Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Advanced How do you increase distance

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Jacques Sauvé, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Jacques Sauvé

The distance setting indicates 15-500 m. How can it be increased to more ??
    Jacques

2. bbfpv

If you're talking about height, 500m is max. if you're talking about distance, leave the field blank and the max distance is limited to the duration of the battery or control signal, whichever fails first.

Jacques Sauvé likes this.
  3. Jacques Sauvé

Thanks for the prompt response. I will try it out.
    Regards
    Jacques

4. J.James

Depending on what version of the app you have will severely effect distance to.. If you have the latest version of the app or the one just before that. your max range will be about 1/2 of what it used to be able to go..

Jacques Sauvé likes this.
  5. Jacques Sauvé

Thank you for the reply. I will test it out.
    Jacques

6. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

No .. There are are many factors that can affect your distance but the app isn't one of them.
    I've gone just as far and further with the latest version.
    Here's an example ... Was at only 15-20 metres height for most of the flight, you can see how far out it went.
    [​IMG]

jcknows0 and bobmyers like this.
  7. J.James

I Know there can be other stuff that can also effect range. But the last 2 versions of the app they now took out a lot of the channels. which can and does cut down range at least were Im at. Being that channels 13-20 Which are all thats aval dont get as strong and clean of a signal as the ones below ch 13 did..

When i test out distance I usually tend to fly 1 of 2 routes.. On if directly north of my house in a straight line at about 300-400 feet I was always able to get almost 2 miles.. Now i cant even but a mile. Ive if I go up higher only gets me to about as far.. Then if I fly directly east and follow the very same flight path that before i was able to get about 3 miles at 400-700 feet high. Now I cant get past 1 mile. and the app is the only thing thats changed and im still on the same firmware as I have had. and nothing else has changed. and lots of others have had the same problem. now that dji took the good clear channels out in the last app.

8. Jacques Sauvé

ied

9. Jacques Sauvé

I tried leaving the horizontal setting blank instead of the preprogrammed 500meter max, but it does not work. The app resets it at 500 m automatically.
    Jacques
    I

10. Dronebow

I admire you guys that fly out over water like that. Balls of steel... If I had water around I might, and I say "might" very cautiously, go out where I could still see it but to take it past the line of sight knowing that if that bird came down it's history.... that takes balls of steel. :)

Will T likes this.
  11. Ed209

My logic is even over land it's history! If you're flying it at any height above 100ft I'm sure it's a total loss or at least might as well buy a new one. Losing at sea you don't recover the pieces (maybe) and you lose the sd card.

12. bbfpv

But the photo ops flying over water are so much better. Took this about 1.2 miles off shore.
    [​IMG]

Will T, jcknows0, Meta4 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Dronebow

Nice... Were you in the boat or you flew out to the boat?

14. bbfpv

Flew out. Was chasing a yacht that turned out to be moving much faster than I thought it was, so I turned around. Got this shot on the way back.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

15. jephoto

I've a new P3 - 2 weeks- and my buddy has one he's had for a few months- as soon as the came out. Both of us flew ours out some 2200' over the river in Detroit no problem.
    2 days ago in Chicago I was out on the point by out Planetarium on Lake Michigan and went some 2500' away & near 400' up to get a good view of the city from the south looking North. Again no problems. Line of sight & not much Wifi interference make the difference.
    Not sure I want to take it a mile or more away though. How long does it take to get out & return from a mile or more away??

16. jephoto

Also how do you guys pull up the maps of your flight???

17. Ed209

Going 35mph it takes about 1m42s. Coming back was a little longer since I was topping out at 27-28mph. Still had plenty of juice left. I look at the flight data in the DJI app. But have also experimented with http://flylitchi.com/logs and https://www.flightreplay.com/. You have to pull the log files off your iPad through itunes though.

18. jcknows0

15-20 meters over the water for 2 miles each way. That's awful brave as I'm sure some small birds flying low could have turned it into sea toast.

19. Tyrellp3a

I bought a booster of eBay for 50 bucks, it directs the signal way better!

20. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

In the DJI Pilot app, go to the user centre and click on the paper plane icon in the centre to bring up your flight logs.
    Select one of the flight records and it shows you the flight on the map (as long as your have an internet connection where you do this.
    [​IMG]