How do I replace the AVL58 with an IMRC 600mw

Reaction score
G'day all.
I want to take this AVL58 off, and put on an IMRC 600mw.

It's just 4 wires into a plug.
If I buy an IMRC 600mw and mount it where the AVL58 was, what else would I need to do?
This is on a Carbon Fibre DJI Phantom 2, with H3-3D Gimbal, and I'm not sure what OSD or other systems are, as it was put together by a Hobbyshop for me, but they're now a 3 hour drive away, and the local hobby shops are treating multirotors like some kind of passing fad, and not bothering to support them, or stock much in the way of them, or show any interest in helping those who are into them. Their loss.
It's currently transmitting (if you can call it that) to a 7" BlackPearl monitor with about 8 channels and a couple of "bands" so I'm not sure if it's the 32 channel, or the 7 channel. I'm learning as fast as I can what all the gear I got with this things is, and what it does, but it will take me a while to get my head around everything.

You have the 32 channel Black Pearl, which is generally not recommended for use with the IRC 600mw tx. Some users report the combo works fine, but there are enough reports of range issues that one should be cautious about pairing the two together.

Instead, I suggest the Boscam TS353, which is cheaper than the IRC 600 and compatible with your 32ch Black Pearl. You'll want to buy a plug and play cable to avoid soldering. And finally, iOSD Mini.

TS353: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... itter.html
iOSD Mini: http://www.amazon.com/DJI-iOSD-Mini-Rea ... B00FKZZQQS
Plug n Play cable: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable- ... xtech.html

Also, upgraded antennas for both the transmitter and receiver will do you good: http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=106

dptcalvin said:
You have the 32 channel Black Pearl, which is generally not recommended for use with the IRC 600mw tx. Some users report the combo works fine, but there are enough reports of range issues that one should be cautious about pairing the two together.

Instead, I suggest the Boscam TS353, which is cheaper than the IRC 600 and compatible with your 32ch Black Pearl. You'll want to buy a plug and play cable to avoid soldering. And finally, iOSD Mini.

TS353: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... itter.html
iOSD Mini: http://www.amazon.com/DJI-iOSD-Mini-Rea ... B00FKZZQQS
Plug n Play cable: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable- ... xtech.html

Also, upgraded antennas for both the transmitter and receiver will do you good: http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=106

Great post. Thanks

That was an awesome reply. Thank you so much for that.

My antenna are IBCrazy Mad Mushroom and Air Screw Bluebeam Ultra. Would they do? I also have a pair of Spironet Fatsharks as well just in case. Not sure I'll need to upgrade from those, but that's some impressive looking aerials you've recommended. I might have to grab them for an experiment or two just to see how they go.

I already have horribly poor range, which is why I'm considering the upgrade to the 600mw. Could that lack of range be related to the fact that I have the 32channel rather than being related to the AVL58?
I'm happy to sell off the 32 and grab a 7Channel if it would fix the range I currently get, let alone if it would fix the range issue with an upgrade to the 600mw or the T5353.

I already have OSD, is there a reason I need to change to iOSD Mini? There must already be some kind of OSD system installed now, though I'm not sure what type/brand.
I'm guessing the change of OSD system is to accommodate the change to the 7channel?
I'd be happy to change the 32channel anyway, as I only get an hour 30 minutes of use from it before it's flat. With 3 batteries for the Phantom, I've got almost an hour of play time if you include the time between changes etc, so the monitor is normally complaining of being pretty close to flat by that time, and then I start to get really nervous.

Thanks again for the really detailed reply. I greatly appreciate people with your level of experience taking the time to help me out. I've a lot of learning to do.

I think either the IRC 600 or TS353 would be a fine choice. I think it's a misconception to think that increased range comes with increased wattage. True to some extent, but the TS353 (400mw) is reported to be no slouch. The TS353 is the cheaper route since you don't have to replace the monitor that way, so I'd suggest trying that first before changing the transmitter and monitor/receiver.

For unknown reasons, only the IRC 600 and 32 channel Black Pearl seem to have problems. Otherwise, the 32 channel Black Pearl should be fine for any other transmitter. For whatever reason, the IRC 600 just really likes the 7 channel version better.

I'd say just swap the AVL58 for the TS353 for now and see what kind of range you're getting. If it's still not up to par with your expectations, get the FPVLR antenna kit. Good antennas are important. Heck, I remember the day I upgraded the rabbit ears for my television back in the day. What a difference, haha.

What sort of OSD do you have now? You're not talking about the GoPro's OSD, are you? If so, then that's completely different from the iOSD Mini that displays important and useful telemetry data from your bird itself. Things like distance, height, speed, battery life.

Perhaps buy a spare battery for your Black Pearl rather than replacing the whole thing. You can buy one here: http://www.rangevideo.com/lcd-screen-ac ... 15hrs.html

or just sell the BP, recover some $ and get something else like the RX-LCD5802. just a thought.

don't forget you may change the antenna type (SMA on ImmersionRC vs RP-SMA on Boscam) and gender (male/female) when you change equipment...
according to the antenna connector stickythread, the AVL58 has a RP-SMA Female connector, which means your current transmit antenna has a RP-SMA Male connector. the ImmersionRC has an SMA-Female so you'd have to either buy an adaptor or a new antenna. just want this to be something you're factoring when you consider what to buy

Boscam uses RP-SMA female so if you went to the TS353, you could use the same antenna but sounds like you need new antennas anyway.

I'm one of the biggest proponents of Boscam transmitter and FPVLR antennas around here, so if it were me...
ASSUMING your BP display works fine and you don't necessarily want to replace it... and you can afford it...
replace the AVL58 with a TS353
replace the DJI FPV Hub with the DPCAV PnP cable (for Boscam)
If you don't already, get an iOSD Mini!! (the aforementioned cable expects you to have one)
replace current transmit antenna with the FPVLR pentalobe (RP-Sma Male to match TS353)
get the FPVLR 5.8Ghz 4.25 turn helix for your receiver antenna on your display. make sure to match the type and gender to whatever display you wind up with!!
bear in mind a helix is a directional antenna so you need to keep it pointed at the Phantom for optimal performance

I can't imagine selling the BP for more than $200. Factor in shipping and PayPal fees, you're looking at $185-190. You're only getting $50-60 or so by doing that.

IMO, just work with what you have. Since he has the BP already, just get the TS353 and be done with it. Don't need new antennas altogether, just adapters. Usually less than $10.

I have adaptors that came with the bluebeams (and I think with the spironets too).
One is a 90degreee one that now lets the antenna hang vertically below the quad instead of sideways from it. Not sure that helps, but it brings the bulb of the antenna out the bottom of the quad away from everything else, where it used to stick out sideways and have the whole quad in the way if facing in a direction that had the antenna on the far side.

I'll stick with the BP for a while, and will try the TS353 first.

I have pretty thorough OSD, it gives height, distance, heading, artificial horizon, climb/descent rate, battery percentage, No of GPS Satellites, Indicator whether it's in GPS or ATT, and a diamond indicates where home is when I'm facing roughly towards home, and an arrow and the degrees to turn to face home again.
I don't know what brand or system it is, but it's not likely to be part of the GoPro.

Ezookiel, that is indeed the DJI iOSD Mini which is exactly what you want. The GoPro itself does have an OSD option, with stuff like the resolution & framerate you're in, a recording indicator (a big red icon when recording) and record time remaining on the SD card.
So effectively you might be seeing 2 different "on screen displays" on top of one another. I personally don't think they conflict and have both enabled because I often forget to start recording, so I like the big red icon telling me I am indeed recording... but other people feel like it clutters up the screen and prefer the gopro OSD off.

if you're switching to the TS353, don't forget what I said about antennas, you'll either need an adaptor or a new antenna because the ImmersionRC and TS353 have very different antenna connectors!

I will have to look into the GoPro OSD.
I've lost count of how many times I've had to bring the quad back in order to turn on the recording, or simply not recorded any of an entire flight because I've forgotten to start it up.
I like the idea of a recording indicator. I'll look into that.
I'll also look into that TS353 straight after my next pay. Anything to get better than 200m range would be great. That's 200m over open water with the quad at around 40-50m height, so there's NOTHING between me and it, and still can't get past 200 most of the time. If I can't fix the problem, I'll end up giving up on flying at all, it's been such a long endless frustration.

Ezookiel said:
Anything to get better than 200m range would be great.

I have only been playing with this hobby for few months now. Having a blast too.

I have been reading up with this and trying to figure out how to improve the control and FPV distance. With the FP video, the biggest bang for the buck comes from the receiver antenna upgrade. You can work on the transmitter side to tweak it, but the receiver side is "where it is at". I read where you can double the transmitter power, but only improve the distance by 1.4 times. So changing out the AVL58 will not give you the long distance you desire. That being said, I am about to change to the TS353 too.

I have been pestering Tony at fpvlr.com with tons questions....he is one patient person. I use an AVL58 with a pinwheel and put a pinwheel and 4 1/4-turn helix on my receiver. I routinely go to 1200 meters before the video starts going out. I just ordered another helix from him....this time the 12 turn helix. Will see how that one does.

terrylowe said:
With the FP video, the biggest bang for the buck comes from the receiver antenna upgrade. You can work on the transmitter side to tweak it, but the receiver side is "where it is at".

this is absolutely true. the wattage of your transmitter is not nearly as important as the quality of antennas. The AVL58 isn't the best transmitter (because it's heavy and sucks power like crazy compared to others) but with good antennas it will perform just fine.

Ezookiel, chances are you're being hindered by your antennas I think if you throw another $100 or so at antennas you will have the FPV performance you want (mile+ range easy)

It didn't cost much to try the bluebeams and I even bought spironets "just in case" as well. So I'm not afraid to throw a bit more money in that direction if it does the job.
A bit further up in this thread there was a recommendation for a set of antennas, I'll scroll back up and find them, and put in an order for a set of those, or should I be seeking out a set like Terrylowe mentions above?
I'd heard the bluebeam ultra were supposed to be really good. Looks like I should have studied a little longer before buying them. I got only 200m over open water with nothing between myself and the quad on Friday, and had to turn back as by that point I'd lost all video. Oddly, I always get it back the moment I turn the quad around to come back, but the antenna hangs vertically below the quad. I just don't get why it works coming home, but not heading out.

Can you post a picture of your antenna placement?

The BlueBeam Ultra "Air Screw" with the 90 degree adaptor:

The FatShark Spironet without adaptor:

everything I've ever read says NOT to have the FPV transmit antenna right next to the Phantom's compass... yours couldn't be closer. :)
I'd have spun the orientation around so that the FPV antenna was on the leg that doesn't have the compass, and done an internal iOSD mini install. I think it's ugly and pointless to have it on the outside

that's a gorgeous custom job, imo cluttered up by all the cables and junk on the outside that should be inside... very pretty shell though!

It was put together by a company in Sydney (about 3 hours away from me).
I can see their handiwork is going to lead me to eventually get brave enough to start learning DIY on these things.
Not too happy so far with anything to do with this whole unit. And still waiting for the "carbon fibre" patterned leg to arrive. It's been months with one white leg.
But now to hear that some of that could have been installed inside, and isn't installed in the best place, is kind of annoying. Really does prove the "If you want a job done properly, you need to do it yourself" adage.
I really really appreciate how helpful everyone here has been. The help I've found here, has ensured that the unpleasantness of a very bad "RTF" purchase, has been offset by really helpful people determined to help me solve the problems. Thank you all so very much for that. I really do genuinely appreciate the help.
I hope to be able to return the favour and help others here with what I'm learning from this.

dptcalvin said:

Order placed, Priority Shipping as well.

Did manage 400m today with the BlueBeam Air Screw on the quad, and the Spironet on the receiver, but that was a very patchy unreliable 400m. Enough to identify that I'd reached the island, but not enough to see any details, except a big white patch where the wharf was, against a big dark patch which was the island itself. Sure not much use.
I'll be quite keen to try these new antennae.
Might end up having to get an antenna tracker if I'm going to keep working towards better and better range and reception LOL. This is like owning a 4WD - there's always another upgrade or modification still to do :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic