I don't think he would survive some of my unintentional landings.

Feel free to PM me so we aren't interrupted. But... you guys are kinda cracking me up. :lol:

If you get a P2 there are lots of different FPV systems you can use. Such systems are what the majority of threads in this forum are discussing. Your limitation at this point is the FC40, which just can't carry the payload needed for decent FPV.

Thanks Harry

If we pretend I have up to 10 ounces to spare, what would I do to get FPV to 5 miles.

Please keep in mind I don't know anything about diddlie, so keep it simple.

I'm afraid 5 miles is unrealistic. A P2 with a decent video transmitter should comfortably get you 1km (just over half a mile), but more is pushing it. The limiting factor isn't the range of FPV - the Boscam Thunderbolt video transmitter I use should be good for 5km or so - but the control range of the actual aircraft. People have achieved 2-3km, but that's in ideal circumstances (eg flying over calm water).

When you basically need on the Phantom is:
1. A camera (GoPro). This is the where your video signal comes from.
2. An IOSD Mini, to overlay the video signal with telemetry (distance, height, speed, direction of "home", battery level, etc).
3. A video transmitter to transmit the signal. Something like the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter is popular.
4. A good cloverleaf antenna.

Then at your end of things you need a receiver with a good antenna to receive the transmitted video signal, and a monitor or goggles to display it.

Hope this is some help.

Key word Harry, Simple.

What's an IOSD Mini?

I'm still trying to figure out which way this thing is pointed when it's a quarter mile out.

IflyinWY said:
What's an IOSD Mini?

It's a "black box" which overlays flight telemetry on top of the FPV image.

I'm still trying to figure out which way this thing is pointed when it's a quarter mile out.

... and that's why you need the IOSD Mini. Among other things it displays a diamond-shaped marker on the screen telling you the location of the point that you took off from, so you can never get lost. Just follow the marker back home. This is what you see on your FPV screen:

mqdefault.jpg

In this case the display is showing that the aircraft is flying directly back to its take-off point (the diamond marker is in the middle of the screen), is 337m away from its home point, at an altitude of 112m, and is flying at 15.2 m/s.

HarryT said:
Wedeliver said:

Whatever the military uses. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl