How do you store your Lipo batteries?

Reaction score
I'm curious as to the best practices out there for storing Lipo batteries. I'd like to avoid burning the house down given the reputation these thing have.

Best regards,

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Leave them partially charged in a metal container. I use a rapid charger (Dynamite Passport Duo) that also has a storage mode which will charge them to the optimal storage level.

That's a nice charger.

I am thinking of buying one of those Lipo storage bags. Right now, my batteries are left charged, apart in an empty drawer.

Not best practices I'm pretty sure.

I use to charge them on the concrete patio here at the condo.

Tough to buy chargers here in Canada right now due to some fires that the chargers caused. You can only buy chargers that don't plug into a wall. Then you have to buy something to connect it to.

D

CameraGuy said:
That's a nice charger.

I am thinking of buying one of those Lipo storage bags. Right now, my batteries are left charged, apart in an empty drawer.

Not best practices I'm pretty sure.

I use to charge them on the concrete patio here at the condo.

Tough to buy chargers here in Canada right now due to some fires that the chargers caused. You can only buy chargers that don't plug into a wall. Then you have to buy something to connect it to.

D

Darren, I just picked up a Hitec X4AC multi charger from A&J hobbies @ Hwy 7 + Jane.

I guess it's a local thing.

The local hobby shop won't sell the Lipos because of someone having a fire. Maybe it was their customer who had the fire, so they stopped selling.

I assumed it was Canada wide.

I should have purchased one when I was in Toronto last week.

Oh well.

D

p.s. - If you look at the horizon hobby web link provided above, it actually says it has a Canadian Recal. I suspect what ever is on store shelves should have been removed.

if I know I am not going to fly in a couple days, I always use the storage mode on my charger...which charges them to about 50% (or discharges if they are over 50%).

I then put them in a lip bag, and pop them in my fridge.

For storage (more than 2 weeks) I leave LiPos at 50% and ALWAYS in a LipO safe bag and inside a plant ceramic base, outside the house.
For wainting time to flight... (Less than i.e. 10 days), i leave them full charged in the same locations...

In addition, never use a LiPo after big crash or with any external visible damage. Final Tip: check the cells for being less than 0.1 v differences between them. If any. Has a higher difference value... Re-check because may be going bad and that is not safe for charging.

A good cells level after flight may be i.e. 3.21, 3.25, 3.19 As you can see, no more than 0.1v in difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers