How easy is it to replace the shell on P2?

Reaction score
Hi all.

I had my first major crash on the bank holiday weekend, decided to shoot the blue bell woods near to where I live and it was all going so well until I climbed too high and hit a branch... it landed hard and bent one of the joints near the rotor arms.

I'm hope my FPV receiver is also ok it fell off on landing, it even had the batter fly out since it hit so hard.

I bought a replacement shell, about to dismantle it all and put it in there..

anything I should know before I do it? :?

IMO it's not hard at all. Just take your time and make sure you put the correct screws in the correct location. I would also suggest taking pictures of the connectors especially on the Naza so you put the connectors back in the original location. They could be easy plugged in wrong. Also make sure the GPS is facing the correct direction.

yea it was real easy.

takes little time and fiddly with the wires, but all is well and now back up and running. :)

How long did it take you was wondering if the new phantom shell was an old one or one of the new shells with the 3d round whole on the bottom?

Simon

Process takes 30-45 minutes. Only challenging if you have striped hex screws under the motors (I did). If it is the 3d phantom make sure you ask b4 ordering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Label your screw sets and note the orientation of the top shell when removing. Take your time. Do NOT use Loctite or, if you do, do not let any amount of Loctite to contact the shell at all. I found re-mounting the contacts for the battery the most awkward part.

adanac said:
Do NOT use Loctite or, if you do, do not let any amount of Loctite to contact the shell at all.

Yeah DON'T! The reason for my first shell replacement was because I thought it would be a good idea to use that stuff :shock: It doesn't mix at all well with the P2 shell :(

For the sake of a couple of quid, I bought a P2 Screw Replacement Pack which has every screw you need for the P2, I just replaced the lot with nice new shiney (pre applied loctite) screws.... but as adanac says, make a note of the screws you remove as the screwpack doesn't tell you which part they are for!

I'm now on my third shell after the 'loctite incident' and a crash.............

I've always used Loctite blue on helis and have used it on my Phantom. I know you're not supposed to get it on the plastic so I apply it with a toothpick to the screwhead. So far so good. Maybe I need to order a shell just in case :/

In my case, the damage from Loctite was quite apparent because I was messy with it. I suppose you could weaken some plastic somewhere you can't see if you use a little but it still makes contact with plastic.

I may have to replace the shell again in order to get a bottom half to accommodate the 3D.

jondrew said:
I've always used Loctite blue on helis and have used it on my Phantom. I know you're not supposed to get it on the plastic so I apply it with a toothpick to the screwhead. So far so good. Maybe I need to order a shell just in case :/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic