How do I power down after catching?

After all this fuss about hand catching, which I do 99.99% of flights, I decided to do a regular landing on my driveway last night. Have to admit it is very satisfying. But still I'd rather catch in dirty or windy conditions.

Reactions: flpholt
I want catch my P4 instead of land, but when I tried today, after I caught it, I tried to power down but it didn't register it had landed and therefore the props didn't switch off?

Don't do it. It will end in pain! Check my finger from last weeks error of judgement.

Attachments

• IMG_20160618_190741~2.jpg
    IMG_20160618_190741~2.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 306
Don't do it. It will end in pain! Check my finger from last weeks error of judgement.
I would say don't handcatch it looks like it isn't for you some people due it like walking just comes easy

no cliffs in florida

Will I create any problem (over-stress electronics etc) by hovering my P3P at the correct height, then setting the RC down on the ground, and walking over and catching the P3P with both hands on the landing gear. Then while still holding the P3P above my head using my thumb to just turn off the battery. This seems to really work easily for me while flying alone in tall grass or at a sandy/dusty location. Constructive comments welcome.
Thanks.
Joe
KC7GHT

Will I create any problem (over-stress electronics etc) by hovering my P3P at the correct height, then setting the RC down on the ground, and walking over and catching the P3P with both hands on the landing gear. Then while still holding the P3P above my head using my thumb to just turn off the battery. This seems to really work easily for me while flying alone in tall grass or at a sandy/dusty location. Constructive comments welcome.
Thanks.
Joe
KC7GHT
why don't you just stand under it hit autoland put rc down soon as you catch it motors will shut off automatically

I am not positive but I think if you shut your battery off in that manner you may screw up your video on the SD card by not shutting down properly. Hand catching is not really that hard.

I hand catch 100% of the time. If it's windy or the bird is in a drifting hover, just add a little more altitude (a few inches) and reach UP to the gear, keeping the props further away from hand and fingers.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am not positive but I think if you shut your battery off in that manner you may screw up your video on the SD card by not shutting down properly. Hand catching is not really that hard.

OK I will have to test that. I always stop my video when finished. I don't remember having any SD card problems, but I will test again. It sure works easy for me, because I don't need to hold the RC at the same time I am reaching for the landing gear. The battery OFF button is right there waiting to be pushed.
Cheers, Joe
KC7GHT

An EVA exercise mat, you can buy from most department stores for $10-15, make a great landing pad. Easy to carry and cheap. A garden sign, like you get from gardening stores for $5 can be used as a warning sign.
Cost of a law suit from someone attempting to catch your UAV and loosing a finger, could be millions. This is my biggest fear. I'm licensed to pilot UAVs commercially in Australia but no regulation will save me from legal action from an injured bystander or put my finger back on.
Everyone knows better after.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub