How far do you fly

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am a new member and this is my first post, So I apologize upfront if this is the wrong section of the forum, or if this is a question already asked and answered over and over again.

I am trying to decide on a purchase of either the Phantom 4 or the Yuneec Typhoon H. Each has some really great features, but as weird as it sounds, I don't think either is perfect! (Well, at least not for me anyway).
If only there was some type of hybrid cross between the two of them.

Anyway, At this time I am leaning towards the Phantom 4 for one main reason...that is, its range. I love the idea that it can fly so far away in comparison to the Typhoon. However, my questions is... As owners already, on average, how far away from your take off point are you guys usually flying?

It kind of feels like if it turns out most people are barely going over a mile or mile and half away, and I am just getting the phantom because it goes further, then, maybe I would be better off getting the Typhoon that can go that far for the other features on it that I like... like the retractable landing gear and 360 degree gimbal and the 6 props and the RC with built in tablet.

I don't own either, and am not trying to put either unit down, am just trying to make sure before I hand over $1,200 - $1,500 that I wont end up with buyers remorse and wishing I had bought the other one.

Thanks in advance for any insight or ideas anyone can share.

Alan,
Southern California.

I find the more times I fly the same location the more I push the distance. Exploring a new location, 1 mile can be lots.
But there have been times when I wanted to get out to something that was distant from my access point. Then you want the range. But you still have to be in a place where the signal is not blocked by trees or structures.
I flew out to an island on the river near me and it was 14,000ft out.

If you buy something without the range you will be limiting what you can do.

Last edited:
Furthest I have flown was just under 22000 one way or 45000 round trip which it's the max distance due to battery. Once I mod my batteries I will be doing much longer distances.

I'm not going to tell someone what not to get, but just put forth my thoughts and feelings. To me, the Yuneec products seem to be like a top tier product you would find at a Toy R Us while the Phantom 4 seems more pro-sumer. I was really wanting to like the H, but I was turned off when I actually got to handle one. The idea is good but Yuneec just didn't deliver. It may be better in a generation or two of upgrading.

Don't forget there are other manufacturers out there like Autel Robotics with their X-Star Premium. Cheaper, well made and will reach out there pretty far. Just as the H may be better in a generation or two, the X-Star Premium may be where I'd be in the market.

Furthest I have flown was just under 22000 one way or 45000 round trip which it's the max distance due to battery. Once I mod my batteries I will be doing much longer distances.

What are you flying Zuzua... I've gone out 18,000ft one-way without doing anything but charging the batteries and putting vinyl stickers on my P3p. windsurfers still in the box...

I'm really curious how far are the X-Stars going.. I have heard good things about them. I know we have some owners in here... Where is the Great Pumpkin.. I think he has two X-Stars. Can X-Star flights be uploaded to Healthy Drones?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

, but I was turned off when I actually got to handle one. The idea is good but Yuneec just didn't deliver. It may be better in a generation or two of upgrading.

Do tell.. I am really debating pulling the trigger on one of these as my close quarters platform.. To me it is the nastiest looking bird on the market. 6 props is good.

Retractable landing gear, 360 cam are intriguing. The more I fly the more I think that really wouldn't help me though. It would be incredibly helpful with a second operator and...and a forward facing pilot camera though. Still I really like the H. What are the shortfalls you are talking about.

I will not consider the Autel for one reason. I already have one. The P3 series is just about the same bird.. Except the P3 has been around longer so there is significantly more 3rd party support for the P3.. The P4, P3 and X-Star all use exactly the same sensor.. So no matter what folks say I'm not swayed to say one does a significantly better job with pictures or video.. Now... If they deliver a significantly better camera at a later date... That my get me to spring.

What are you flying Zuzua... I've gone out 18,000ft one-way without doing anything but charging the batteries and putting vinyl stickers on my P3p. windsurfers still in the box...

I'm really curious how far are the X-Stars going.. I have heard good things about them. I know we have some owners in here... Where is the Great Pumpkin.. I think he has two X-Stars. Can X-Star flights be uploaded to Healthy Drones?

P3P, latest fw on Ac and RC, latest iOS air 2.
Unboosted itelite maxx panel. In los stock RC out lasts the batteries. But I fly in places where I don't have los hence the moded RC.
I do have windsurfers but they just don't give me the penetration in non los conditions.. Otherwise stock RC, in los always had outlasted battery.

When you fly out that far do you still have video link with the Phantom or just the satellite map view? I flew out about 1km and the video was cutting in and out but since then I realized that I didn't have the antennas positioned correctly, I just had them straight out. I am going to try again with them positioned correctly, trying to get to an abandoned lighthouse on an island.

When you fly out that far do you still have video link with the Phantom or just the satellite map view? I flew out about 1km and the video was cutting in and out but since then I realized that I didn't have the antennas positioned correctly, I just had them straight out. I am going to try again with them positioned correctly, trying to get to an abandoned lighthouse on an island.

I had full radio signal and video started dropping in and out but was still good enough, would have gone further but battery was low.

How far is the light house?

Try to use the radar to learn to have the RC aiming directly at the p3. Aim is very important specially when going out far or if you mod your antaennas.

Reactions: phxbird57
I had full radio signal and video started dropping in and out but was still good enough, would have gone further but battery was low.

How far is the light house?

Try to use the radar to learn to have the RC aiming directly at the p3. Aim is very important specially when going out far or if you mod your antaennas.

I am guessing less than 2 km.

Attachments

• 1467522379326.jpg
    1467522379326.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 334
Do tell.. I am really debating pulling the trigger on one of these as my close quarters platform.. To me it is the nastiest looking bird on the market. 6 props is good.

Retractable landing gear, 360 cam are intriguing. The more I fly the more I think that really wouldn't help me though. It would be incredibly helpful with a second operator and...and a forward facing pilot camera though. Still I really like the H. What are the shortfalls you are talking about.

I will not consider the Autel for one reason. I already have one. The P3 series is just about the same bird.. Except the P3 has been around longer so there is significantly more 3rd party support for the P3.. The P4, P3 and X-Star all use exactly the same sensor.. So no matter what folks say I'm not swayed to say one does a significantly better job with pictures or video.. Now... If they deliver a significantly better camera at a later date... That my get me to spring.

Just as I said, "thoughts and feelings" which translate into "it is my opinion..."

Anyway, how can anyone not be happy with 360 rotating camera, retractable landing gear, 6 motors, carbon fiber construction, etc. It sounds like a great package.....and it does but only if the company pumping them out makes it so. To me, it is a good attempt but it just didn't make the mark for me and others as it sits now.

If it intrigues you to the point of purchasing one, go ahead. Personal preference is the best in a free market. It should get drone manufacturers to release new and improved birds with each generation. The GoPro Karma may be a game changer or other companies waiting in the wings. I'm still hoping the future generations of the H and X-Star Premium up the game to sway me away from my P4. At this point, the P4 is the only thing out there I prefer.

Reactions: Zuzua
I am guessing less than 2 km.

Oh you shouldn't have any problems there at all, position your antaennas weel and aim well, remember wind and direction over the sea, I normally send my p3 up at the desired height and then switch to atti mode so I can see wind speed and direction at that height and then switch back to GPS mode. I wouldn't do your planned route if the outward journey is with the wind behind you,, as flying back into the wind may be too slow or may cause the limited motor output which will give you a low speed.
Normal calculation without wind is easy:
Your distance is around 1.8 miles, so let's say 2 miles. So that will be a 4 mile round trip and say at 30mph will take you 8 minutes plus time you want to spend there's filming. This should be within spec of your battery, just double check wind at your desired height first

Last edited:
I made it out to the lighthouse yesterday, just incredible!! I will try to get a video up, this will be my first one so may take me a while to figure things out.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great, I'm glad it all worked out.
Did you try the trick to find the wind speed and direction st your flight height?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great, I'm glad it all worked out.
Did you try the trick to find the wind speed and direction st your flight height?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
No, it was a very calm day. Took me about 3 min to get out there, started heading back with almost 9 min left. Made it back to land with 33% battery left. Can't wait to go back for some more!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

P3P, latest fw on Ac and RC, latest iOS air 2.
Unboosted itelite maxx panel. In los stock RC out lasts the batteries. But I fly in places where I don't have los hence the moded RC.
I do have windsurfers but they just don't give me the penetration in non los conditions.. Otherwise stock RC, in los always had outlasted battery.
I have found that using my Wind surfer , It' helps me. I've taken my P3a out to 18000 ft still had full control and video. I had over ride RTH at 16000 ft. First time out that far just did not want to go for a walk to get it. I landed it with 21% So I could see making 22000 ft with not problem. Only mod was the wind surfer. Also side note I've pushed my P2v+ out so far to 11901 ft. with wind surfer on the stock R/C antenna and mod one external antenna on the range extender and two external dipole on the wifi of the drone. It will be going farther the next time out.

Reactions: Zuzua

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1