How do you provide 12V power?

Reaction score
I've been reading everything I can find about using the Ground Station and it seems that a 12 volt power source is recommended. How is that power provided?

GearLoose said:
I've been reading everything I can find about using the Ground Station and it seems that a 12 volt power source is recommended. How is that power provided?

You can either wire up a standard lipo or use a battery bank with a 12V output. The one I have (Intocircuit 26000mAh) has options for 12, 16 and 19V. I guess I could use 19V since the GS is rated for up to 25V but I always leave it at 12V and have no issues.

I don't yet have the GS in hand so please tell me what kind of connector you are using for the 12V power so I can be sure to have one ready. I'll probably use one or more of my less trustworthy flight batteries.

I appreciate it!

mcmax20 said:
GearLoose said:

You can either wire up a standard lipo or use a battery bank with a 12V output. The one I have (Intocircuit 26000mAh) has options for 12, 16 and 19V. I guess I could use 19V since the GS is rated for up to 25V but I always leave it at 12V and have no issues.

GearLoose said:
I don't yet have the GS in hand so please tell me what kind of connector you are using for the 12V power so I can be sure to have one ready. I'll probably use one or more of my less trustworthy flight batteries.

I appreciate it!

mcmax20 said:
GearLoose said:

The GS power cable is bare wire ends - you put on what you want. Most folks are using XT60 connectors so you can use standard 3S lipo

EMCSQUAR said:
The GS power cable is bare wire ends - you put on what you want. Most folks are using XT60 connectors so you can use standard 3S lipo

+1

If soldering a connector on is not something you're equipped to do, it's also possible to buy pre-wired connectors to use to power it with a lipo.

Exactly what I need to know -- I'm running low on XT60's so I'll order some. Thanks for the quick replies!

OI Photography said:
EMCSQUAR said:

+1

If soldering a connector on is not something you're equipped to do, it's also possible to buy pre-wired connectors to use to power it with a lipo.

I bet you could run it off the dc out on the Black Pearl (if you have one) as well. Simple male dc to male dc cable.

- just tried it and it works! I'm going to mount my GS ground end on the BP and just use my battery bank to charge it up between flights. That's awesome! Any other monitor with a dc out should work too.

When using the GS with my IPad I use either a 3s lipo or a simple USB battery pack, the sort you use to charge mobile phones and such when on the move. When using my notebook the GS can be powered from the USB port, a cable is included with the GS to do this.

One thing that is disappointing about the GS is the very limited range of the Bluetooth adaptor that is provided, more than 15ft away and the connection fails. This probably sounds a little bit of knit picking but it's surprising how far one wanders about. To that end I now Velcro the GS ground component with the BT adaptor to the rear of my iPad when there's no where to sit.

Regards

Nidge

I like your idea of using a 3s lipo as I have a couple that can't be trusted in the Phantom. How about sun glare on the iPad screen? I'm thinking of buying a $40 beach shelter to sit under, as it would also reduce glare when flying FPV. I need to sit down while flying FPV or I'll fall over, so I have an ultralight backpacking chair that fits easily in my daypack. Not cheap but it is quite convenient (REI store).

Nidge said:
When using the GS with my IPad I use either a 3s lipo or a simple USB battery pack, the sort you use to charge mobile phones and such when on the move. When using my notebook the GS can be powered from the USB port, a cable is included with the GS to do this.

One thing that is disappointing about the GS is the very limited range of the Bluetooth adaptor that is provided, more than 15ft away and the connection fails. This probably sounds a little bit of knit picking but it's surprising how far one wanders about. To that end I now Velcro the GS ground component with the BT adaptor to the rear of my iPad when there's no where to sit.

Regards

Nidge

GearLoose said:
I like your idea of using a 3s lipo as I have a couple that can't be trusted in the Phantom. How about sun glare on the iPad screen? I'm thinking of buying a $40 beach shelter to sit under, as it would also reduce glare when flying FPV. I need to sit down while flying FPV or I'll fall over, so I have an ultralight backpacking chair that fits easily in my daypack. Not cheap but it is quite convenient (REI store).

Nidge said:

Regards

Nidge

Yes on very bright days the screen is difficult to see, I'm using the iPad Air, but I use part of the flip case as a shield

Regards

Nidge

I'm just about to get my Ground station too and was wondering about the 12 volt thing vs the portable battery packs you use for laptops and mobiles. Are the mobile battery packs up to the job? Herd some stories about losing link because of distance because of not using 12volt? Just thought i'd ask before i buy one.

Anyone?:)

iPad using Tapatalk

Marconi Union said:

I plan on powering my GS with a spare Phantom flight battery, if only to avoid having to purchase (and recharge) yet another form of battery such as the USB pack.

Marconi Union said:
I'm just about to get my Ground station too and was wondering about the 12 volt thing vs the portable battery packs you use for laptops and mobiles. Are the mobile battery packs up to the job? Herd some stories about losing link because of distance because of not using 12volt? Just thought i'd ask before i buy one.

I have a USB battery pack and I've confirmed it will power up the ground end and let it link with the air end, but I haven't tested the range using that setup.

Let us know your distance results:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nidge said:
Regards

Nidge

I was very curious about that cable, especially the double USB connection for extra power. But, isn't USB only 5v? The Data Link spec calls for 9.9v. Pretty confusing.

RichWCarr said:
Nidge said:
Regards

Nidge

I was very curious about that cable, especially the double USB connection for extra power. But, isn't USB only 5v? The Data Link spec calls for 9.9v. Pretty confusing.

If using a 3s/4s battery the voltage is stepped down internally to 5Volt by a small switched mode CCT. If you power it via the USB port the smpsu is bypassed as USB supply is 5Volt. Current draw is only a few hundred milliamperes at most.

Regards

Nidge.

Im running the "GS" from a tiny 450mah 3cell lipo and runs for ages, I have 5 flight packs and it runs all 5 missions just fine...... you can just see it bottom right .... ;) running the GS base unit. PS also in the case is my mobile providing the Internet link as well for my GS so can see the images that are not cached when i'm out!

Attachments

• WP_20140823_005 (1).jpg
    WP_20140823_005 (1).jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 428

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik