How do people react to your phantom?

When I fly at the bluffs above the local beach I almost always get approached by folks. All of these encounters have been positive.

When I first got into quads I was less smart about where I was launching from. I took off in the sand near the Huntington Beach Pier one day and while I was flying a lifeguard jeep approached me and the lifeguard came out and told me not to take off or land on the sand. He said I could fly over the water, just not take off/land in the sand.

Another time I was flying high above a televised surf contest and was approached by two event security guards when I landed and asked not to fly around their event.

In both cases they were polite and I could understand why they didn't want me around. Since then I've been more thoughtful about where I fly and where I take off/land.

Oh, I did have one lady yell at me "you better not be filming me" when she was walking on the beach boardwalk. :roll:

TuT said:
2nd flight of my new Vision+ was over a beach in Sydney. The manager of the local surf club came and asked me not to fly because there had been complaints that I was photographing children.
I was flying around 100ft so I showed him the monitor feed and how small the people were on the beach.
Now I'm a bit afraid to fly anywhere near people.
TuT .. if you were up 100 ft, it's about them - not you.
Some people are quite twisted and think everyone else must be too.
Fortunately these twats are a very small minority.

Nothing but good reactions to my Phantom and my Flamewheel, notably:
A little girl of no more than 4 who was desperate to 'have a go' on the Phantom
A little old lady of at least 80 who was totally and utterly fascinated by the Phantom and insisted on me "taking her picture" with it
A gentleman who was a professional helicopter pilot who was completely taken by my Flamewheel, had never seen the like, and who had more questions than I could have imagined. I'm betting he went and bought one!

I notice many people pause on their walks to watch for a few minutes.

Generally I don't even take off when I see people in the proximity. When I see people with kids I don't even take my Phantom out of the bag until they are gone. Kids are too unpredictable. But encounters I had were just positive. Specially older folks are very interested and positive, they clearly are not influenced by everything on the net and social media, simply because they don't use computers and smart phones that much (if at all) I guess. Only once someone asked if it is legal to fly where I fly but just out of curiosity. When I explain what I do and that I am flying within the legal limits people always react positively. When I show them the FPV screen they also understand that it can't and never will be used for spying at other people.

Here's a youtube clip I took at an old sluice. Older folks on bikes stopped and where very interested. We had a very nice conversation. I promised them to put the clip on youtube so they could see themselves from a drone perspective. (but I doubt they even know how to find it on the web)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVa6-Qs1C-w[/youtube]

I often fly over water at a lakefront park. This park has a running trail so there are often people walking by. I usually have 1 or 2 people stop and ask me about it every time I am out there. I often give them a little demo flight. And sometimes ask them if they want an aerial picture that I then email or text to them. Most people enjoy it. Two weeks ago there were some guys playing soccer, I asked them If i could record them and edit a little video. I then emailed it to a few of them, they loved it. I think that sharing and getting people involved in it is a positive for the hobby. Last week they had a couple who was getting married at this park, after all was over I asked if I could take a picture. They loved it. I am thinking of editing a video with all the people who stop to ask me about the phantom.

Video guys soccer at lakefront https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzbgK3Jc2y8

Video teenagers at lakefront https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1ZKOedc10

Attachments

• G0054052_1.jpg
    G0054052_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 319
  • G0053468.JPG (1)_1.jpg
    G0053468.JPG (1)_1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 245
lake_flyer said:
Here's a youtube clip I took at an old sluice.
Nice video. I like the car on the boat. I could tell from the plate on the vehicle it is not in the USA.
A+ for the good PR for our hobby(addiction).

I've not flown in the UK (where I live) yet, but in Portugal people seem amazed by the Phantom.

I at times will fly at a local park. Not often and when people are not normally there. I have had a couple of older gents ask me about it and one lady asking because her husband was interested in these. All encounters were nice. One day while driving by the park I saw a local cop at the park and pulled in to ask him about flying there. I explained how I fly etc and don't get close to people. At times they will play soccer or baseball there. If they are there when I arrive, I leave and fly at home which is 3 acres. But....if I'm flying there safely and some jerkwad wants to come up and give me crap, I'll bring down the quad and if he gets in my face...I'll drop him. Homey don't play that game.

BTW....the cop had no issue with me flying there.

I haven't had much chance lately to take my Phantom out but did manage to visit a local castle ruin. There were a few people about but no one questioned me until I reached the car park after my flight. Spookily it was one of my old teachers from 40 years ago :shock:
The main question was basically about invading people's privacy with it. I explained rules and regulations that need to be followed and the apprehensive attitude changed to one of more interest.
I have been a photographer for a few years and have always been a bit reluctant to photograph in some places due to people's blinkered attitude.
The trouble with our hobby is the same as any other someone will have an issue with it and find someway of scaremongering others. This minority will always be listened to somehow get there way and then lead to more restrictions.

Most people will watch it while walking past, and a few have come over asking the usual questions about it. How high, how far, how much etc. Ive yet to come across someone who isnt happy.

Happyflyer said:
lake_flyer said:
Here's a youtube clip I took at an old sluice.
Nice video. I like the car on the boat. I could tell from the plate on the vehicle it is not in the USA.
A+ for the good PR for our hobby(addiction).

Thanks.
It's the Netherlands, at an ancient sluice from the 17th century.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.