How do you customize transmitter (controller) configuration?

Reaction score
Did my first flight today w/ my FC40 and I quickly noticed that the sticks are reversed from my other AR.Drone quad. Is there any way for me to adjust the transmitter so that the right stick controls up/down and the left stick controls left/right??? I assume this has to be in the software settings, but I can't find it. I have been flying that parrot drone for like a year now and it would suck to have to relearn everything.

Thanks

Re: How do you customize transmitter (controller) configurat

It can be done easily if your remote has the mini USB visible at the bottom, if not you will have to gently take the remote apart (being careful not to damage the aerial cable) find the USB plug connect it to your laptop and using the assistant change the mode of the transmitter.

You are correct! Sucks cuz I really don't feel like taking the transmitter apart, might just have to relearn :evil:

So I pulled my transmitter apart and switched from mode 2 (where it was my default) to mode 1. Now the throttle up and down is on the right like I like it, but everything else is all out of wack. I just wanted the exact opposite of mode 2 (swapping sticks), but instead it changes a lot of stuff around kind of difficult to explain. I think i may go back to mode 2.

What mode are you guys flying in???

notsojazzyjeff said:
So I pulled my transmitter apart and switched from mode 2 (where it was my default) to mode 1. Now the throttle up and down is on the right like I like it, but everything else is all out of wack. I just wanted the exact opposite of mode 2 (swapping sticks), but instead it changes a lot of stuff around kind of difficult to explain. I think i may go back to mode 2.

Can you elaborate more, there's only 2 sticks and it should just swap them round? You can check what each stick is doing with the assistant when connected to you're phantom and if it appears to be wrong there is an option there to reverse what the stick input does.

You can normally get it to work, but you need to run the assistant software for the phantom and in the joystick calibration, and you have to press the Reverse buttons for the channels that are back to front.

You will also need to recalibrate

Also in the RC assistant you may need to select the other Mode to the one you currently have selected.

Madwak said:
notsojazzyjeff said:

Can you elaborate more, there's only 2 sticks and it should just swap them round? You can check what each stick is doing with the assistant when connected to you're phantom and if it appears to be wrong there is an option there to reverse what the stick input does.

I think this graphic explains it best:

aquqatuz.jpg

See how mode 2 isn't the exact swap of mode 1? On mode 2 the throttle and tail rotor are together on the left and in mode 1 the throttle is paired with "left/right cyclic" on the right. I'm looking for an exact swap of mode 2 and according to this diagram that is actually called mode 3, but I don't think there is an easy way to enable mode 3 on the phantom without rewiring your controller or buying another one. I think I might just need learn mode 2 because mode 1 is the pits... :|

Looking at your diagram, I fly using mode 4

I had to swap the joystick connectors inside the Dji RC Tx

I also had to reverse some of the channels in the phantom assistant software.

Btw. I'm now using a Futaba Tx rather than the DJI one, as the my Tx always had an intermittent fault which was unrelated to this stuff.

I'm not sure if anyone has managed to get mode 3 to work, just by swapping plugs etc inside the RC unit.

If you have a soldering iron etc, you could always just cut the wires from each individual joystick direction and swap them over as appropriate, and resolder tec

RogerClark said:
Looking at your diagram, I fly using mode 4

I had to swap the joystick connectors inside the Dji RC Tx

I also had to reverse some of the channels in the phantom assistant software.

Btw. I'm now using a Futaba Tx rather than the DJI one, as the my Tx always had an intermittent fault which was unrelated to this stuff.

I'm not sure if anyone has managed to get mode 3 to work, just by swapping plugs etc inside the RC unit.

If you have a soldering iron etc, you could always just cut the wires from each individual joystick direction and swap them over as appropriate, and resolder tec

I actually think I'm just going to switch it back to mode 2 and relearn. Random fact: The AR Drone starts off in mode 3 (even though US standard is mode 2). That was my first quad, so thats how I learned. I would rather relearn the right way so it doesn't get more difficult down the having to customize every MR that buy.

That's interesting. I've been (slowly) learning to fly my phantom and keep getting the distinct feeling that the controls are not intuitive. I find my self regularly stopping and thinking about which stick does what. And getting the out of control panic feeling too often.

I play a lot of Xbox (Titanfall, Battlfield4, Ghosts, etc). and I see that mode 3 maps more intuitively into what I think should be happening based on the standard joystick layouts in the games. Left stick moves you forward/backward, left/right and right stick moves you up and down, rotate left/right (look left/right, up/down). Although I do play with look inverted, for some reason I don't think I'd invert the up/down.

Has anyone else flown this way? I've already had my Tx apart a few times and it would appear that it would be easy to swap the four jumper positions.

coming from an AR Drone, i felt the drone controls were natural.

I have a small hubsan quad and an FC40 and my head just wont snap into the rhythm. I do stop for a second to rethink which jotstick to use sometimes.

Especially in hairy situations where you get turned around or a gust of wind makes it go a bit too close to a pole!

notsojazzyjeff said:
Madwak said:
notsojazzyjeff said:

I think this graphic explains it best:

aquqatuz.jpg

See how mode 2 isn't the exact swap of mode 1? On mode 2 the throttle and tail rotor are together on the left and in mode 1 the throttle is paired with "left/right cyclic" on the right. I'm looking for an exact swap of mode 2 and according to this diagram that is actually called mode 3, but I don't think there is an easy way to enable mode 3 on the phantom without rewiring your controller or buying another one. I think I might just need learn mode 2 because mode 1 is the pits... :|

I would guess that all you have to do to get from mode2 to mode3 is open up the remote find the set of wires coming from each joystick, unplug them and swap them around seems simple enough?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic