How do you backpack / overnight hike with your Phantom?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a backpack, or a way to transport the P4, for long day and maybe even overnight hikes. A pack or method of packing that does everything EXCEPT for being carry-on specific. It needs to have room for the P4, RC, 3+ Batteries, DSLR + Lens, Water Bottle or Camelback, Snacks, Tripod and Rain Cover. I understand this would make the pack heavy.

What about for overnight hikes? How do you transport your Phantom and photo gear?

Tech stuff on the manfrotto d1 bag, food stuff on the wife's 40l backpack

Procraft

Reactions: bigstalks
Me too and love it. Might buy the new from polar pro for local filming my phantom 3 . To me this adjustable packs are the way to go

Attachments

• 1463074594199.jpg
    1463074594199.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 673
I'm looking for a backpack, or a way to transport the P4, for long day and maybe even overnight hikes. A pack or method of packing that does everything EXCEPT for being carry-on specific. It needs to have room for the P4, RC, 3+ Batteries, DSLR + Lens, Water Bottle or Camelback, Snacks, Tripod and Rain Cover. I understand this would make the pack heavy.

What about for overnight hikes? How do you transport your Phantom and photo gear?
I was looking for the same thing in this thread - REI Hiking Backpack fits Phantom 4

I've actually found that I can strap it to my 36L pack and put some foam on the part that sticks out. My 46L pack with the 1 arm sticking out doesn't really have the weight distributed right. I'll take more pics and share them when I get my pack up. I'm going to hike some mountains in CO in a few weeks.

Got this from Amazon for $55. It fits Phantom 4 foam case with room for other stuff. Also it fits in Airlines overhead storage. Sandpiper of California Bugout Backpack.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 495
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 532
Reactions: Gary Vaughan
I use the Manfrotto D1. I think it's a great pack at $199. This guy does a solid review...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There is also a customized 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 pack for the P4. I may sell the D1 and get it. It is setup to take a hydration bladder and has a good amount of storage. Being LE/Mil grade, it has tons of molle to attached just about any add-on you can think of so you have near limitless expansion.

5.11 Rush 72 Military Grade DJI Phantom 4 Backpack (Black)

Last edited:
Reactions: Santiego
The roomiest backpack I've found is the think tank helipad, $200. It's got room for the DSLR and OTHER extras. Comes with a rain cover and it has a waist belt, essential for long hikes.

I use the Manfrotto D1. This guys does a solid review...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There is also a customized 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 pack for the P4. I may sell the D1 and get it. It is setup to take a hydration bladder and has a good amount of storage. Being LE/Mil grade, it has tons of molle to attached just about any add-on you can think of so you have near limitless expansion.

5.11 Rush 72 Military Grade DJI Phantom 4 Backpack (Black)

Nice bag, but $299!? forget it.

Nice bag, but $299!? forget it.

No, The 5.11 is $299. The D1 is $199. I got mine on eBay for $185 shipped.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that you were likely referring to the Rush 72. The pack itself can be found for about $100. You're paying nearly $200 for the insert.

Last edited:
The Manfrotto D1 is a lazy take on a drone/quadcopter backpack. They just recycled and changed a few things instead of actually going to the drawing board and making one from start.

I am not confident in putting my Phantom 4 inside the bag due to the lack of padding on the bottom of the backpack. Over time the constant bumping from putting the backback on the ground can/may damage the two bottom propeller engines.

I'm not sure how I feel about having multiple things inside one pouch rubbing up against each other either. For example using the pouches to store 2 batteries sounds like a bad idea.

$299 there are better options that are much cheaper.

The Manfrotto D1 is a lazy take on a drone/quadcopter backpack. They just recycled and changed a few things instead of actually going to the drawing board and making one from start.

I am not confident in putting my Phantom 4 inside the bag due to the lack of padding on the bottom of the backpack. Over time the constant bumping from putting the backback on the ground can/may damage the two bottom propeller engines.

I'm not sure how I feel about having multiple things inside one pouch rubbing up against each other either. For example using the pouches to store 2 batteries sounds like a bad idea.

$299 there are better options that are much cheaper.

First and foremost, the Manfrotto D1 is only $199.00.

I use a rigid foam insert to keep the batteries from touching one another. It works perfectly. There's actually more support at the bottom of the pack than what appears. When I receive the pack, it was the first thing that I scrutinized. The backing insert paired with all the stitching at the bottom reinforces it fairly well. I don't make it a habit of dropping my pack off of my back onto the ground so what padding is there is more than adequate in my opinion. A soft pack is for versatility. If you want max protection, you put it in the shell which is why I also have a Nanuk 945 on the way. Just my 2-cents.

Reactions: Gary Vaughan
Here's what I did with a pool noodle and a pack. It worked really well. You can check out the videos at Gary Vaughan.

BTW - it snowed and rained during this trip and between the pack, the noodle and the rain cover for the pack, the bird made the trip back home in one piece safe and sound.

Attachments

• IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 515
  • IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 507
  • IMG_4508.JPG
    IMG_4508.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 477

Members online

No members online now.