HOW FAR CAN YOU FLY ? _______________________ 9.80 Miles ???

DBS

Reaction score
Bet THAT got your attention....

Ok sorry... this is not a long range antenna flight out and back... The Vision + doesn't have that kind of battery life...

This is just flying around our flight zone at Allapattah Flats in big patterns trying to keep my speed up and see how far it will go before the battery ran out...

I thought it would be cool for all the Flytrex users and Utility Pro data loggers out there to have a little friendly competition to see who can fly the farthest "total distance travelled" ... this would be more of a fun type deal with bragging rights going to the highest number runners... and it is more doable for a larger group who aren't so interested in modding their controllers and such with all kinds of crazy equipment for long range connectivity.

I did this flight a month ago and posted to Flytrex...
Screenshot_2014-09-16-14-33-18_zpsoncjxyjd.png

Finally got around to editing the video today while i was fussing around with Dashware and getting more familiar with editing gauges etc...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5kpzRD1N6M[/youtube]

Anybody up for the challenge?

I was thinking "rules"... but who cares i guess...

Phantom 2 Vision + only ... just to keep it to a weight class...
No following behind the Phantom in a car (not fair... not everyone has a place to do that safely)...
Video must be posted to claim the fame...
{That's all i can think of}

If people actually get interested in this thread i will turn it into an actual contest on October 1st... probly let it run till the end of November-ish... give folks a couple good months to make several attempts and keep a leaderboard going with results... there WILL be a prize ... however i won't post that untill we start figuring out if the pilots here are even interested in this nonsense :|
(prize will be valued at around $100 and will help you get more range from your P2V+)

Hope this turns out to be a fun thing we can do with eachother from all parts of the globe... chipping away at eachothers results and knocking eachother off the top spot untill it's clear that this **** thing just can't possibly go any farther... :ugeek:

startofarace.gif

LeaderBoard Stats:

#1) 9.80miles .... ToThePoint's huge first entry.......... posted here... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25733&start=130#p258622
#2) 9.55miles .... Isteigerwalt's ace in the hole........... posted here... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25733&start=120
#3) 8.95miles .... Wheat's second try with a Nuke...... posted here... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25733&start=90#p244315
#4) 7.77miles .... DBS Original thread starter post..... posted here... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25733#p237796
#5) 7.56miles .... nhoover's water shot take one........ posted here... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25733&start=130#p256278
#6) 7.50miles .... WyattEarp's 2nd try, a little better... posted here... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25733&start=100#p245275
#7) 7.40miles .... brorex's solid first attempt ............. posted here... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25733&start=70#p243173
#8) 6.20miles .... stile2112's "a bit convoluted".......... posted here... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25733&start=50#p240901
#9)
#10)

finish_line_waving.gif

Re: How far can YOU fly.... 7.77 Miles ???

Looks fun Chuck.

4 miles is about my limit and this was bringing it home with extra battery. Guess if I want to play I need to find some flat ground where zip back and forth and have the 2V+ close when the battery is ready to autoland.

rrmccabe said:
Looks fun Chuck.

4 miles is about my limit and this was bringing it home with extra battery. Guess if I want to play I need to find some flat ground where zip back and forth and have the 2V+ close when the battery is ready to autoland.

One of the good things about this little "challenge"

You don't need a huge area...
You don't need huge or expensive antennas...
No altitude involved so it stays out of FAA guidlines...

The top dog here will be the guy who figures out a large circle with minimum turns or anything that will slow the Phantom down...
The guy who has ATTI figured out without losing altitude...
The guy that chooses the perfect day with perfect wind conditions...
The Phantom with the Perfect set of props and killer battery life...

A lot of things can make or break this type of flight... but that's what makes it fun... 50% skill , 50% luck , and 50% equipment :ugeek:

wait... i think i screwed up the math on that one

I am good with the last 50% part.

Still struggling with the first 50

:roll:

I've been meaning to do some flights like this and try to get over 7 miles. I think 6 is the furthest I went. I once recommended this idea to Flytrex for one of their Challenges. Since they don't have one going now and you're offering a prize, you could do it through them potentially, but you would have to do it for all multirotors. I'll match your $100 and we could give some amount to each of their categories with over say 50 entrants. Doing it the month of October sounds good to me. What do you think?

I think I can fly 40 miles in 20 minutes.........by hovering in the back of my Tahoe while driving 80mph down the highway. :)

nhoover said:
I've been meaning to do some flights like this and try to get over 7 miles. I think 6 is the furthest I went. I once recommended this idea to Flytrex for one of their Challenges. Since they don't have one going now and you're offering a prize, you could do it through them potentially, but you would have to do it for all multirotors. I'll match your $100 and we could give some amount to each of their categories with over say 50 entrants. Doing it the month of October sounds good to me. What do you think?

I actually wanted to do this here on the forum for two reasons...

#1... I want to keep it P2V+ only ... so it is dead even for equipment (even the original Vision is a bit lighter so there would be an advantage)
#2 ... I didn't want to make it Flytrex specific... we have the Utility Pro data logger now and this would reduce the cost of entry significantly for a lot of users... also... it gives the "non modded" crowd a way in... this is one of those things anybody can do even if they don't want to pop the cover off of the Phantom to install the Flytrex.

But i dunno... that was my quick answer given the circumstances... and this isn't even a contest yet untill we hear back from more pilots here and see if folks are interested... i may change my answer as the days go by... but for now i think this would be better served as a forum fun thread for us P2V+ flyers to go out and have some good times kicking eachothers *** :D

Sounds like fun -
I have a P2V with a Chinese gimbal so that's +200grams to a regular P2V / P2V+.
You should allow any P2v. Would be interesting to know which model flies furthest and might have a few participants more.

flyNfrank said:
I think I can fly 40 miles in 20 minutes.........by hovering in the back of my Tahoe while driving 80mph down the highway. :)

Do the props have to be turning? Cause I think I can beat this by just strapping the drone on the roof. How much juice can those red and green lights use anyway? :)

rbhamilton said:
flyNfrank said:

Do the props have to be turning? Cause I think I can beat this by just strapping the drone on the roof. How much juice can those red and green lights use anyway? :)

1410900503_1000721-picsay_zpsxcrdzz4b.jpg

Luap said:
Sounds like fun -
You should allow any P2v. Would be interesting to know which model flies furthest and might have a few participants more.

I think this is a good idea...run it by class....see if the Plus is a step up or not..... :cool:

Luap said:
Sounds like fun -

I'm not opposed to bending the rules if it gets more participants in the game... :ugeek:

DBS said:
I'm not opposed to bending the rules

I would hope not. you are poster child for that :lol:

DBS said:
flyNfrank said:

Cheating :|

definitely cheating...

It's not cheating unless the rule book says it's cheating. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj