How do you calibrate the GPS?

Reaction score
Literally overnight my Phantom went from a flying machine to a wild animal. Fortunately, it is still in one piece but unflyable. I connected it to the computer and tried to find some wild parameter but couldn't figure out what was wrong. I got some messages about updating to v3.16 which I did as well as downloading and installing the current default parameters from DJI. Now I get the error message shown in the attached photo. My question is this. Are they referring to the procedure outlined in the video using a magnet around the compass or is there something else required to calibrate the GPS???
In the flight mode I never gt passed the red/yellow blinking light.
Any ideas

Attachments

• naza.JPG
    naza.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 783
Good news. II answered my own question. I tried the procedure as outlined on the DJI video regarding the compass calibration. That solved the problem and I now have my flying machine back in business. It took two tries to get the thing back to where the flashing red/yellow light disappeared and the calibration procedure worked. Something I forgot to mention in the original post was that the 8-10 switch cycles of the gps/atti switch would not bring up the calibration mode. Now that feature worked as advertised and the calibration worked the first time. I was even amazed that the gps found enough satellites to result in the blinking green led and this was indoors. I then proceeded to the back yard and it flew like it did the first time.
I am using the Assistant software v2.16 and the Naza firmware v3.16 that I downloaded from DJI.
Just be sure you know where you put the magnet once you are done with it. I put it as far away as I could get it from the work table.
KentM

I have added a 30sec before and after video here
http://youtu.be/OPM99hTxFno

I am happy for you and thanks for sharing. I read the post because of the title which say .....calibrate the GPS, but later I realize that you mean to say calibrate the compass. I had to do that myself too but luckily only one time and always work since.

i too I'm having this problem, I have hooked it up to the software and never get past the values of 300 or 400s in the mode. I have tried the calibration mode many, many times as outlined in the video but still get nothing but red yellow red yellow. I purchased this unit to take on vacation and now I have a unit that wont even start the motors. I am currently on that vacation without access to a PC, can anyone give me a tip on how to calibrate the compass? Note, this unit is right out of the box, never flown. :(
Thanks!

I think there is some confusion here, I've had this message before about the GPS needing calibration and it had nothing to do with the Compass at all. The GPS-needs-Calibrating message pops up in the Nazza assistant but it's not necessarily related to the screen you're on, so the screen grab by the OP is a little misleading and you guys have locked onto it being a compass issue.

I had the GPS Calibration message a few times but I think it's purely a Chinglish way of saying the GPS receiver has found no satellites at all so is going into a GPS Cold start mode where it has to figure out where on the planet it is as opposed to a warm start where it starts the search at the previous position. When I get the message I ignore it totally, it's never affected any flight and I use GPS mode every flight at least briefly.

I'm rolling without access to software, when I power up phantom, I get the dreaded red,yellow. Now matter how many times I try to calibrate as in the video, still same results. ****, I'd love to fly this thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.