How do you land?

Not good in dust or dirt - debris can get into the motors no matter how smooth the landing. Unless you always land on very short grass or concrete!
I don't land in dirt or debris. Usually short grass, sometimes asphalt parking lot.

Usually, I am taking off from a grass field (or as in today's case, on top of 8 inches of snow) so I just land it each time. I am probably too clumsy to catch it with my hand and I'd probably somehow get the drone flipped over

I always hand catch unless I am just goofing around in the garage because the weather is bad. I think it is fine either way so long as you just do the left stick down.

Hand catch if I am not landing on a pad. Even then I still auto land. The two times I have scratched my Quad - both manual landings on slightly uneven ground.

Hand catch and take off on a pad.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Landing is about concentration and focus. Taking off is easy which is why so many 'drone pilots' screw up the landing (which is more technical) with their enthusiasm for going flying over-ruling their understanding of the whole flight plan. Hand catching is much easier than a touch down on the ground - but you should master landing on the ground first, before getting your face close to fast-moving props.

if you have 2mins take a look at this link

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What happened to the One hand for yourself and one hand for the ship rule? ... :D

I must be a tuff ole guy. I have over 400 take off and landings and I always land either on sidewalk, in my back yard or on a board in the grass, and I even get frisky once in a while and land on the back deck. Never hand catch unless at the beach. Have only tipped over twice and that was over a year ago. Love making the hard landings softly! Do the same for taking off always from ground except at beach. Don't want sand in the motors. Like taking off from from parking lots, sidewalks, golf courses or any fairly flat surface. Hu Raw!

Hello. I have owned my P3A since August 8, 2015. I have 47 flights and 5-1/2 hours of flight time. On only my 2nd flight, I tried to hand catch, but I made a slight mistake and ended up with 7 stitches in my fore arm. Since then, I've been too gun shy to hand catch, even though it would be very helpful a lot of the time.

Do not take for granted the damage the props can do. I love my P3A.

How do I land? Props side up, every time.

I don't really think I catch it.. It's more of a snatch. I hover let it sit. Walk up with wind against my back and grab it. Shut down with left stick

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

I finally gave auto takeoff a try on flight number 47....some guys were way into it. I was very impressed....made me think about thing auto land...except I land on a small board to make gimbal/camera is safe...I could see if being a tiny bit off and missing one skid causing tip over....do the props stop automatically when you do auto land?

Hand catch is the best.

Hover it around head height in front of you. Approach it and grab one of the legs with your whole palm. Hold down throttle for a few seconds and wait for engines to cut off.

Always landing it (but I'm new to drones) even on rough surfaces. Have not even considered hand catching it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.