How do you sync an iPad Air 2 (wifi only) to iPhone 6?

Reaction score
I've seen mention of people doing it but can't find out how to do it. I'm guessing you use your phone as a hot spot? How do you set that up on the phone and the iPad? Thanks!

It's under settings - Personal Hotspot. If you dont see it then you probably have to pay your carrier to get it. Or jailbreak.

Thanks Ed. I went to Settings, cellular, personal hotspot and it tells me to call or go online to ATT to "enable personal hotspot". Couldn't find anywhere to enable it. I have unlimited data plan. I guess I have to call them tomorrow.

If you have an older plan and your unlimited data is grandfathered, they might want you to re-up on a new contract which gives you a "limited data allotment" and then they'll turn the hotspot on. Kinda giving you the rope to hang yourself. I'm not sure of ATTs plans but that's how it is with Verizon.

AT&T will not let you have an unlimited plan and personal hotspot. To activate PHS you will have to switch plans and lose your grandfathered unlimited plan. Other option is jail breaking.

Once you have hot spotting enabled on your iPhone with your carrier, you can actually turn it on directly from the Air 2 by selecting the iPhone Hotspot as the WiFi source. It then turns on the iPhone's Hotspot without needing to first activate it on the iPhone. Cool, eh? :cool: I keep my iPhone 6+ in my pocket whenever flying so I can use it in the field, as needed, to download the maps for the WiFi only iPad Air 2. Just activate the Hotspot from the iPad.

Once you have hot spotting enabled on your iPhone with your carrier, you can actually turn it on directly from the Air 2 by selecting the iPhone Hotspot as the WiFi source. It then turns on the iPhone's Hotspot without needing to first activate it on the iPhone. Cool, eh? :cool: I keep my iPhone 6+ in my pocket whenever flying so I can use it in the field, as needed, to download the maps for the WiFi only iPad Air 2. Just activate the Hotspot from the iPad.
That is what I do but when flying at a new location how do you get the map to update without waiting for it to happen by itself, sometimes taking several minutes? I would like to initiate the update somehow.

That is what I do but when flying at a new location how do you get the map to update without waiting for it to happen by itself, sometimes taking several minutes? I would like to initiate the update somehow.
Yes, I have noticed that, too, and found it frustrating! Not sure why it isn't instantaneous. Perhaps initiating the hotspot before opening the DJI GO app would help? DJI GO may check upon initializing, and only every 5 minutes thereafter? However, once it does connect to the maps, it stays connected, until you turn off the iPad Air display. Please report back if you find the solution to initiating the map update.:cool: Alternatively, use the iPhone 6+ as your display until they sync up, or be sure to preload all the needed maps to the iPad Air 2 at home first.

No more throttling. As of june-july. They stopped at least att says they have
They still won't let you enjoy LTE speeds, which is effectively throttling you relative to everyone else, but if slow unlimited is good enough, don't jeopardize it! The no hotspotting was the deal killer for me.

That HotSpot can kill ya! I visited friends in Arkansas with no Internet. Set up my HotSpot and within 4 days had used all of my 12GB data limit!!! They charged another $15 per 1GB after that!! I'll know better next time.

Why not keep unlimited and sell it and sign backup for a plan with hotspot. That sim will work in anything

That HotSpot can kill ya! I visited friends in Arkansas with no Internet. Set up my HotSpot and within 4 days had used all of my 12GB data limit!!! They charged another $15 per 1GB after that!! I'll know better next time.
Indeed. I believe that when you activate the HotSpot from the Air 2, instead of the iPhone, that it automatically turns itself off when you turn off the Air 2. Either that, or it just times out. I've noticed that, when I went back to the iPhone to turn it off, and it was already off.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj