How do you access the remote controller Micro USB port?

Reaction score
I was attempting to verify/upgrade the remote controller firmware using the RC Assistant software. According to the user manual, to access the Micro USB port for the remote controller you must "open the rear cover to find the Micro-USB port on the board inner the remote controller". I was able to remove the 4 screws holding the back cover on but at that point it becomes clear that there is also a collar near the base of the antenna that must be removed. Can anybody please provide instructions on how to safely remove this collar and access the USB port inside the controller?

tiogapass said:
I was attempting to verify/upgrade the remote controller firmware using the RC Assistant software. According to the user manual, to access the Micro USB port for the remote controller you must "open the rear cover to find the Micro-USB port on the board inner the remote controller". I was able to remove the 4 screws holding the back cover on but at that point it becomes clear that there is also a collar near the base of the antenna that must be removed. Can anybody please provide instructions on how to safely remove this collar and access the USB port inside the controller?

The two halves come apart quite easily although it can seem a little dauting when the top seems to be inseparable.
The 'collar' holds the top of the two halves together with the antenna mast held in the middle. I find if i undo the four screws and then have the transmitter correct side round with the joysticks facing me, i can en lift up the top half from the bottom so the only bit still joined is at the top. Using a slight lift / wiggle/ pull down towards me - the top half of the transmitter slides itself out from under the collar leaving the collar still around the top of the bottom half and with the antenna still intact.

be careful not to seperate the two halves too far as they are joined by wire taking control signals from the joysticks back to the controller. also, if the antenna mast does come apart from the collar area, careful not to damage the wire and make sure you get the mast round the right way as it has a little plastic lug built into its base to stop it rotating indefinitely and possibly twisting the black wire inside it until it breaks.

the micro usb is at the top of the component at the bottom of the controller, its in a crappy place and i see no reason why it wasnt ported out of the transmitter casing. maybe they never though a firmware upgrade would be needed?

when screwing it back together, make sure all wires are clear of the screw holes and that the casing isn't crimping any wires

hope this helps, i can take mine apart again and post pics if you want - just shout :)

Thanks for the reply! I was very concerned about breaking something so I very gently and patiently followed your "slight lift / wiggle / pull down" advice and the two halves eventually came apart nicely. The firmware was upgraded successfully and the unit is back in one piece.

When I connected the PV up to my computer via micro USB today to take a look, I was able to upgrade the firmware for the controller via that connection (I think it even instructed me to do that with on screen instructions).

Still having connection problems with the wifi despite all the good tips here (thanks!), I'll keep reading and hoping.

Mark

I upgraded the controller just by connecting the PV to the USB and having them both powered up. AFAIK there is no need to take the controller apart.

tiogapass said:
Thanks for the reply! I was very concerned about breaking something so I very gently and patiently followed your "slight lift / wiggle / pull down" advice and the two halves eventually came apart nicely. The firmware was upgraded successfully and the unit is back in one piece.

i love it when a plan comes together!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie