How do you see status LED in FPV

Reaction score
Hi guys -

my phantom arrives tomorrow - i'm excited and scared - so many scary stories on these forums... big investment - got the fatshark goggles coming too.

Question is this - how do you see the LED or know the status of yoru craft while in FPV? anyone have any solutions for this?

thanks in advance!

The only solution that I am aware of is to also fit an OSD module that will overlay data onto the FPV signal, showing, amongst other things, the battery voltages. Look for BOSD or search for OSD and you'll find plenty of references.

Some are talking about a fibre optic cable to 'channel' the Phantom's status led to the on board camera, but it's still largely discussion, I think.

Fly back and take a look thats what I do, I use the gopro for my video feed and so this has a timer from when I press record. I take note of when I take off time wise then I know how long I have been I the air. I always take off and check the led as its going away and if there is a red flash I dont fly away in fpv. Time wise you should get a good idea of time remaining and I make sure about 2/3 of the way through my max time I come back and make sure its not flashing red yet, then I fly closer to me and check the led quite a bit and if its flashing red come in to land. I will get OSD at some point but my method has worked ok for me and I rarely fly GPS mode only when its very windy and I dont FPV when its blowing too hard, as I use a screen not goggles it makes it much easier to transition from FPV to LOS. If your flying a long way away make sure there are no reds as you take off and do all the distant stuff in the first half of your total flight just in case you run in to trouble and need to come back.

Search for E-OSD at hobbyking.com. It's a small logic board (1.5inches by 0.5 inches) that outputs the battery voltage onto your FPV monitor/goggles. IIRC, it cost around $10-15.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=29798

When I first started flying FPV, I was so nervous about landing so I bought the mini OSD above in hope to see the altitude display to help me but no such luck because the refresh rate was too slow and the reading was not accurate enough. :(
However it also displays 2 voltage which I am now in love with and do not care for the rest of the display that is useless for me at least for now.
One member installed the fiber optic so that you can see the status led near the corner of the screen BUT you must use the separated camera from the one that you're filming. ;)

Here is fiber solution, comming from rear led:

FiberOSD-Warning-Led.jpg

You need around 30-35 cmts of cheap optic fiber. 1 extreme goes inside LEDs rear cover (make a small hole if you install it externally) or open the phantom's hull and put it inside rear LED cover with some glue. The other extreme goes through phantom and set it through the landing gear hole. Secure the fiber extreme in front of 2 or 3 cmts from your FPV camera's lens, so you can watch the green, yellow or red flashing on your FPV goggles or LCD monitor.
I bought this fiber because it is stronger and its diameter is great for seeing it in daylight,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261232472988&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Here is a video for showing this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dcFRnzupE4[/youtube]

Rear-Fiber.jpg

jumanoc said:
You need around 30-35 cmts of cheap optic fiber. 1 extreme goes inside LEDs rear cover (make a small hole if you install it externally) or open the phantom's hull and put it inside rear LED cover with some glue. The other extreme goes through phantom and set it through the landing gear hole. Secure the fiber extreme in front of 2 or 3 cmts from your FPV camera's lens, so you can watch the green, yellow or red flashing on your FPV goggles or LCD monitor.
I bought this fiber because it is stronger and its diameter is great for seeing it in daylight,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261232472988&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Here is a video for showing this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dcFRnzupE4[/youtube]
Brilliant thanks for the info :D it looks the best way of keeping a eye on it , looks good through the fpv too

Thanks again :D

I carried out this simple mod today only with 1mm diameter , as I'm using a mini cam for fpv an go pro for video/pics .

Ran the fibre optic through the phantom body , but until my fpv cam gets delivered I can't use it or fpv yet .

None the less it will give piece of mind when it's up an running :)

I bought a Quanum Telemetry setup from HobbyKing, and I've been using it for a few weeks now. The Quanum telemetry system gives real-time and accurate voltage, current, mAh and temperature display plus low voltage warnings via a robust 2.4Ghz DSSS connection.
The receiver panel is a large 132x64 LCD and attaches directly to your existing radio's antenna for convenient at-a-glance in-flight status checks.
The Quanum Telemetry system will also warn you when your battery pack is approaching 3.2v per cell with a variable audio tone.
And because it's 2.4Ghz DSSS it won't interfere with your existing system, no matter what channel you're on!
The Quanum Telemetry system transmits a narrow, lightweight signal 4 times a second and uses DSSS technology to ensure no conflicts with other systems close by. Included is an inbuilt 450mAh Li-ion power source and a convenient in-car and PC USB charge jack!
For $50 you can go wrong!

Slugger

slugger said:
I bought a Quanum Telemetry setup from HobbyKing, and I've been using it for a few weeks now. The Quanum telemetry system gives real-time and accurate voltage, current, mAh and temperature display plus low voltage warnings via a robust 2.4Ghz DSSS connection.
The receiver panel is a large 132x64 LCD and attaches directly to your existing radio's antenna for convenient at-a-glance in-flight status checks.
The Quanum Telemetry system will also warn you when your battery pack is approaching 3.2v per cell with a variable audio tone.
And because it's 2.4Ghz DSSS it won't interfere with your existing system, no matter what channel you're on!
The Quanum Telemetry system transmits a narrow, lightweight signal 4 times a second and uses DSSS technology to ensure no conflicts with other systems close by. Included is an inbuilt 450mAh Li-ion power source and a convenient in-car and PC USB charge jack!
For $50 you can go wrong!

Slugger

Yes, I use it too and works great but it may not be the best choice for FPV goggles use, in particular when you also use the ear piece to monitor the beep from the on board monitor like the one below because it won't be convenient to remove the goggles to look at the LCD. For FPV monitor it will be perfect.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Alarm.html

Well today my small FPV cam was delivered :D

Spent a hour messing an moving the fibre optic so I could see it , finally done though an it works ..at a cost of £2.50 an no weight ,hoping its not so windy tomorrow so I can test it out an my first flight with FPV goggles :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic