How far can I expect to go

Reaction score
Ok so Im a week into ownership of my PS3 and have learned a ton from reading on here and youtube and other places. Have obviously done some flights and did one where I went to 400 ft high. I have not much with distance yet. With all of the discussion of firmware issues and how things evidently are not as good now as they were previously with distance Im just wondering about how far I should expect to get. And,, when I do push my distance limit what can I expect with the RTH. Will I just get a prompt that I have lost contact and the drone will begin to come back to me?
Thanks

Distance all depends on where your flying. What's around you. Line of sight. Mod's or not. Practice, Practice, Practice. If you are using DJI Go then as it louses connection it will RTH. Make sure your home spot doesn't move. You will hear that it is returning to home. "Going Home".

If you in a counrty that allows fukll power to the transmitter then 1/2 mile, if not full power then 0.3 mile

if you put dbs mod antenna on then id expect at least 1 mile :)

Reactions: Rig
So typically I would want to set the return to home altitude so that my drone flys back at a height above tree top level correct? What do you guys typically set that at?

So typically I would want to set the return to home altitude so that my drone flys back at a height above tree top level correct? What do you guys typically set that at?

mines at 75 metres

Yes. Can't tell you that because trees here in Texas are not as tall like other places. Just make sure you go high. Not 400 feet!

Hmmmm, defends. What's the typical height of your trees?! I set mine at 50 metres, which is 164 feet, but it could be in your area you have very tall trees, so no, there's no average. Every area I fly has different conditions....

Thanks guys last question for now!! Does the drone's altitude stay relative to the terrain or to the original launch site? So if you have rolling hills will the drone on a return to home correct the altitude based on the rolling hills?

Thanks guys last question for now!! Does the drone's altitude stay relative to the terrain or to the original launch site? So if you have rolling hills will the drone on a return to home correct the altitude based on the rolling hills?
the original launch site. If a hill/tree is higher than you RTH altitude your drone will smack into it.

Thats one of the pitfalls that I think DJI should address, I fly in the mountains and often need to fly in negative altitude. It'd be nice if they could put the option of agl (above ground level) in their software.

Reactions: skellyrocker
Thats one of the pitfalls that I think DJI should address, I fly in the mountains and often need to fly in negative altitude. It'd be nice if they could put the option of agl (above ground level) in their software.
Yeah, you're right, they definitely need ground following radar.

You will begin to lose video feed before losing your controller connection. It can be disorienting trying to fly it back without video. Using "Course lock" mode helps me when I am flying at the limits of reception.
You will also get warnings telling you that your signal is weak. I have lost video feed a number of time but have yet to lose controller connection.

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app

are you prepared to pay for that? :)
Errrrr, no.... it's called sarcasm.... I also wonder how the RC signal will operate while flying at negative altitude, whilst the new software-based (?) ground following map radarational system is working. DJI? Take note!! ;)

I keep my RTH height at 60 meters. My max distance flying stock was about 800 meters over a fairly built up neighborhood with firmware 1.5.7. I have been on this version over a year now since I don't want to deal with troubles of upgrades.
I have a $35 antenna mod done and the farthest I have pushed it was 2000 meters over a lake before I started to see some stuttering in the feed, and my nerves gave out, still plenty of control strength though.

What are you using?
It's similar to this mod: www.phantompilots.com/threads/diy-antenna-modification-range-test-14-180-feet-with-dji-phantom-3-standard.103692/
I have 2 alfa panels for 2.4 ghz video and a generic 5.8 ghz panel for control replacing the alfa one in that mod.
The 3 panels and the 3 coax cables I do not believe cost me over $35.
File_000 (1).jpeg

with RTH remember that it is from the point you took off/ if there is a hill it doesn't there's a hill..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1