How do they fine you if you don't have ID on you and you don't give them a real name?

Reaction score
Just wondering. It's not like you are in your car and you are required to have a Drivers License. If you just leave all your ID in your car or at home and you fly somewhere, and then they bust you and you say your name is ____, how will they ever enforce that?

Reactions: Kirby Johnson
Are you referring to the FAA? If so, you're required to attach your FAA registration number to your drone and have your registration information on your person whenever flying. Even if you don't audibly announce your name, they will have enough information to track you down. And, if you're not cooperating, I'd imagine there are others things they could do to you -- assuming you've broken some kind of law.

Keep it legal and you won't have to worry about such things.

Are you referring to the FAA? If so, you're required to attach your FAA registration number to your drone and have your registration information on your person whenever flying. Even if you don't audibly announce your name, they will have enough information to track you down. And, if you're not cooperating, I'd imagine there are others things they could do to you -- assuming you've broken some kind of law.
I usually have that, but I'm saying what if you didn't register nor have any ID?

What would happen if you're walking outside, break the law, have no identification on your person, and refuse to speak? The same would apply here.

No one in LE whether federal, state or local likes to be lied to! Giving false information in response to a legitimate request is just going to wrong in so many ways. I would never advocate slavishly following, but reasonable laws and rules just make society work more smoothly. Stand up to ignorance and abuse, but why go looking for trouble? And enough preaching

The FAA issued "guidelines" for all LEA many months ago. These guidelines clearly explained what the regulations for "sUAS Registration and Identification" are, how to check/verify, and what actions to take if it's not followed.

Should there be an "incident" and your aircraft is not properly marked they know what actions to take. If you give false information that's squarely on your shoulders as is the potential repercussions from such behavior.

All we can really say is, "Don't the THAT guy!" Like it or not we are all lumped into one pile and even if only one stinks we ALL stink in the perception of John Q. Public.

Coupled with your post about flying at LAX, it sounds as though you might be dong a bit more than "Just wondering" ?

Assuming your conduct gets you a ticket and you have no ID - your word is taken after some verifying information trying to verify it along with a thumbprint on the back of one of the copies of the ticket. Beyond a ticket - you're identified at jail by fingerprints or other. If probable cause to issue citation it's best to identify self & not lie. Deal with it in court if you feel wronged. IMHO YMMV ....fly safe!!...[emoji106]

Just wondering. It's not like you are in your car and you are required to have a Drivers License. If you just leave all your ID in your car or at home and you fly somewhere, and then they bust you and you say your name is ____, how will they ever enforce that?
I agree. I like flying at night. They would have a ******* time following and catching a little drone at night without scrambling a chopper. I wonder is there a way to turn off all the lights on the drone while it is in the air? It has been my PERSONAL experience with the local Barney Fifes that they are not smart enough, nor informed enough, nor inclined to enforce the FAA's rules.

If you've done nothing wrong, they won't ask for ID.

If you have, they will; generally in the order of name, birthdate and address.

They have radios/computers to confirm that.

If the confirmation proves to be inconsistent... do you really need to ask what happens next?

Reactions: BigAl07
I agree. I like flying at night. They would have a ******* time following and catching a little drone at night without scrambling a chopper. I wonder is there a way to turn off all the lights on the drone while it is in the air? It has been my PERSONAL experience with the local Barney Fifes that they are not smart enough, nor informed enough, nor inclined to enforce the FAA's rules.
Kirby,

Nothing illegal about flying at night if properly prepared. I prefer night flying to daylight.

Turning off all the lights IS illegal. No helicopter is about to "chase down" a drone, day or night.

I fly at night all the time and have talked with the local LEO's while flying. Answered their questions and they drove away while I still had 10 minutes left on that third battery.

Play by the odd rules that are in force and you're "home free"!!

AD (currently with 50+ hours of night time on the P4)

I usually have that, but I'm saying what if you didn't register nor have any ID?

They get some personal information (name, DOB, address, SS#, etc.) and see if it all matches what you gave to them. If you don't give them the correct information your may be guilty of another crime (much more serious). If they don't feel that you are giving the correct information they can simply take you to jail and straighten everything out there.

There is a scientific correlation between how honest you seem, whether the info you gave them is verifiable, your resemblance to anyone they have a BOLO for, and the number of flashing lights you are about to see.

Kirby,

Nothing illegal about flying at night if properly prepared. I prefer night flying to daylight.

Turning off all the lights IS illegal. No helicopter is about to "chase down" a drone, day or night.

I fly at night all the time and have talked with the local LEO's while flying. Answered their questions and they drove away while I still had 10 minutes left on that third battery.

Play by the odd rules that are in force and you're "home free"!!

AD (currently with 50+ hours of night time on the P4)
I like flying at night too. Since your an ex pilot maybe you can answer a question. Are there a lot less manned ac in the air at night in general?

I like flying at night too. Since your an ex pilot maybe you can answer a question. Are there a lot less manned ac in the air at night in general?

The simple answer is "yes". Not because GA pilot's aren't "Night Rated" (I think I read someone state that recently) because everyone is trained and rated for Night Flight (in general terms). More flying in GA takes place during the day when there is more to see and to do.

Our local airport is almost a ghost town after sunset except for Commercial carriers coming and going.

Now to stay "current" for FAA we have to make 3 take off and landings at night every 90 days if we intend to carry a passenger in the aircraft with us.

Reactions: anotherlab
The simple answer is "yes". Not because GA pilot's aren't "Night Rated" (I think I read someone state that recently) because everyone is trained and rated for Night Flight (in general terms). More flying in GA takes place during the day when there is more to see and to do.

Our local airport is almost a ghost town after sunset except for Commercial carriers coming and going.

Now to stay "current" for FAA we have to make 3 take off and landings at night every 90 days if we intend to carry a passenger in the aircraft with us.
Sorry was a dumb question really, kinda like less cars on the road at night :)

Sorry was a dumb question really, kinda like less cars on the road at night :)

Oh no far from dumb question. It was valid and I'm sure many other members had the same thought as well as future members.

Not a dumb question at all.

Most pilots (non-airline) simply don't like flying at night for a variety of reasons. Lack of familiar surroundings, different perspectives and the always popular "emergency landing area" availability at night.

A lot of drivers don't like to drive at night (my wife is one) and will only do it if they absolutely have to.

I think I may have some kind of "night chromosome" in my nucleic acids that makes we always head to the dark or something.

I must have given 1000's of night checkouts to Private Pilots over the years. I flew night cargo for most of my adult life and volunteered to do the night training flights for pretty much anyone who wanted some time off during my military instructor days.

I even enjoy having the boat out on the water after dark, just to relax. Too bad the wife really is spooked at night on the Gulf of Mexico. Oh well.

AD (I like the lights on the P4 after dark)

They'll interrogate the people that come to visit you in jail.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic