How does a windsurfer work?

Reaction score
I see these threads about windsurfers increasing distance, but how does it work?

Is it just a case of the signal been thrown of the antennas all in 1 direction, so giving a signal boost? Are there any downsides to using 1?

Imagine two bright bulbs at some distance at night. You'd see them but they wouldn't be very strong.

Now put each of those same bulbs inside car headlamps aimed right at you. Suddenly the light is blinding.

The downside is you have very little signal behind the reflectors. The other downside is you have to be a little more careful about aiming.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mako79
The best thing to know is they cost between $15-$25 and can increase the distance to 20,000+feet, or further in some cases. Marknmd is correct though about paying more attention to aiming the remote controller at the aircraft. Some user's pay a lot more money for less performance.

I got almost 2 and a quarter miles (12,000 feet) distance with no signal loss with my bone stock P3P using windsurfers.. They do work well

They turn the omni-directional antennas on the P3 into a more directional ~90 degree beam. Just face the general area of the P3 and they definitely help the signal at long ranges. Maybe double it. Mine are a little heavy and make the stock antennas tend to fall over, so I taped mine together at the top.

Mathematics - parabolic calculations. Think of satellite dishes. If you know the formulas, you can widen the beam (more coverage less range) or you narrow the beam (less coverage but farther range).

You guys are going to ruin it for the rest of us. There is absolutely no reason why someone would have to fly 2 1/4 miles with their drone. Shame on you. Use common sense.

Windsurfer focuses the signal.
See here.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You guys are going to ruin it for the rest of us. There is absolutely no reason why someone would have to fly 2 1/4 miles with their drone. Shame on you. Use common sense.

Um... Not everyone uses it for distances..
I use mine for increased signal reliability and penetration..

And you don't need a windsurfer to ruin it. The P3A/P can do amazeballs range without any mods.

Reactions: Alien Warrior
Do you notice a difference with lots of trees or obstructions or is it just good for direct line of sight?

Do you notice a difference with lots of trees or obstructions or is it just good for direct line of sight?
There's a little improvement, but not much. Leaves have lots of moisture, and water is a barrier to radio signals. When you go behind trees it's like going behind a sheet of water. Not much will help that scenario.

Reactions: Trackman1
Public perception, media attention and misshaps will potentially influence regulators with an ultimate restriction on our enjoyment of the hobby.

I suspect I understand your sentiment. Consider this proposition for a minute. You have a strong view that flying to the limit of LOS, perhaps beyond will result in ultimate removal of the freedoms currently enjoyed. So..... you fly at your local park or oval or around your neighbourhood. Your nice an close in, VLOS, however- i can almost gaurantee you are generating more attention and almost certainly negative perception in the process.

Anyone i know has, once comfortable with the performance of the phantom and their own skill, started regularily flying to the limits of LOS. Experience and familliarity allows the making of informed decisions with respect to risks and to be safe. Over water at sensible altitudes or open ground the worst outcome will be a lost aircraft.

You can be 100 feet from your home point and a danger to others or the reputation of the hobby.

Fly safe and have fun....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers